Boston to Cape Liberty

Cindi314,

RCI is offering round trip bus service from Boston (South Station) to Cape Liberty. Last figure I got was $120 pp round trip, but that may change (it may even be less). Contact your TA or RCI if you booked directly, and have them add it to your cruise invoice. Bus leaves SS at 8 a.m. and returns to SS at 4 p.m. on the return.

Hmmm.....they did have bus service last September when my husband and I took it. But personally, I would not recommend it unless they changed the charter company. Our experience was horrible to say the least. The bus driver was fine......but the air quality on the bus, and vibrations from the bus made me and others sick for 4 out of 6 hours it took for the ride. Also, the worst was having no running water or paper towels in the restroom. Nothing like having the opportunity to spread germs before the cruise even started. Luckily, a few of us had hand sanitizing wipes in our bags. The DVD player was not working or the radio. Another passanger got the DVD player to work somewhat, but since I was feeling sick to the stomach from bad air circulation, I couldnt watch the screen.

I know that when we took the shuttle it was $145.00 per person round trip. It could be a different amount now. Sometimes I have seen different travel companies offering reduced shuttle services. I know I would not take the shuttle again since the return trip was not any better even though it was a different bus that still had no rest room supplies.....how gross!!

Yes, I did report this and some other issues to Guest Relations when we arrived on ship....but no one seemed to really care. I even sent a letter after the cruise. I received an apology and "we will look into your complaints"....but it was totally generic.

Its obviously up to you......so good luck in your decisoin. Originally we were going to take Grey Hound......but they only went to Penn Station. We were going to have to take a few other lines and then a taxi to get to Cape Liberty. Though it would have been cheaper, we were concerned with having to lug around all the luggage and also worring about the weather. As it turned out.....it was rainy. So its a toss up.

Good luck

Hi there neighbor!

What bus company was it? When we did it on Voyager it was Academy bus lines, but now RCI, CEL, Princess and NCL are using Entertainment Tours buses, and I've heard they're pretty good.

Think about joining a bunch of us on the Jewel repo next year from Boston. There's a large group going from the Rockland area....we've cruised together many times and always have a great time.

Rita

When is the repo cruise and where does it go? How many are going? We are always trying to find people to go...but people always back out.

What end of town are you/ I am on the Abington side. Probably know ya...lol. Lived in Rockland most of my life.

Hmmm.....they did have bus service last September when my husband and I took it. But personally, I would not recommend it unless they changed the charter company. Our experience was horrible to say the least. The bus driver was fine......but the air quality on the bus, and vibrations from the bus made me and others sick for 4 out of 6 hours it took for the ride. Also, the worst was having no running water or paper towels in the restroom. Nothing like having the opportunity to spread germs before the cruise even started. Luckily, a few of us had hand sanitizing wipes in our bags. The DVD player was not working or the radio. Another passanger got the DVD player to work somewhat, but since I was feeling sick to the stomach from bad air circulation, I couldnt watch the screen.

I know that when we took the shuttle it was $145.00 per person round trip. It could be a different amount now. Sometimes I have seen different travel companies offering reduced shuttle services. I know I would not take the shuttle again since the return trip was not any better even though it was a different bus that still had no rest room supplies.....how gross!!

Yes, I did report this and some other issues to Guest Relations when we arrived on ship....but no one seemed to really care. I even sent a letter after the cruise. I received an apology and "we will look into your complaints"....but it was totally generic.

Its obviously up to you......so good luck in your decisoin. Originally we were going to take Grey Hound......but they only went to Penn Station. We were going to have to take a few other lines and then a taxi to get to Cape Liberty. Though it would have been cheaper, we were concerned with having to lug around all the luggage and also worring about the weather. As it turned out.....it was rainy. So its a toss up.

Good luck

I hope that wasn't a charter with Fung Wah. Do you remember the name of the charter company? I live just north of Boston and might consider this service if it was a reputable charter service.

Oops lost my post....hope it doesnt double post.

Yes, we had Academy Busline...it was horrible.

Where is the repo cruise going..and how many are planning on sailing?

We have tried to get others to cruise with us.....but people tend to back out. No one wants to commit.

What side of town are you on? I live on the Abington side. Lived in Rockland most of my life. Do not think i know any one named Rita though. My name is Debbie.

