Claustrophpbic's View of CB 8-15 Apr (Long)

ebonybee

Caribbean Princess 8-15th April. First time cruising Princess since we are devoted RCCL Radiance Class ship lovers. This was pretty much a last minute booking-three weeks prior to sailing, and decided on Princess due to itinerary and price since we were paying for our adult children. I got all “mommyish” thinking this will be our last opportunity to travel as a family since everyone has completed college.

Originally booked Caribe Deck because the mini-suites on Dolphin Deck are exposed. DH stated he didn’t care and wanted the extra room and previously on all other ships we always had a suite. However, we usually don’t have the added expense of kids and I was trying to economize. He argued he was trying to insure I had enough room due to me suffering from claustrophobia —I stated “claus” and me would be just fine in a balcony. He usually spends a lot of time in the cabin and this issue was threatening our marriage so I was bullied into booking a mini-suite, an AE guarantee, and received AB Cabin 315. My son begged me just to book an inside for him, but claustraphobia made me booked an oceanview for kids.

Please note that my comments about this cruise are affected by my claustrophobia. First impression by an RCCL fan—ship is big, like the Navigator, but lacks the decorator’s impact to the interior of the ship. The atrium was an unimpressive hotel lobby. There was not one place in the interior that I thought was absolutely stunning and a photo moment. There is just not a lot of light or glass that allows the feel of the ocean to penetrate your senses. The art was stuff you see in any mid range hotel or even your house—no WOW moments.

Outside-Plenty of WOW moments. We absolutely loved the number of pools and hot tubs and were very impressed that there was no sound bleed from the one pool area to another. Even when the 20 year olds were doing the hairy legs contest, those of us at the adult pool on the back were not impacted, something I really appreciated. There is so much deck space; there is no reason for chair hogs to exist. MUTS everyone thought was a great idea, even though I slept through late night shows.

Service- Absolutely the best we have received since our days at Celebrity. RCCL is now in third place with us. Cabin Steward, Eugenio was excellent and I submitted a “you make the difference card.” Asked for a lounge chair for balcony and he stated would do so, but it would not be placed until the next morning. The next morning lounge chair was in place, bed made with egg crate mattress, and robes all received. You now have to request ice, but that was supplied morning and night. Extra lotions, bath oil, and towels were left as requested. We had anytime dining and use the Palm Dining Room because of recommendations from Cruise Critic and very few people can find it. Hint: Find the Fusion Lounge on the seventh floor and go down the steps-Voila! A table for four alone was never more than a 7-minute wait—we timed it! I couldn’t tell by the service that the waiter was assured his tip. We had a different table each night and service was fabulous on two nights and just O.K. on the very last night.

Gym—We are huge gym rats and DH thought the gym was the best for him. I am a fan of thermal loungers but I was disappointed because they were located in an INSIDE grotto which had no windows or view to the outside. I did not and could not relax in such a confined area. So RCCL gets a point.

Cabins- Smaller than RCCL, with the lack of a sofa being most noticeable. The bathroom even with a bathtub, mini-suites are smaller than other lines we have cruise in the same category. However, I would book again. We also looked at the full suites and DH (RCCL Grand Suite Fan) was unimpressed. I however, thought the full suites were just as nice as RCCL’s. Here again though, Princess does not do enough to create a luxury atmosphere for suite customers in comparison to other lines.

Food- we give the points to Princess over RCCL but not Celebrity. DH and son were wowed by the seafood buffet. Since daughter and I are allergic to all shellfish we could only just look. Both seafood eaters thought this was very well done. There was shrimp and many fish courses every night in the Horizon/Caribe cafes. The design and flow of the Horizon is truly awful and should not be repeated on newer ships. I really liked that even in the wee hours in the morning you could have a steak, omelet, chicken or salmon freshly prepared for you. I don’t eat pizza anywhere but son gave it a thumbs down . Thumbs up for burgers, French fries, and hot dogs. Dessert-DH would fight you over the oatmeal raisin cookies that disappeared as soon as they were placed on buffet. Cheesecake was a hit with female members. The variety and constant replenishment of fresh fruit was just excellent. Breakfast---was breakfast.

