Cheaper Spanx substitute mini review

Nitra

Okay I was just at Target and picked up 2 of the line called Assets. These are like Spanx, supposedly, but a lot cheaper. The highwaisted shaper is 15 dollars and the pant/capri shaper is 10 dollars. I got one of each, and they go all the way up to fit 265 lbs for those wonder if they fit extra fluffy. I came home, and tried them both on. Seems to be pretty good. I will do a more complete review after I wear them on my cruise in 2 weeks. They do not have the Spanx crotch. I think they feel more like nylons and seem lighter and more comfortable than Spanx, mainly because they seem to be cooler wearing.

So if you want to check them out

http://www.loveassets.com/

thanks to those that mentioned them on here, because I never look at that stuff in the stores since I cant find bras in stores I usually just order it all online.

I have one piece of Spanx, the high waisted one, and bought the same in the asset line today, so that will be a nice comparison.

Im ready to go so I can test these things! I could just put em on and wear em around the house working but that is no fun and then I would have to wash them again!

I'll jump in with my own review here. I have been wearing the Assets thigh length ones under pants for a few months. They are quite comfortable, especially if you admit to your size and buy the right one! However, I have very large athletic thighs, and the bottom of the leg can show, depending on the slacks I am wearing. It's not horrible, but I notice it when I am walking and see myself in the mirror.

I also have the capri length and they are fabulous. I wear them under a light weight white pair of capris. They lose the jiggle and really smooth me out.

I've washed both pairs several times (cold water, drip dry).

Just this past weeked I bought a pair of flexies that are mid thigh length and they seem to be excellent, and don't have the cut-off line in the middle of the leg. I bought these at Steinmart - for about $17.99.

Hey - I'll pay for ANYTHING that helps!

The assets I got that are high waisted and thigh length, the thigh is smooth, no band, so it does not cut into, wonder if they will show?

I bought a size smaller than it suggested and they fit me great, if I got the size it said I needed.. Not saying everyone should do that. I would get one in the right size to be safe if you do not know how things tend to fit...

I LOVE STEINMART! I buy a lot of stuff there. Most of my clothes come from there actually. Love the sales!

I have the Flexies [sp] and since I'm pretty straight, the size which should have fit was too tight in the ribs. So I'm going to up it a size and see if that helps. I don't care about the bottom shapers, I'm interested in the "what is that stuff on my back under my bra?" shapers. The Flexie I have like a camisole---does slide/roll back up unless it's secured in the waistband of my pants, or shirt. Such work. But I hate that backfat! I blame walking with my crutches, maybe so maybe not...........LOL

I bought the Ronda Sheer high waisted half slip from HSN last year for around $20, including shipping for formal night. I checked Target beforehand but they had no slips.

The slip was okay but still felt pretty much like a girdle of 20 years ago to me-but then I have read where spanx isn't so hott either!

I tend to carry fluids on cruises from drinking the coffee and tea made with salt water. Last cruise I brought my own bottled water but it still happened to me-I guess if I could give up every drink made from the recycled sea water maybe this would not happen. I am always at least a size bigger by the end of the cruise and not from overeating-because I don't do that. About a week after returning home I am back to normal size.

Which is why I wanted the slip as I tend to get quite a tummy from retaining fluids-I wore it but I was still miserable on formal night! but at least I looked better! too bad there is no spanx or whatever for a balloon face and the too tight rings on my fingers!

I bought my first strapless bra and spanx on the weekend to go to a very formal, black tie event next weekend. I don't know whether I'm more nervous about wearing it all for a full night, or asking my husband to zip me up with all this sh#t on!!! :D

My DH looks at me like I'm crazy and thinks I'm just perfect. So I should just forget this stuff and enjoy myself. I wore the Flexies camisole to a barbecue right after my DD's wedding when my weight was a good 6 lbs less than right now, and mid way thru the afternoon, I went home to take it off!!! Then I went back and had a beer. Point is----we women are much more vane than the men, and we dress to impress each other, not our men. IMHO.

Signed shallow and vane, Nancy

I tend to carry fluids on cruises from drinking the coffee and tea made with salt water. Last cruise I brought my own bottled water but it still happened to me-I guess if I could give up every drink made from the recycled sea water maybe this would not happen. I am always at least a size bigger by the end of the cruise and not from overeating-because I don't do that. About a week after returning home I am back to normal size.

