Have you had your cruise price increased after deposit was paid?

NCP

I just received an email from my travel agent indicating that the government fees and taxes on my cruise had been adjusted by an additional amount and

such amount was added to my account to reflect the correct amount for this voyage.

I called Princess and they informed me that they have not had any increases in port charches or taxes recently.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience.

Yes, but it was definitely from Princess. They passed along an increase in port charges. We were notified after we boarded our May 7, 2004 Royal Princess cruise. I forget which port it was that increased the fee but it was passed along, maybe an extra 10 to 15 dollars each. Some passengers did complain at the purser's desk but I didn't hear of it being removed. Didn't let it bother us. We thought they handled it nicely with an adequately worded notice. Who is going to get off a cruise ship after a trans-atlantic flight because the cost goes up 20-30/couple? However if Princess says it has not been levied from them, that would make me worry about my TA.

The port for our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Diamond was changed from Long Beach to San Pedro and the port charge increase was passed along to us. This is quit common. If they go down they will be passed along also.

Yes, we had it happen for our upcoming cruise. It was not much at all, but was said to be increases in government fees. The only beef I had was that it was done after I had signed my final payment charge slip. When the charges hit my account I noticed it was different than the ticket copy I had. I expressed my displeasure with not being notified by anyone. It wasn't the money, because it was so little.

I just received an email from my travel agent indicating that the government fees and taxes on my cruise had been adjusted by an additional amount ....I called Princess and they informed me that they have not had any increases in port charches or taxes recently
Could it be possible that the TA was notified some time ago by Princess and is just getting around to passing this information on to you?

I should add that you get a credit for port fees if you miss a port. It turned up immediately for us on our onboard account when we had to skip Princess Cays due to the weather -- we naturally would much rather have made the stop, however, but at least we got our refund.

How much are you talking about, and what is your cruise destination? French Polynesia raised their taxes quite significantly, depending on the itinerary. It was $45 for Cook Islands, and $75 for the Marquesas if memory serves. Most other changes, in the Caribbean for example, are quite small.

Sponerob you are right my Marquesas Cruise on the Tahitian Dec 3/04 government fees got increased in February to $74.44 per pax...As I said in my previous posting, port charges and governement fees are something that is completely out of Princess's control if they go up or down, either way those additional cost and/or savings will always be passed down to pax at anytime prior to sailing if it happens!

Thanks to all of you!;)

My travel agent sent me a copy of the fax her agency received from Princess informing them of the increase in costs for the cruise.

Before receiving the fax, I phoned twice Princess cruises and I got the same answer twice: thera was not an increase in taxes or port charges.:confused:

Go figure!

But I am not worried at all!

I was curious to find out how frequent are the changes in taxes and port charges. Now I know that thanks to all of you!

Hve a great week end!:cool:

Archived