Marriott Grovsenor Square

Nymue

I have stayed at the Marriott at Grosvenor Square numerous times, using our Marriott Points on all but one occasion. As I recall, this hotel was called the Europa before Marriott bought it many years ago, so it is not the usual Marriott.....Much smaller and more European in layout. The lobby is quite small and the staff at the desk very welcoming and helpful.

Over the past couple of years the hotel has been gradually refurbished and is now more modern in style, both in the guest rooms and the lobby and lounge/restaurant. Rooms vary considerably in size if you choose the standard double room. ( I have politely rejected the smaller rooms, especially those on the top floor, and been given better, larger accommodations.) If you select the executive room, the space is generous by London standards. In the executive rooms, you will find a king bed with feather bed top and down-filled duvet, a sitting area with a sofa, coffee table and two chairs, and a desk area near the entry to the room. The bathroom is adequate in size, with a spacious vanity and tub/shower combination. The room decor is more modern now and done in gold and blue. In the past, more comfy chintz covered sofa and chairs were the choice. I actually prefer the old decor simply because the seating was more comfortable, but the new style is very pretty. The Executive Room comes with access to a lounge, where you would enjoy a very nice buffet breakfast each day and tea in the afternoon. If you price breakfast and tea in London, this is a valuable perk.

The hotel used to have a lounge for tea and light meals and a larger dining room for buffet breakfast and dinner. The large dining room has been closed and is now an independent restaurant, which name escapes me at the moment. I have not eaten in the small lounge in recent years as we prefer to dine in the small restaurants nearby.

We choose this hotel for the location in Mayfair which we love. We especially enjoy the little restaurants and parks nearby and simply walking about this lovely area of London. Hyde Park is also a very short walk away. Just opposite the hotel is a small convenience store which stocks bottled water, tea, cookies, fresh fruit and the like. Oxford Street is just a block or two away for banks and shops. We find it easy to walk to Bond Street and Regent Street for shopping and even walk to the West End for theatre from here. Be forewarned, however, that the walk to the West End is a long one. If you want to read recent reviews of the Grosvenor Square Marriott, try searching the name plus tripadvisor.

We are staying at this hotel in June for one night before departing on a cruise from Dover. We'll get a comfortable bed and will enjoy a pleasant morning in Mayfair before our sailing....Hope this info helps.

• 2 months later...

Crismch:

As I promised, a brief update on the Marriott at Grosvenor Square follows.

We arrived late the evening of June 11, and after requesting a room like the one we previously had enjoyed, were given a room on the third floor. Small by American standards, it was satisfactory. The only problem we had was that the air conditioning did not appear to be working. The bellman told us it would take a few minutes for the air conditioning to start, and that was the case. The air conditioning was adequate. I would warn you that the staff will usually send you off to a sixth floor room, unless you specify you prefer another floor. Those rooms tend to be quite irregular in shape and can be warm.

The room we were given had not been renovated, and that seems standard if you use your Marriott points and do not upgrade to an executive room by paying a one hundred pound per day surcharge. Because we were arriving late and staying only one night, we were satisfied with our room.

After venturing out for a late light dinner at a nearby restaurant, we enjoyed a good night's sleep. This hotel is consistent and dependable. If you take an executive room, it is even nicer, of course.

Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Thanks for the update on the hotel. We booked it through the cruiseline so I bet it's just the standard room - would love it if it was the executive!

How did you get from the airport to the hotel? We were considering taking a van shuttle but we are now also considering a private car hire.

Crismch:

We took a taxi to the hotel. It's quite easy to do as the taxis are available right outside the baggage/custom area at Heathrow. As you probably know, London taxi drivers are wonderful fellows, and provide a lovely drive into central London.

Route6A

Just viewed the info on my pre-cruise stay that shows our room includes a "contintental breakfast." As that means different things in different countries I was wondering what I should expect that to include?

Hi,

We have stayed at the London Marriott Grosvenor Square three times now. We usually use points and have been pleased with our accommodations. The rooms were furnished very nicely. We have had smaller rooms in other hotels in London, so we always thought that London hotels had small rooms in most of their hotels (except the very luxurious ones), so we were happy with the Marriott. If your room includes a continental breakfast, be very happy since my brother-in-law had a cup of tea there for about $10 U.S. My husband and his brother then proceeded to a breakfast place (which the hotel recommended) a block away. We have a favorite Italian Restaurant around the corner -- you can ask the concierge -- I believe it has Sicily in its name and it's on the same side of the street as the U.S. Embassy. The location of the hotel is wonderful as has been posted previously on this thread. Be prepared to pay $100 U.S. dollars (50 pounds) from the airport to the hotel. Things are skyhigh in Europe. We have been in Europe twice this year and it's only June 29th and are returning in October.

Also, there are many car or van services listed on this board. Just use the search mode at the top of the page.

Sheila

Archived