Which is why I wanted the slip as I tend to get quite a tummy from retaining fluids-I wore it but I was still miserable on formal night! but at least I looked better! too bad there is no spanx or whatever for a balloon face and the too tight rings on my fingers!

It is the food too, I have the same problem. Remember they cook in that water too, the ice is made with that water etc. I blow up like a freaking balloon.

Point is----we women are much more vane than the men, and we dress to impress each other, not our men. IMHO.

It is funny, I dont really care what others think about how I look. I dress for me and no man or woman. You are right that women are much more critical of other women than any man is. I have heard some really catty remarks made about other women. I wear support garments because I feel better in them than not. I dont fool myself into believing they are making me perfect or whatever. I dont care that my arms are flabby, or that I have back fat, or that I have cellulite, my body is what it is, I am okay with it. So what! I am not a size 0 or even a size 10, I do not have little perky boobs, or a perky butt, I have fluff! I am a perfect me and personally dont care what others think.

It is funny, I dont really care what others think about how I look. I dress for me and no man or woman. You are right that women are much more critical of other women than any man is. I have heard some really catty remarks made about other women. I wear support garments because I feel better in them than not. I dont fool myself into believing they are making me perfect or whatever. I dont care that my arms are flabby, or that I have back fat, or that I have cellulite, my body is what it is, I am okay with it. So what! I am not a size 0 or even a size 10, I do not have little perky boobs, or a perky butt, I have fluff! I am a perfect me and personally dont care what others think.

WOW, what a perfect set of comments - I love it! Thanks for putting into words what many of us probably think but were unable to express as well as you just did.

Deb (also fluffy and fine with it)

It took me a long time to learn this. One of the reasons I love Tyra Banks so much is because she preaches, No matter what size or shape you are, love yourself as you are! Also SO WHAT if you weigh 300 lbs or 100 lbs, SO WHAT if you wear a size 2 or a size 22. I am so glad to see more of this attitude.

I get so sick of hearing women beating themselves up and talking about how fat they are when they wear a freaking 12 or even 8. Even men do not like to hear women saying this stuff, no matter what size you are. It is all about confidence and loving yourself. I have been a size 6 and a size 26, and every size in between and NEVER have had trouble getting dates or have men offer to help me or open doors for me or whatever. I love myself as I am. Sure I could be smaller, but I am not killing myself to do it.

Find your inner peace and happiness, dress for youself, not for anyone else, make yourself happy, live for you, and the rest falls into place where it should.

It took me a long time to learn this. One of the reasons I love Tyra Banks so much is because she preaches, No matter what size or shape you are, love yourself as you are! Also SO WHAT if you weigh 300 lbs or 100 lbs, SO WHAT if you wear a size 2 or a size 22. I am so glad to see more of this attitude.

I like Tyra Banks. I think she's really earnest in her efforts to be a good role model and she works hard to help others feel good about themselves. So I agree with you, kudos to her.

That said, let's not forget that it's her looks that made her millions and she wouldn't have had her modelling career or her current show without them. Sorry, no network would give a plain looking person such a show no matter how sparkling her personality.

Look at newcasters who are hired supposedly because of their smarts and their knowledge of news and investigating reporting. Ever see an overweight, unnattractive newscaster? Why are they made-up like fashion models?

When you to travel to another country and turn on the news, the female reporters are obviously untouched by the professionals. They do their own hair/make-up and don't possess covergirl looks. I'm happy for all of Tyra's preaching and I hope it makes women feel better about themselves, but in terms of the real world in the USA, sadly it falls on deaf ears.

I appreciate that Tyra is willing to bare her unmade-up face on TV to show her skincare routine, but if she really felt her looks didn't matter that much she wouldn't spend hours a day before the show with a team of make-up artists and hair stylists, would she? After years of modeling, she knows how to put her make-up on better than 99% of all women.

BTW, what's up with her outfits? She wears the most awful clothes on her show. They look really cheap. It's not a secret she has millions, so why wear KMart level clothing? She's got a team of hair and make-up stylists, why not a better clothing stylist? (not asking you specifically, just posing a thought)

Sorry for the thread drift. Now back to our regular topic. :)

Look at newcasters who are hired supposedly because of their smarts and their knowledge of news and investigating reporting. Ever see an overweight, unnattractive newscaster? Why are they made-up like fashion models?

Sorry for the thread drift. Now back to our regular topic. :)

Umm turn on the news here... we have overweight females on the news. They are more real looking.. not to say we dont have those model type women..

Umm turn on the news here... we have overweight females on the news. They are more real looking.. not to say we dont have those model type women..

Come to think of it, you're right. I guess I'm so used to seeing them sitting behind the desks perfectly coiffed and with airbrushed make-up that I didn't notice some of them were overweight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Really off topic; why is it that the women newscasters have to have perfect hair and makeup and the men (not all of them!) look like a bunch of slugs?

We have a local newscaster who is not at all attractive, horrid hair, very obviously colors his hair himself and has no personality. I'm positive there are thousands of men just like him on local newscasts. His co-anchor is a beautiful brunette. Why aren't they held to the same standards?

I'd like to know how the Assets worked out. I currently have a couple pair of Spanx, but for future reference would like to know.

Nitra, I feel the same way as you, now that I am older. It took me over 40 years to become comfortable in my own skin, I regret not feeling this way when I was a teen. It's definitely not a new thing for women, we've always been more self-conscious of our looks than our male counterparts. I'm definitely trying to make it easier for my daughter.

I would love to know if they work and are semi comfortable. I bought a tummy slimmer from wal-mart and it is so uncomfortable but it helps to hide the sagging skin from having 2 kids. lol Oh the pain one will endure to look good. I dont do it for others just for me, so I feel more stuning. I am very proud of how I look Im not super thin but not obesse like someone else on here says I just got a little fluff. That has to be one of the best ways I have heard that described!

I'd like to know how the Assets worked out. I currently have a couple pair of Spanx, but for future reference would like to know.

I cruise in 2 weeks, I will let you know! I am taking both the Spanx and the Assets in the high waisted thigh lenth versions. I plan on wearing one and then the other and seeing how they compare.

I did put the Asset one on with a top I had that was tight, could barely button in the waist, it actually buttoned and had a little room.

I get so sick of hearing women beating themselves up and talking about how fat they are when they wear a freaking 12 or even 8. Even men do not like to hear women saying this stuff, no matter what size you are. It is all about confidence and loving yourself. I have been a size 6 and a size 26, and every size in between and NEVER have had trouble getting dates or have men offer to help me or open doors for me or whatever. I love myself as I am. Sure I could be smaller, but I am not killing myself to do it.

Find your inner peace and happiness, dress for youself, not for anyone else, make yourself happy, live for you, and the rest falls into place where it should.

I love that show What Not To wear-because they show you how to dress to show off your assets- not your flaws-and we ALL have flaws-heck, when I weighed 105 pounds 25 years ago I still had the big thighs that were actually larger then my hips. I still hated how I looked. Now I have the big middle like most middle aged women and very little behind-I have learned alot on how to make myself look better.

BTW-I am not a size 10 in my midsection area-although I can wear a size 6 in the hip area! I love the pants that are about an inch below the natural waist-now I can buy them in a size 8 ans they fit the butt decent-instead of having to buy the size 12 which I had to buy in the higher waist ones-and I had such a baggy butt in those! I hope the high waist pants NEVER come back in!

That is what I think is important-not how big or little we are but how we dress our bodies to make ourselves look our best. We can all look nice, if we learn to dress in the styles that flatter us.

I experienced spanx from 5:30 to 1:00 Saturday night and can truthfully say they were very comfortable. I'm not sure if they did the trick the whole night, because I drank enough to think "who cares"!! :D That said, I did notice I looked not bad around 5:30.

I agree with the logic of playing up your strengths, I accept that I'm a 55 yo women with poor muscle tone due to lack of exercise due to a lenghty recovery. BUT clothes are cut so close to the body these days. I'm a perfect medium 10-12, but I can't tell you how many of those tops are skin tight. A size large will not solve the problem.........so I'm waiting until the fashions change, (along with getting rid of bell bottoms), been there done that in 1969. So in the mean time, using a spanx or flexees to get a smooth line is seemingly necessary. I catalog shop and have written to both LLBean and Lands End and complained. "Please stop trying to sell clothes to my young daughter, stop all the slim and trim cuts. They have forgotten who their customers are. Frankly I feel uncomfortable in the slim spandex tops even when they fit.

Archived