Looking for good discount for children's fares

Cruising Aussie Mum

Hello, we are a family of 4 (children ages 10 and 7). We are looking to book a family cruise in either the Caribbean or Mexico on one of the mainstream lines, preferably on a large, newish ship with lots of facilities, activities and great kids programs.

Is anyone aware of a cruise line that offers particularly great discounts for children (as the 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin)? I was thinking that I had read on here about children sometimes going free or really cheap - like $200 each or something. I could be mistaken.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Unless they are infants, cruise lines make the third and fourth pay a set amount, usually anywhere from $300 on up. I don't know of any cruise line that lets kids sail free, even when sharing a cabin. NCL allows infants and toddlers sail for only the port taxes, but older kids pay the full third person amount.

Ok let me try to explain it. The cruise lines that offer a reduced kids fair (like Disney) will often charge you more for the first two people in the room. Like MUCH more. So the discount will be negilgable.

The 3rd and 4th rate depends on what ship/itinerary. And YES, some of the main ones (Royal Carribean and Carnival) have sales. I have paid $99 for the 3rd and 4th guest on BOTH Carnival and Royal Cariibean. You just have to look for the specials.

Go to a booking site like expedia or travelocity to do your research. Choose the destination you want, then the amount of days and then choose to display the cruises in order of PRICE.

For instance, when I pick the Carribean in the month of August...at least 10 Carnival and Royal Carribean cruises come up before 1 Disney or Norwegian.

Each 3rd and 4th person rate depends on ship/itinerary/time of year. But you are going to have better sucess with finding a lower rate on Royal or Carnival.

Also, if price is really important, pick a time of year that cost less. The week AFTER Thanksgiving, always cheap. Any date in Sept/Oct...CHEAP. The last 2 weeks in August. And sometimes MAY isn't bad, right after Spring break. Summer months are the most expensive.

Also, if you want newer ships with all of the bells/whistles for kids try the Voyager class on Royal Carribean (http://www.rccl.com click on ships, then look at Voyager Class). The Freedom class has the MOST bells/whistles for kids than on ANY other ship on the sea, but you will pay more for it.

We booked a cruise with Carnival for this November. We got a balcony guarantee reservation for $780/adult and $270/3rd and 4th passengers. The problem is that they charge the exact same amount of port charges for each passenger, no matter what age, so that's another $240/pp. Anyway, just thought I'd remind you to pay attention to the 'hidden' port charges that do add up.

We booked a cruise with Carnival for this November. We got a balcony guarantee reservation for $780/adult and $270/3rd and 4th passengers. The problem is that they charge the exact same amount of port charges for each passenger, no matter what age, so that's another $240/pp. Anyway, just thought I'd remind you to pay attention to the 'hidden' port charges that do add up.

That's a given. Port fees/govt taxes aren't "hidden". There is no way around them no matter what cruiseline you are on.

That's a given. Port fees/govt taxes aren't "hidden". There is no way around them no matter what cruiseline you are on.

I'm sorry...I really didn't mean for it to come across that way:( I just meant, that no matter what great deal you get for the 3rd and 4th passengers, to not forget about the port fees/govt. taxes that are added on and are the same amount no matter what age the traveller is.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone:confused:

I'm sorry...I really didn't mean for it to come across that way:( I just meant, that no matter what great deal you get for the 3rd and 4th passengers, to not forget about the port fees/govt. taxes that are added on and are the same amount no matter what age the traveller is.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone:confused:

No worries. :D I understood what you meant.

It is sooo hard to try to figure out the different prices for every cruiseline. Even for someone like me who monitors them all pretty often.

I do alot of fake reservations on the different sites just to see what specials are popping up. PLUS, you should always sign up at the different cruiseline web sites cause they each have their own specials that they send out. Like Carnival sends out specials every Wednesday.

Happy cruising :)

that 3rd person rate can sometimes costs MORE then the 1st two passengers on some cruises.

Check out our groups Liberty cruise.. a family of 4 in an inside cabin will be paying 459pp for the 3rd and 4th person while the 1st two will sail for 388.00

the 3rd and 4th person rate fluctuate daily-- depends on how many cabins are left for triples and quads-- if few are left the price sky rockets.

for our cruise its a lot cheaper for a family to book two cabins then it is to put all 4 in one cabin

Got an email today from an online travel site says Holland is running 199 for 3/4 on some cruises.

I just got one that said...

Celebrity Alaska Sailings

3rd/4th person only: $ 249 pp

I still think that once you factor in the price for 1st and 2nd person on HAL or Celebrity that the total price of the cruise will still be much more compared to a Carnival or RCCL ship.

I just went to Google and typed in Kids Sail Free.... Cruise lines that came up with blurbs were... Crystal (Very Expensive and cabins only accommodate 3)

MSC, Regent (Also expensive, but have rooms for 4), and NCL.

Most of these blurbs say limited time...select cruises... while available.. and I did not click to look at the details.

Probably the best thing to do is to look for cruises that you might be interested in...and then price out the 3rd and 4th person.

A new really great cruise finding engine is:

http://www.kayak.com

I really like the way it narrows down available cruises in certain time frames.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!:) I've been experimenting with some of your suggestions. At this point we are leaning towards going on the new Liberty of the Seas in April 2008. It is pricing at $599 for each of the kids - not the best children's fares, but love the idea of the water park, flow rider, ice skating show, etc.

I was looking on the RCL website and did not see where it is that I can sign up to receive the special offers. Can anyone point me in the right direction? At this point the price is about $3000 for an inside for 4 or $3400 for an outside. Is this a good price?

Thanks!:)

for 4 people sailing during a high peak family season. (spring break is there also) its a new ship.

Yes,its a good price. ROyal caribbean does not discount their cruises so if you book it and see the price come down you call the agent and ask for the price decrease.

Archived