Travel Insurance that covers missed flight?

tbenson81

If your flight is after Noon and the ship docks late, you'll still have some flexibility. Check your cruise insurance to see if your flights are covered. If they aren't, add them. Balance the cost of adding them to your insurance against paying up to $100/pp plus any cost difference if you have to rebook your flight.

Missed Flights or missed connections usually has a limit of $500 coverage. Whether this $500 is in addition to the extra air fare is very ambiguous. Most airlines have a fee of about $100 to re-book but this low fee applies ONLY if you inform the airline before departure time that you will or may miss the flight because of .... reasons. A no-show results in loss of the entire ticket and no re-booking is allowed on the same ticket. /Sultan

I don't know of any flight insurance that would cover your situation either.

I also don't think Hurricane's answer was bad, either, because my first reaction was why a ater flight wasn't booked either.

If something happened and you had to interrupt your cruise to get back home in an emergency, most insurance would cover that, but not if you have a flight too early when the ship docks.

The ship could begin disembarkation late because of many problems, particular with Customs, so the cruise line has no control over that and insurance usually won't cover a problem like that if you can't make your flight.

OP, I just went through all the policies we sell - none of them covers your return flight for the reason you stated. I have only found coverage if weather is inclement or the airline causes delays, then you would have some coverage if you had to stay overnight, etc.

Try going to the website insuremytrip and take a look at the different insurance companies and policies. You can click on the fine print for each company and see what they will and won't cover.

A lot of assumptions and doubtful info is being presented by you and willysgrandma -- "I don't know of any flight insurance that would cover your situation either" .

If flight is covered, the trip ends when one returns to the "final" destination.

Yes -- I have gone through this situation and have studied the insurance terms carefully. /Sultan

Sultan, if you are aware of a company that does cover, then please post the info for the OP. That is what he is asking for.

NOW we know. You are an insurance salesperson! YOU give me the name of the insurance company that does NOT cover. OK? /Sultan

Sultan, if you are aware of a company that does cover, then please post the info for the OP. That is what he is asking for.

This entire thread is getting ridiculous. OP asked a question, got answers that no insurance two of us are aware of cover. We are travel agents and don't know of a company that would cover for the specific reason OP gives - I gave an answer.

If someone has a company that does cover, then why not be helpful and post it for the OP?

This entire thread is getting ridiculous. OP asked a question, got answers that no insurance two of us are aware of cover. We are travel agents and don't know of a company that would cover for the specific reason OP gives - I gave an answer.

If someone has a company that does cover, then why not be helpful and post it for the OP?

Because there are none, that's why.

In my experience (lots of cruises, but very few late arrivals) airlines from major port cities (Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, San Diego, etc.) are VERY cooperative about rebooking missed flights without penalty. This goes only for after-cruise return flights, obviously. In fact, they are cooperative about all sorts of cruise related problems. Perhaps others have had different experiences, but it seems that so far most respondents are basing their opinions only on the written rules. I am returning to San Diego next March and just booked an 11:30 am departure. My next choice would have been after 5 pm. If there is a delay, I am not overly concerned -- I am betting the airline will work with us, without penalty.

Bill

In my experience (lots of cruises, but very few late arrivals) airlines from major port cities (Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, San Diego, etc.) are VERY cooperative about rebooking missed flights without penalty. This goes only for after-cruise return flights, obviously. In fact, they are cooperative about all sorts of cruise related problems. Perhaps others have had different experiences, but it seems that so far most respondents are basing their opinions only on the written rules. I am returning to San Diego next March and just booked an 11:30 am departure. My next choice would have been after 5 pm. If there is a delay, I am not overly concerned -- I am betting the airline will work with us, without penalty.

Bill

I agree with you, but the OP wanted insurance to cover him for such losses as booking a later. I said he should book the later flight to begin with, and not expect compensation for booking an early flight.

I thought Princess insurance would cover, at least to some extent, for any reason. It may only be a cruise credit, but at least it's something.
It does, if you book Princess air. If you don't book Princess air, it's not covered in the Princess insurance.

Finally back on topic// I think the question has been answered.. if all this sniping and stuff continues I'm just gonna close this thread..

Honestly:rolleyes: :confused:

:::wondering if people are more civil "in person"::

Sorry Caroline, didn't mean to start a sniping. I was just trying to be honest.

Whether or not this would be covered would depend on the circumstances of the delay. For example, this is from Travelex:

"TRIP DELAY/MISSED CONNECTION

You are covered up to the Maximum Benefit Amount for:

Additional Transportation Cost to join the Covered Trip or return home, including up to $200 per day for reasonable accommodations and meals, if Your delay requires an unplanned overnight stay;"

"Delay must be five (5) hours or more and certified due to the following reasons:

delay of Common Carrier (which is certified by the Common Carrier); "

So, in this case the delay of the ship must be more than 5 hours and you'd have to provide someting in writing from the cruise line stating the circumstances.

If there's change fees on the air tickets you'd be covered up to the daily maximum -- $200. You could also claim meals, etc. If the delay caused you to have to get a hotel until the following day the same $200 per person, per day limit would apply.

One other thing to check on your policy is whether a cruise ship is considered a "common carrier." Here's the Travelex definition:

"Common Carrier" means any public land, air or water conveyance operating under a valid license providing for the transportation of passengers for hire. "

In this case it looks like you're OK.

Most plans are similar but the biggest difference is in the length of the delay needed to qualify for the benefit -- some require a delay up to 12 hours. Also, some plans will have restrictions on the reason for the common carrier's delay. For example, some cover mechanical delays, others won't.

The answer to the OP is your insurance will cover according to its terms if it is a covered reason for the delay and the delay meets any other definitons required under the policy. In other words read the policy to determine if late arrival is such a cause. SO most policies wouldn't cover if the delay is caused by immigation slow or late clearance of the ship. I am so glad I drive from the pier.

An aside, while I don't think most insurance companies would enforce the issue, a cruise line doesn't meet the ordinary definiton of common carrier which is the transportation of goods and people between two points--most cruises don't transport anyone between two points...just on a trip to where you started from.

The OP booked his flight at 11:00AM.

There is NO insurance that I have found that will cover his party because he is LATE to the airport to board the flight, unless there is an accident on the way to the airport. That SPECIFIC exception IS covered in most policies.

As fti stated, the OP posted this very question on the Alaska board. We all posted that it would be better to rebook the flight and pay the change fee NOW than wait until you get to the airport, find out you missed your flight, your ticket is no good and have to pay an astronomical price to get home. An 11:00AM flight out of YVR could be the start of a very stressful return flight.

Missed flights and missed connections covered by most travel insurance policies reflect AIRLINE caused delays, NOT because you were late to the airport (with the exceptions noted).

PS-Years ago I used to be a Prudential agent and am currently a non-practicing transportation attorney.

Cruise ship is a "common carrier." Interestingly, there is case law where courts have decided that "on a common carrier" also includes the time you are off the cruise ship, for example on an excursion, even a privately arranged excursion. This came up, for example, once when a life insurance policy covered only the insured "on a common carrier," and the insured died on a private excursion during a cruise. Go figure!

Bill

Archived