Sydney Airport Question - Getting Out

We will be flying back home from Sydney by way of Auckland (only way to get the 34" Air New Zealand seats) and have really two choices. Either leave Sydney at 11:30 AM or 3:40 PM. Now, my question is how much time to allow at the airport in Sydney? If we need to allow for over two hours, it means getting up pretty early, on our last day, to make the 11:30 connection. If we leave at 3:40 we have a leisurely morning. So, how time consuming are the security measures in Sydney?

We were just in Sydney in Dec. We allowed 2 1/2 hrs (we had to return a car), but that was more than enough to get checked in and go thru security. Be sure to allow additional time when going to the gate, as you'll have a search of your carryon and a pat-down at that point, and it can get a bit backed up there.

Either leave Sydney at 11:30 AM or 3:40 PM. Now, my question is how much time to allow at the airport in Sydney? If we need to allow for over two hours, it means getting up pretty early, on our last day, to make the 11:30 connection. If we leave at 3:40 we have a leisurely morning. So, how time consuming are the security measures in Sydney?
If your flight is Sydney-Auckland, arriving at the airport two hours before the flight should give you plenty of time. If you're staying in the centre of Sydney, the trip by taxi to the airport should take no more than half an hour. So you would want to be on the road by about 0900 for an 1130 flight if you want that sort of time cushion.

It is possible to live more dangerously. I would normally reckon on arriving at about -75 minutes for a flight to Wellington.

I'm not sure where rjscott was flying to, but I don't recall a secondary gate search for flights to New Zealand, only to certain other destinations. So hopefully that won't be an irritation for you. You may well, however, have a secondary gate search at Auckland before you board the flight to LAX.

My daughter left Sydney Airport just a couple of weeks ago for Florida. We are all told to allow 3 hours before a flight to the USA due to extra security measures. If you are only going to NZ 2 hours should be OK. Enjoy your flight.

To be honest I leave 3 hours, esp since Sydney now complies with the new liquids policy - I strongly suggest you find out about that, and take a few plastic bags if needed. To be honest Sydney is a dream compared to some US airports and EU airports, but three hours is the suggested time for most places "these days" to ensure you are not rushed and can make it to the gate on time!

Saying this, you could do it in 2 hours.:)

I would also allow at least two and a half hours to three hours. We flew to Auckland from Melbourne a few weeks ago and we were in the check in queue for literally hours as the conveyer belt had broken down. I would allow plenty of time in case there is a delay of some sort. Better to be out at the airport with time to spare than be rushing and wondering if you will be able to catch the plane especially with all the new rules regarding plastic bags and fluids.

Jennie

Archived