When is the repo cruise and where does it go? How many are going? We are always trying to find people to go...but people always back out.

What end of town are you/ I am on the Abington side. Probably know ya...lol. Lived in Rockland most of my life.

Billsgal and I live in Willow Pond about a mile from the Abington line. Lived in Rockland (Wyman Fields) in the late sixties and early seventies, then moved to Hanover for 25 years. In 1998 we sold our house in Hanover and moved to this condo development in Rockland. Our son and his family live in Rockland and our daughter and her family live in Hanover. :)

The Jewel repo leaves Boston on October 28, 2008 and goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Aruba before ending up in Miami. It is a 10 day cruise and should be a lot of fun. Love the Jewel and love sailing out of Boston.

Billsgal and I live in Willow Pond about a mile from the Abington line. Lived in Rockland (Wyman Fields) in the late sixties and early seventies, then moved to Hanover for 25 years. In 1998 we sold our house in Hanover and moved to this condo development in Rockland. Our son and his family live in Rockland and our daughter and her family live in Hanover. :)

The Jewel repo leaves Boston on October 28, 2008 and goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Aruba before ending up in Miami. It is a 10 day cruise and should be a lot of fun. Love the Jewel and love sailing out of Boston.

You switched names....lol. Sounds like an interesting cruise. Been to all those islands before. St Martin and St Thomas are the islands we like most. Really saw nothing special about Aruba. San Juan was extremely hot the day we were there....would probably see more of it if it had been cooler.

Have people already started to book the cruise? I do not see it listed on your signature line. Not sure if we would be able to do a late fall cruise next year as the following spring we are hoping to do a cruise for our 25 Anniversary. But who knows.

Thanks for the info and I will mention to the hubby,

Debbie

You switched names....lol. Sounds like an interesting cruise. Been to all those islands before. St Martin and St Thomas are the islands we like most. Really saw nothing special about Aruba. San Juan was extremely hot the day we were there....would probably see more of it if it had been cooler.

Have people already started to book the cruise? I do not see it listed on your signature line. Not sure if we would be able to do a late fall cruise next year as the following spring we are hoping to do a cruise for our 25 Anniversary. But who knows.

Thanks for the info and I will mention to the hubby,

Debbie

The books on this cruise only opened about a week ago, but a lot of people have already booked and prices have already risen about $200 since the books opened. We will be in San Juan during the evening (5pm to midnight) so heat shouldn't be a problem. In Aruba we have had a great time doing the Kukoo Kunuku pub crawl excursion. We have been in St. Thomas and St. Maarten so many times that we have to look hard to find new things to do or places to see. :)

Some local agencies have blocked group space so the early prices are still available in many cases. There are at least three or four Rockland couples who have booked the cruise, most of whom will also be with us next February on the Legend of the Seas out of Santo Domingo. I haven't added it to my signature line because we already have three future trips listed and I don't want the signature line to take up more space than the message itself. :D

Talk to your husband. The prices are pretty good and may not do much damage to the budget for your 25th anniversary celebration.

I hope that wasn't a charter with Fung Wah. Do you remember the name of the charter company? I live just north of Boston and might consider this service if it was a reputable charter service.

But the Fung Wah bus adds so much excitement to your trip!! :D Do you listen to Loren & Wally in the morning? They have a hilarious song about it!

But the Fung Wah bus adds so much excitement to your trip!! :D Do you listen to Loren & Wally in the morning? They have a hilarious song about it!

I read in the globe a story about a woman who has a standing offer to her kids. If they are going to take Fung Wah, she will pay the difference it the cost of a ticket to put them on a Greyhound instead. Oh and I am a Matty in the morning kinda gal so have never heard that song.:)

The books on this cruise only opened about a week ago, but a lot of people have already booked and prices have already risen about $200 since the books opened. We will be in San Juan during the evening (5pm to midnight) so heat shouldn't be a problem. In Aruba we have had a great time doing the Kukoo Kunuku pub crawl excursion. We have been in St. Thomas and St. Maarten so many times that we have to look hard to find new things to do or places to see. :)

Some local agencies have blocked group space so the early prices are still available in many cases. There are at least three or four Rockland couples who have booked the cruise, most of whom will also be with us next February on the Legend of the Seas out of Santo Domingo. I haven't added it to my signature line because we already have three future trips listed and I don't want the signature line to take up more space than the message itself. :D

Talk to your husband. The prices are pretty good and may not do much damage to the budget for your 25th anniversary celebration.

