HAL is a great value!

Desdemona01

We just returned from a week in one of my favorite cities, Chicago. For those who complain about the "nickel-and-dime" charges on HAL I just wanted to share a few experiences. We stayed at a legendary, luxurious 4-star hotel in the Loop, which we loved. The room, in the $250/night average range (plus $38/day for parking), was smaller than any HAL stateroom we've occupied. A breakfast for 2 of oatmeal and toast, with coffee, was almost $40 w/tip. My DH ordered an Old-Fashioned in the bar--$12 plus tip. A glass of house white wine was $11. A glass of soda was $3.75. No free coffee or ice tea in the restaurant, needless to say.:) A 20 oz. bottle of water from the mini bar was $3.95. And, while the service was very good, nothing came close to the HAL experience.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and love to visit there as often as possible. But, as far as value goes, HAL wins hands down. Since we've been cruising more often lately than visiting Chicago it was a reality check as far as how spoiled we have become with HAL:D

I did a similiar comparison like this in early December when we went to stay a night at the Green Valley Resort here in Las Vegas. We played tourist for a day and night and were totally amazed at the cost and with it was lack of service. We had a fairly expensive dinner Approx $200 and the food was not that great. I did enjoy the spa but then this was a land based resort with lots of room to spread out so it should be nice. But price comparison I have had better massages for far less in the Green House Spa on HAL:)

Desdemona, Are you possibly a very new bride? with a DH who writes for a t.V. show?

Actually, no :D. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, 4 kids, and our first grandchild, a boy, is due next month!

(BTW, my DH is a frustrated writer who would LOVE to write for a TV show ;) )

Was someone famous honeymooning in Chi-town while we were there, and I missed it???!!!

Des

Thanks for sharing your Chicago bill with us. You are so right about the costs. We've been singing the value praises of cruising for nearly 4 decades. For me, year in and year out, it's almost always the best value in the travel industry

In 2003 I went on a 7 day eastern Caribbean with a friend. About the same time a couple I knew went to an "All Inclusive" in the Caribbean. Even with a rather large bar tab for the week, they paid quite a bit more for the land based vacation that included alcohol. I can't see where the "All Inclusive" resorts are really a good deal based on that.

Rich

Try getting a room alone in Rome for under $700 a day!!!!!!
Really? We paid 300 Euro for a 3-night stay at the Forus Inn Roma last summer. That's just $390 US for all three nights. Just a few blocks from the central train/transportation station.

There are many hotels in the 200 Euro range near Termini station, and a search of Expedia or Orbitz, etc. can find you lots of them.

We prefer the Hotel Eliseo, at Porta Poinciana, at the top of the Via Veneto and around the corner, with a breakfast room (with chocolate-filled cornetti!) that overlooks Villa Borghese and the sweep from Trinita di Monte, the church at the top of Spanish Steps, to the Vatican. A quick look at their web site just now showed rates for April and September for a double at 250 Euro -- prices apparently have gone up a little since a few years ago, but it is still a reasonable rate for a nice hotel in a great location.

Dave

I live outside Chicago and know how costly the city, any major city can be, for a simple weekend. Did you perhaps stay at the Allerton?

Hi hammybee,

We were at the Palmer House. We had tickets for performances at the Chicago Theater, Ford Center, and the Auditorium, so it was PERFECT for walking to/from the theaters. We loved the hotel, service and the restaurant (the Big Downtown). Because we were there during the week the rates were higher because most of their M-F customers are businessmen/women on expense accounts. We plan on staying there whenever we can but, as I said, it was an eye opener as to how spoiled we are on our cruises!;)

I could not agree more. We usually vacation in hawaii every year and the prices on our cruises really spoil us. The values are amazing especially for drinks.

In hawaii you get a long island ice tea for $15... on HAL, it is never more than $6.

I hear people complaining about the cost of drinks and things all the time, but i am not sure if they have ever ventured out into any major city...

Archived