Comparing AD vs AE on the Dawn

NJLVW

I am considering the Dawn. Does anyone know what the differences are between the AD & AE ? I know the AD is a Romance suite & AE is a penthouse. Are the rooms the same? How about the ammenities? There seems to be a big difference in price & I am trying to see the difference. If there are pics out there that is even better. Thanx for all your help...

I am considering the Dawn. Does anyone know what the differences are between the AD & AE ? I know the AD is a Romance suite & AE is a penthouse. Are the rooms the same? How about the ammenities? There seems to be a big difference in price & I am trying to see the difference. If there are pics out there that is even better. Thanx for all your help...

The primary difference is location and balcony size. The balconies on deck ten (AD) are much deeper.

Have stayed in both - AE 8170 last year and AD 10728 last month. Cabins, amenities and furnishings identical; balcony size deeper in the AD and felt much bigger. With both cabins you get two padded teak loungers. On the AE balcony we had one small side table and the loungers are placed toe to toe. The AD had a second small side table and the loungers could be placed facing outward - more room to walk around.There was enough room to have both loungers placed to one side; you could then bring your dining table and chairs out to the other side for breakfast if you wanted. Depending on the price I would be happy with either one - loved them both. Quiet locations and great views of the wake with the AE closer to the water since it is on a lower floor. (Sorry - I don't bring a camera with me anymore, so no pictures)

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for the pictures and comparisons. I have been a few times aft of the Sun AC penthouse. Perfect with the 2 rooms large balcony. I know the Dawn is different. Now I need to find a pic of AD to compare to the AE. The price difference right now is 300pp to go AD. Is it worth it? I do spend time in my room & balcony..Thanx again.

I have a picture of an AD on the Star, a sister ship of the Dawn. But I can never post it on here because it's too big! :) But if you post your email address, I can email it to you today.

Or...if someone can help me with resizing the picture so it's postable. :)

I have a picture of an AD on the Star, a sister ship of the Dawn. But I can never post it on here because it's too big! :) But if you post your email address, I can email it to you today.

Or...if someone can help me with resizing the picture so it's postable. :)

If you send it to yourself in an email and choose optimized instead of full, it will make it less MB's and you should be able to post it then. :confused: :rolleyes:

If you send it to yourself in an email and choose optimized instead of full, it will make it less MB's and you should be able to post it then. :confused: :rolleyes:

Tried my gmail, but can't find this option. :) I'll keep looking though! :D

Okay, hopefully this works. The image was originally 115kb, now it's 17 kb or so. I think that'll fit. This is a picture of the Star's AD romance suite (cabin 10226), which we stayed in in December 2003. Beautiful! :)

tmpphpGSjLxj.jpg.a4ac9ab8bbd5596576ad737fa5779e1c.jpg

Okay, hopefully this works. The image was originally 115kb, now it's 17 kb or so. I think that'll fit. This is a picture of the Star's AD romance suite (cabin 10226), which we stayed in in December 2003. Beautiful! :)

And that looks very similar to the AE we had on the Star last year, except on the Star the balcony wraps around the side of the ship. Take a look at our Yahoo pictures from last year in the AE album.

And that looks very similar to the AE we had on the Star last year, except on the Star the balcony wraps around the side of the ship. Take a look at our Yahoo pictures from last year in the AE album.

I did see your pictures. They were great! :) I especially loved the ones of you guys out on the balcony and seeing the little pieces of ice floating and all. That was Glacier Bay I believe. Makes me sooo excited for June!

The only difference in the Romance Suite on deck 10 and the aft penthouse on the Dawn is the size of the balcony......if size matters then pay the extra $$, otherwise go with the cheaper suite.

One thing I forgot to mention is that on the Star (and I am assuming Dawn and Star are similar in this sense, as they're sister ships), is that the Romance Suite (deck 10) has a more open balcony overhead. Deck 9 and 8 were fully covered (or at least mostly), at least from my memory of a few years back. :)

I liked the fact that we had more sunlight on our balcony coming from up above...it felt like we had a more "open" view as well. Just something to add. Some people like being higher up on the decks too (though it doesn't matter to me), and so that might be an additional difference between the AD and AE.

Just some more thoughts! :)

I guess that pretty much answers my questions. Yes I prefer the higher decks and I want a large balcony that is open... I guess the Romance Suite will be the way to go. Thank you everyone for your pictures & comments. These boards are always so helpful. The Dawn sounds like a wonderful ship. I now need to decide whether we book for Jan or Mar 08. This is the only ship doing 7 day out of Miami in 2008. The Eastern Caribean that is..I would go for the Southern but that is 9 days. Can't get all that time off. Thanx again...

I have a question about the AEs (Jewel). Do the curtains come all the way around the bed for privacy ... How do all those curtains run ... Can you take a curtain and divide the room. We'll have an infant sleeping in a crib near the couch ... can that part of the room be totally closed off from the bed/bath side of the room?

~d

Archived