Entertainment – I actually liked Princess better than RCCL but this may be because we usually take cruises that are over 10 days and entertainment is designed for older and more sedate crowd. However, I think that Carnival has the best entertainment at sea. Skywalker-DJ was awful—just wasn’t up to date even with rave music (according to son). I requested “it’s raining men” and he had no idea. Bartenders and servers were not aggressive in pushing drinks and also did not have a lot of drinks in their repertoire. I favor any line over Princess for bartenders. DH wanted to know where was “Issac” from the Love Boat series and that he was desperately needed.

St Maarten –Rented car (Budget- Toyota Corolla) $52.00 and traveled to Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. Liquor run for Cognac at Ray’s Liquor who was out of Hennessey XO, used another liquor store.

St Thomas- Used $2.00 Safari bus to Sapphire Beach.

Princess Cays-Well Done--No need to rent Cabana ($26.00??). We had chairs under a tiki hut. For plenty of shade go left when reaching the island (not right where all the Cabana are rented)

On this cruise we stayed outside the cabin more than inside for the first time. Princess does the pool decks better than anyone and for that reason, will cruise with them again.

Prior to Cruise – Hyatt Pier 66 - $126.00 a day. Garden View-Greaaaaaaaaat!!

Spirit Airlines from National-Washington D.C.- First time and Never, Never again. You can only check one bag per person and must pay $10.00 for anything over-didn’t know before I was at the check-in counter. DH’s Cognac caused bag to be 10 lbs overweight and had to pay $25.00, although we had 4 bags that were underweight. Long lines and slow due to people having to pay for second bag fee. Personnel very discourteous. Return trip from Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare. Yes, I was the person reporting everyone that cutting in line!

The staff was doing everything possible to prevent this. Every dining venue you were served by staff....to the point that salt and pepper shakers were not on tables. Instead paper packets of salt and pepper were used. There were closely monitoring that everyone use the anti-bacterial gel upon entering a food line.

Ice was by request in staterooms.

Spirit Airlines from National-Washington D.C.- First time and Never, Never again. You can only check one bag per person and must pay $10.00 for anything over-didn’t know before I was at the check-in counter. DH’s Cognac caused bag to be 10 lbs overweight and had to pay $25.00, although we had 4 bags that were underweight. Long lines and slow due to people having to pay for second bag fee. Personnel very discourteous. Return trip from Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare. Yes, I was the person reporting everyone that cutting in line!

Great review. Thanks for posting it.

Also very interested in your take on Spirit Airlines. I have looked into them for our flight to FLL in June. Their prices are not any better than anyone elses and obviously they don't make up the difference in service....I guess I'll stick with Airtran or at this point USAir is pretty affordable also.

Since we were late booking, Spirit was the only airline offering a direct flight to FLL. Hubby doesn't like flying and prefers one takeoff and one landing. Since I pretty much travel 200 days a year..flights are no problem for me and regional carriers---why not Spirit. Funny, the flight attendants were good and humorous but ground service was extremely poor.

Since we were late booking, Spirit was the only airline offering a direct flight to FLL. Hubby doesn't like flying and prefers one takeoff and one landing. Since I pretty much travel 200 days a year..flights are no problem for me and regional carriers---why not Spirit. Funny, the flight attendants were good and humorous but ground service was extremely poor.

My hubby likes to fly direct also, whenever he can get it. I'm not picky at all....just look for the least expensive. Although your comments are not the first I've heard about Spirit.

We flew Midway Airlines to Orlando from WDC about 5 years ago. It was absolutely, hands down the best flight I have taken in a long time. Fantastic price, fantastic ground service, fantastic air service....the catch? We flew down for a week (Sat to Sat) and by Thursday, they had gone bankrupt! Fantastic service no longer....we had to come back on United (yuck).

Colo Cruiser - "Great review, not sure I understand the comment about Fusion? Were you referring to drink service?"

My comment on the Fusion Lounge was a hint on how to find the Palm Dining Room. Palm is located on deck 6 which does run the full length of the ship, y the ou must used deck 7. Go to Fusion lounge on deck seven and take nearby stairwell to the Palm.

i like spirit. guess it depends on your experience. i've flied w/ them a few times and never had any problems. Although really only twice have I ever had nightmare flights. American Airlines both times (which i've had plenty of non nightmares with too) so idk maybe i'm just easygoing.

thanks for the review - sounds like you had a great time =)

Archived