Just for referenece...what is the average age of the people who have booked so far? We are in our late 40's. Not that age matters...it is the age of how one acts. One of our best cruises was in Hawaii. The majority of the travelors were much older than us. But they were a hoot....tons of energy and ready to have fun.

The cruising group that you mentioned, is it an actual cruise group? Are there discounts available for being part of the group? I know there are some formed traveling groups out there who benefit from having many members....just curious.

Something to think about. Hubby doesnt get to pick vacation time till the end of the year for next year. He doesnt usually take more than one week at a time. He spreads them out. Maybe I can convince him other wise :)

Have a nice day.....and thanks for the info!!!

Debbie,

had to laugh when I saw that DH has answered you. We are frequently on the computer and laptop at the same time, so it's not the first time that's happened.

Group is just a group of friends who cruised together for a while, and have added many more to the group. We were members of the "Royal Jewels" who cruised the Jewel in 2005, then part of the "Rowdies" who cruised in 2006 on Jewel. Check out the roll call for the Jewel repo 2008, and you'll see lots of folks from around this area.....range in age from 30's to 60's (and some may be older, but I've never asked).

We've probably passed one another at Stop & Shop once in a while. When we were in Europe a few years ago waiting to board the Eurostar for a trip to Paris, directly in front of us in line was a gentleman from Abington. We laughed at just how small the world really is.

I've just found out that Entertainment Tours will NOT be doing the bus from Boston, they'll be using Academy once again. We've used Academy, and we didn't have the same experience as you, but there were only 10 of us on the bus when it left Boston, and we only picked up 2 more in Connecticut. The driver also stopped twice for food and potty stops, even though there was a bathroom on the bus (didn't use it, so I can't tell you what condition it was in), but I'm going to pay close attention to what people say about the bus this year.......the price has been confirmed at $115 round trip.

Rita

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Still have a way to go til the cruise, so I'll keep my eyes and ears open until then. We did the Jewel repo last october and it was a blast!!! Hope you all have fun.

Debbie,

had to laugh when I saw that DH has answered you. We are frequently on the computer and laptop at the same time, so it's not the first time that's happened.

Group is just a group of friends who cruised together for a while, and have added many more to the group. We were members of the "Royal Jewels" who cruised the Jewel in 2005, then part of the "Rowdies" who cruised in 2006 on Jewel. Check out the roll call for the Jewel repo 2008, and you'll see lots of folks from around this area.....range in age from 30's to 60's (and some may be older, but I've never asked).

We've probably passed one another at Stop & Shop once in a while. When we were in Europe a few years ago waiting to board the Eurostar for a trip to Paris, directly in front of us in line was a gentleman from Abington. We laughed at just how small the world really is.

I've just found out that Entertainment Tours will NOT be doing the bus from Boston, they'll be using Academy once again. We've used Academy, and we didn't have the same experience as you, but there were only 10 of us on the bus when it left Boston, and we only picked up 2 more in Connecticut. The driver also stopped twice for food and potty stops, even though there was a bathroom on the bus (didn't use it, so I can't tell you what condition it was in), but I'm going to pay close attention to what people say about the bus this year.......the price has been confirmed at $115 round trip.

Rita

Thanks Rita for the added info. Yes, our driver on Academy stopped to pick up passenger once and also stopped in Conn for a rest room break. We had about the same amount on our bus on the way down, and 2 less on the way back, It is too bad that it is Academy again, as I would maybe cruise out of NJ again if it were a different cruise company. At least the price is lower than what we paid.

Also, just curious....do you ever go to D'Anns? We do..and maybe we have seen you there. Where you live is not too far from there or from us.

Debbie

I was reading this post about the bus as we may cruise out of N.J. next year.

We have done a bus with celebrity in the past several years ago and it was fine,

The funny part is my husband grew up in Rockland on West Water Street and now works in Rockland on Pleasant Street. We live on the Cape in Sandwich, it is a small world and gets smaller everyday. Wish we could join you on that cruise but we are all booked up.

Thanks for the bus info.

