Calica????

Explorer

Calica is nothing but a docking spot. It's a working rock quarry, with a few vendors set up. You have to take a cab to go into Playa del Carmen, where the shops, beaches, and restaurants are. Cabs are $10 per cab, not per person. OR you could take a Mayan ruins excursion.

Calica is nothing but a docking spot. It's a working rock quarry, with a few vendors set up. You have to take a cab to go into Playa del Carmen, where the shops, beaches, and restaurants are. Cabs are $10 per cab, not per person. OR you could take a Mayan ruins excursion.

Did you do the ruins? Did you enjoy it?

We rented a car and drove to Akumal which was about a half hour away, but I probably wouldn't do it again because they rented us the junkiest car and I was a wreck the whole time that we wouldn't be able to get back. :) I would just take a cab to Playa del Carmen if I was docked there again. The other drivers were a little crazy and the highway wasn't like the highways here.

I'm going to Calica as well, in July. I've heard great things about the beaches and 5th street in Playa, we can't wait to go! If we like it, we'd seriously consider doing an AI there next year. There is a really good message board forum specifically for Playa Del Carmen (just do a search, Playa Del Carmen forums). I picked up alot of great info there regarding beaches, restaurants and bars.

I think that Cancun is about a 40 minute cab ride from Calica, if you have any interest in going to a larger town with a little more "action".

Yep, there are several good restaurants, and most of them are on Avenue 5. Wish I could remember the name of the one I liked so much both my times in PdC. Great margaritas for VERY little cost.:)

Yep, there are several good restaurants, and most of them are on Avenue 5. Wish I could remember the name of the one I liked so much both my times in PdC. Great margaritas for VERY little cost.:)

Hop over to the port of calls boards they have everything to do over there:)

last may we took a taxi into pdelc and then in the afternoon we went to a all inclusive beach break through the ship. we loved it, it was my favorite day. and we were back on board in plenty of time to see the 3 people who almost missed the boat. proabley made it by 2 min. they had taken a ferry to cozumel and it got held up coming back.

Calica is where the ship docks...but PLAYA DEL CARMEN is just the greatest.

I absolutely love it there. We stayed at the Royal there last November and I absolutely fell in love with Playa and 5th avenue. Shopping, eating, the music the whole vibe of the town is awesome. Can you tell I love it there ?LOL I am jealous, but hubby wants to try other places so we will be cruising on the Western Caribbean itinerary in August. Have fun!!

We stayed at the Royal there last November and I absolutely fell in love with Playa and 5th avenue. Shopping, eating, the music the whole vibe of the town is awesome.

Oh my gosh, we were seriously considering the royal for an AI next Feb!! Would love to hear more about it. I got that feeling that PdelC is a rockin fun place, thanks for confirming it. I can totally see ourselves there, so much more so than Cancun or Aruba or... anywhere! Our one day there in July will help us to check out the place, and may help my hubby be convinced to give the go ahead to book the AI. Whoohoo!

I just returned from a land-based Spring Break with my family. We stayed at an all-inclusive - Gran Porto Real - and we love Playa Del Carmen. The Fifth Avenue scene is pretty amazing! There is a great restaurant on Fifth Avenue - The Blue Parrot - fantastic lobster. There are many restaurants and bars there. The msot famous bar is Senor Frogs - a real happening fun place - wild! Lots of shopping and Fifth Avenue runs parallel to the beaches. All beaches in Mexico are federal land is are open to the public - even if you have to go through resort property to get there.

My wife and I leave tomorrow for an Imagination cruise. We are renting a Jeep and driving to Akumal to the beaches and the lagoon - we have already done Xcaret, Tulum, and Xel-Ha - all great places. We are just exploring on this trip. Anyone that has any experience with renting a jeep in this area. please let me know. Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...
We are going to Calica in July, can we rent Jet skis or do tours around there? I have two teenage sons.

At the ferry pier at 5th Ave, you can do para-sailing. I believe there is jetski rentals there also. If you want to try something different, I rented an airplane at http://www.aerosaab.com to take me over the beaches. Here is a photo of Calica which shows it is a rock quarry. I took the photo from the airplane.

holidayportsmall.jpg

will be doing this port in Oct. How far from the pier to town, what is the approx price of a taxi, any other tips for this port?

About 10 miles; $10 for the cab or $2.50pp for a group of four; bring a good pair of walking shoes as 5th Ave covers many blocks; there is a Wal-mart nearby; the city caters mostly to European tourists; some on the beach may sunbath topless; the taxi drivers drive like they are possessed.

Dave

Hi Dave

thanks for the reply

LOL on the taxi drivers...I remember that from the Bahamas..just close my eyes and hold on

No desire to do walmart as I can do that here

dh & dd x2 boyriends will like the topless beach and my mom will be stunned (this is her 1st cruise)

do they barter at the shops or are the prices fixed?

Is there a Carlos & Charlies? my dd x2 are asking

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...
For those who have been there, what is there to do? BTW, I'm not interested in ruins. Any beach action or bars?

Just got back from Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya, all inclusive staying at The Reef Playacar. I said it in so many post but I loved LOVED Senor Frogs! That place is soooooo fun and it is right on the beach so you can sit at your table and watch the ocean and see Cozumel (I think) Carlos N Charlies was fun also but I prefer Senors! I am going in Oct 4 on the Imagination and I can not wait to go there again. I am hoping for our same waiter....Luigi :D

Calica/PdC is my favorite port, period. I booked a 4-day Fascination trip in October simply because it stopped here.

Forget the port, which is a rock quarry. Rent a car (http://www.executive.com.mx) or hire a cab and go, well, any direction...North is Playa del Carmen, south is Tulum, Akumal, Paamul, Puerto Aventuras, et al.

Simply put, it's a great stop.

The beaches at Playa are a bit rocky in spots the further down the beach you go towards Tulum the less rocky. But I adore Playa. The Tequila Barrel bar is a great spot with a great live band that covers every hit song in the US. The entire Fifth avenue reminded us of a cross between Greenwich Village and Key West. I never tired of walking it and we did it every single night. We didn't eat there but we priced food and it was comparible to NYC for dinners. One restaurant is more beautiful than the other and the whole town at night is lit up .

As far as the Royal goes it was a first class hotel . Beautiful in everyway and I didn't want to leave. I am in withdrawal going on a cruise instead of a land vacation. We are doing the Valor in August West Carr. instead of a land vaca. At least I get to go to Costa Maya..lol....Next vaca whether land or sea I am returning to Playa:)) Have fun

• 1 month later...

do they rent umbrellas and chairs? anyone know the cost? Is there a place to eat? How far is it to the shopping area from the beach or from the ship? Last, ...how was the scene there as far as nudity? just curious as we will have children with us. ..Thanks for any answers !

Archived