Taking Your Own Luggage Off

gojojo

It would be a lovely world if all people followed the rules and there were never any customs or immigration problems to be dealt with.

In the real world, there are delays, sometimes even for self-assist. The one time we attempted it, the ship did not clear for disembarkation until 8:30 am. By that time, it seemed everyone onboard wanted off and the gate area was packed with people hoping to dash to the door when their color was called.

We've had easy disembarkations, we've had difficult ones. We've been the first off the ship, we've been the last (note to self, never again book the lowest level, no matter what the savings ;) ).

Personally, I think the ship does try to limit the number of self-assist, but so many don't sign up, then decide to do it anyway and rush the exit. With the line being long, the staff isn't going to turn people away.

Way too many people just don't get that once they disembark, there will be a customs line and it can take a while. Just relax in the area the assign you to wait. Sitting on top of your pile of luggage in the lobby isn't going to get you out of the terminal all that much quicker.

From personal experience, if you hang back just a bit, let the crowd rush through, your color luggage area will be a little more clear, easier to find your bags :) .

We'll never do self-assist again unless we absolutely have to, but then, we're not into creating stress for ourselves and generally fly out a day after the cruise returns to port, or late in the day and enjoy a day at the port town.

What is the latest you have to be out of your cabin? and What deck do you get off of the ship?(Mariner) Thanks, I know my kids will want to sleep as long as possible!

Dont know about what deck but they require you to be out of your cabin by 8 or 830a. this way they can start turning the cabin for the next group. Sorry kids are going to have to get up early that morning and get a move on! I have asked to leave my few things in the cabin, in a corner, until I ate, then came right down and got them out of the way, usually having the stuff out of the cabin by 830 at the latest. I try to be considerate of these hardworking souls and get out of their way!

Did this once on the Radiance. More Hassle than benefit. Took 4 large suitcases down to exit from deck 9 via stairs, elevators constantly crowded. I was more sweaty and annoyed than I have ever been leaving a ship. I would not do again IMHO

On our March Celebrity cruise, we just didn't put our bags outside. No one said anything about us having to be off the ship at a certain time if we carried off our own bags.

Frankly, we much preferred it. Yes, we have a fair amount of luggage (large suitcase each, garment bag, and carryon each) but it was much less hassle than searching for it among all the other bags and worrying about items being stolen! Our travelling companions spent over an hour trying to find a mislaid bag the morning of disembarkation and nearly missed their flight, while we had a leisurely breakfast and just left when we felt like going and caught a taxi without dealing with the madhouse of people looking for luggage.

We didn't have trouble getting an elevator, either. We disembarked around 9:00.

Archived