Debbie, we're in D'Ann's about 3-4 times a month. Love the pizza,a nd Dh loves the broiled scrod. Small world!

Rita

Small world indeed. Do you sit at the bar? We do..or at the high tops. Just asked hubby if he knew anyone named Rita and Bill.....he doesnt think so. I bet we have seen you. We had been going there quite a bit...but we have been being good lately and only go once a week. We go either Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday.

Another question if you do not mind.....is there a repo cruise out of Boston this fall? I looked, but it only comes up for 2008.

Debbie

Good luck

I had a similar problem with Academy. We took the bus from Boston to NJ for the Voyager cruise in 2005 (I don't fly, we had driven a few times there but thought the bus might be another way to go). The vibration was terrible!! I felt so sick the entire time! The bus we had was dirty. And as amazing as it sounds, Veggie is correct...the bathroom had no sink, so no way anyone could wash their hands. Luckily we carry wipes everywhere...but not so sure what anyone else used.

On the return trip, we got off the ship and boarded the bus to find out the driver had just noticed a flat. It took an an hour and a half to get another bus to us.

Now that said, IF you prepare for the trip knowing this, it still is an alternative to get to the pier. Not sure if the buses are newer now, or even if they use a different line.

I was reading this post about the bus as we may cruise out of N.J. next year.

We have done a bus with celebrity in the past several years ago and it was fine,

The funny part is my husband grew up in Rockland on West Water Street and now works in Rockland on Pleasant Street. We live on the Cape in Sandwich, it is a small world and gets smaller everyday. Wish we could join you on that cruise but we are all booked up.

Thanks for the bus info.

Small world indeed. I live off of West Water now. Growing up I lived on Liberty...up the street from Pleasant.

I had a similar problem with Academy. We took the bus from Boston to NJ for the Voyager cruise in 2005 (I don't fly, we had driven a few times there but thought the bus might be another way to go). The vibration was terrible!! I felt so sick the entire time! The bus we had was dirty. And as amazing as it sounds, Veggie is correct...the bathroom had no sink, so no way anyone could wash their hands. Luckily we carry wipes everywhere...but not so sure what anyone else used.

On the return trip, we got off the ship and boarded the bus to find out the driver had just noticed a flat. It took an an hour and a half to get another bus to us.

Now that said, IF you prepare for the trip knowing this, it still is an alternative to get to the pier. Not sure if the buses are newer now, or even if they use a different line.

Our first bus actually had a sink...but the water did not work...so you may as well say it had no sink....lol. The bus for the return trip...I do not know....I would not go into it. Others said it did not have water or paper towels. Luckily the return bus did not vibrate as bad as the first bus.

Our first bus actually had a sink...but the water did not work...so you may as well say it had no sink....lol. The bus for the return trip...I do not know....I would not go into it. Others said it did not have water or paper towels. Luckily the return bus did not vibrate as bad as the first bus.

I was really shocked to see a bathroom on a bus with no sink, soap, or papertowels. It really grossed me out...lol. The driver though was very nice. On the return trip I asked him to stop so we could eat and he said he always makes a McDonalds stop if asked so thats what we did...and I used the bathroom there!!

Small world indeed. Do you sit at the bar? We do..or at the high tops. Just asked hubby if he knew anyone named Rita and Bill.....he doesnt think so. I bet we have seen you. We had been going there quite a bit...but we have been being good lately and only go once a week. We go either Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday.

Another question if you do not mind.....is there a repo cruise out of Boston this fall? I looked, but it only comes up for 2008.

Debbie

No Jewel repo cruise out of Boston this year. She is staying in Europe later into the Fall and will take a southern route TA that ends up in Fort Lauderdale. We were originally booked on the Jewel TA that was to end up in Boston, but RCI cancelled it when they decided to put the ship into drydock while it is in Europe, and install a diesel engine to be used when they are in port and will use less expensive fuel. RCI and Celebrity are both installing these diesel engines and have estimated that they will save approximately $5 million a year per ship by this action. Of course it is costing them approximately $15 million per vessel for the installation but they should get that back in three years of operation. In place of the Jewel TA, we booked the Constellation which is doing pretty much the same itinerary that the Jewel was going to do.

We usually sit in the main dining room in D'Anns and frequently comment how infrequently we run into anyone there that we know.

Archived