Child swim time at the solarium for chilly cruises?

Cheryl H

For RCCL, I read that on Alaskan cruises, they allow kids in the solarium pool a couple hours per day.

Does anyone know if this is the case for the New England cruises as well? We will be sailing in late October. The average high is supposed to be 50's.

Thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...

I would hope that this would not be allowed. There are people who want some place where kids are not allowed. Too many parents feel that the ship is a baby sitter and their kids run around completele unruly and un supervised. To me this is unaccepatable and I habe been on cruises where the kids have ruined my vacation.

There are NO children allowed in the Solarium at any time and this is why there IS such a room. There are MANY of us out there that don't want a "child" time at a pool. It is nice to have ONE place to go where children aren't allowed at any time. Sorry... just my opinion.

When the outside temps/weather are cool enough and outdoor swimming is not feasible, RCI will set aside specific times for families (i.e. including kids) to use the Solarium. This is standard practice for Alaska itineraries. For our late July Canada/NE cruise on Grandeur, there were no family times for the Solarium as the weather was hot/warm enough to use the outside pools. My guess is that for September and October Canada/NE itineraries, if the weather gets cool, they will likely set aside Solarium-time for kids two. Usually this is a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the late afternoon.

In summary, the Solariums are adults-only only for warm-weather cruises. On cooler weather cruises, RCI will open the Solarium up occasionally for all passengers. It's a common misconception to think that the Solarium is always adults-only.

I asked a simple question, and got an answer, clear back in April I might add.

I did not ask for opinions or anyone's experiences with children on cruises.

We are going on a New England cruise in late October and I am pleased to know that there may be a brief family time at the indoor pool in the happenstance that the weather is inclement. Thank you Terpnet for clearing up any confusion on the issue.

I asked a simple question, and got an answer, clear back in April I might add.

I did not ask for opinions or anyone's experiences with children on cruises.

We are going on a New England cruise in late October and I am pleased to know that there may be a brief family time at the indoor pool in the happenstance that the weather is inclement. Thank you Terpnet for clearing up any confusion on the issue.

No problem. As the Solarium is usually an adults-only sanctuary, I know that the mere mention of the family hours on certain itineraries often raises howls of protests from Solarium-lovers. Have a nice cruise! :)

• 1 month later...
I would hope that this would not be allowed. There are people who want some place where kids are not allowed. Too many parents feel that the ship is a baby sitter and their kids run around completele unruly and un supervised. To me this is unaccepatable and I habe been on cruises where the kids have ruined my vacation.

should have known when I first started to read this that you are a celebrity cruiser. this is what I ran into when I went on a celebrity cruise a few years ago and I will never cruise with them again. worst bunch of unfriendly passagners I ever cruised with. last time I checked I paid the same as you and I enjoyed the butler & balcony. I didn't even bring my children. I left them at home, but I do enjoy being active myself and staying up after Matlock , lawrence welk and the napkin folding demonstration has ended. No I am not the carnival type either. But If you are going on a cruise when it is cold outside and there is children on board find it in your heart dear grandma to let the children get their energy out at the pool. I am sure if the outside pool was adults only and that was closed due to the weather you would want them to make an exception for you. right? Maybe if you did this The children will be able to sit through a 2 hour long dinner well behaved. maybe you should sit in a hot tub to let some of the warm water cool those icey veins of yours. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived