Does Glory/Eastern Caribbean sway alot?

tiredmommy

Have done several cruises to Cozumel/Gulf of Mexico area and have not had trouble with the normal movement of a large cruise ship. It seems like all of the Glory reviews mention the swaying movement of the ship as being more than the norm. Is this just because the Eastern caribbean itinerary in the Atlantic as opposed to the Gulf? Is it the ship?

I'm looking in to the Glory for the eastern car. route in 2008 but would probably choose the Conquest and the same old Western caribbean stuff I've already done if the ship/route is really rocky.

Thanks for your input!

I don't know if it is the ship or the destination. I have done both the Glory and the Fantasy on an eastern route. One at Christmas and one in April.

I too had read those Glory reviews and was prepared with seasick medicine for our week at Christmas. It turned out to be fine. I wondered if it was more the time of year that people sailed as the reviews I read would have been Sept. to Nov. or at the tail end of hurricane season when, I presume the seas were rougher.

All that being said, I don't think it is the Glory at all but the time of year that folks have been sailing on her.

We did the Eastern on the Glory in 2005. Didnt notice any swaying. But we cruise in APRIL/May.

It totally may be the time of year!!

We always go the last week APril/first week of May!

WE ship out on the TRIUMPH to the Western on April 28th!! WHOOOHOOOO!!:p

I will be cruising on Glory in August so I can't answer specifically for her but I've been on the Holiday (mid September) to Cozumel very rocky...puked like crazy! I have also been on Fantasy (end November/beginning December) to Nassau, didn't notice a thing. I did buy Dramamine just in case.

I'm looking in to the Glory for the eastern car. route in 2008 but would probably choose the Conquest and the same old Western caribbean stuff I've already done if the ship/route is really rocky.

Thanks for your input!

Cruzing is all about something New! We got back from the Glory Eastern about 3 weeks ago and even had semi rough seas. I didn`t notice any more rocking than similiar ships.

Go for it! You`ll love the ship. Can I go?

We were on Glory this past Nov and I felt less motion than I did on Fantasy the year before and I get seasick easily so I was on meds both trips. We actually had a few hours on Fantasy that the ship was tilted slightly, I assume from the wind, hysterical to walk just enough on a slant to be aware of it, but not to have any problems with it. The sway or movement have more to do with the motion of the ocean than anything else.

We did the Glory Eastern twice. Once was in January and once was in February. It was 2 different years. I use the patch now anyways. It was fine. Not much rocking at all. Out of all the ships we have been on, the worst one was this past February. We were on the Legend. We were standing in lines at the buffet. Even my husband said it rocked the most of all the ships we were on. I talked to the lady behind me. She loved the rocking. She had been on the legend. I didn't enjoy it. My husband hasn't used the patch in the last 5 cruises. He got sick this past one.

Was on the Glory eastern in September. Difficult to detect any movement at all. It all depends on the weather (the sea, that is). Three times we have cruised in September..two eastern and one western...no real difference. Guess we hit it lucky. Seas are often rougher in September (but prices are usually lower too!)

I agree it's the weather & seas that causes ship motion. On a cruise from NY to the caribbean it was rough one way and calm the other way. Wind and storms generates waves. If seas are more than 2-3 feet you will notice.

In caribbean waters the chances of seas greater than 2-3 feet is less than in the Atlantic, so look at your route. But it can happen any time, so take some medicine with you and enjoy anyway!

My DH thinks it's weird that I can feel all the motion I do. He's a Navy reserve officer and did 4 years active time onboard a ship and he can tell it's moving, but it doesn't bother him. I on the other hand as I said previously get sea sick. The ship moves according to the motion of the seas and the larger the ship, the less people will feel it. I might have been fine on the Glory last year but didnt want to find out the hard way the way I did on Fantasy the first night. Less drowsy Dramimine is my friend :D . Cruise ships are pretty much all designed for the comfort of the passengers. But, there are those of us that feel every movement. It's an inner ear thing.

Archived