Departure Time Out of IAH from Galveston

prairie55

We have a 1:05 pm departure time out of Houston Intercontinental (IAH). Is this too early considering we'll be disembarking from Galveston on the Carnival Conquest? What should we do to make sure we can make our flight?

Plus, there are cool things to do in Galveston if you get off really early. I loved shopping on the beach. On our last cruise, we made an extra trip back to the shops in Galveston to get some stuff we really wanted and didn't find cheaper in Mexico as we hoped. :D

It's a 60-90 minute trip from the port at Galveston to IAH, depending on traffic. If you self disembark, you should be OK; if not, you may want to consider a later flight. Are you using Carnival transfers or other transportation? If it's the former and you don't self-disembark (which gets you off the ship early), you will have to wait for the bus to fill before it will leave for IAH which will make the 1:05PM flight even more risky.

It's a 60-90 minute trip from the port at Galveston to IAH, depending on traffic. If you self disembark, you should be OK; if not, you may want to consider a later flight. Are you using Carnival transfers or other transportation? If it's the former and you don't self-disembark (which gets you off the ship early), you will have to wait for the bus to fill before it will leave for IAH which will make the 1:05PM flight even more risky.

More like a consistent 90 minutes, possibly more if there is any issue (accidents, bad weather, etc...).

Depends also if you are using transfers or your own vehicular means...

Debarkation at Galveston can be a mess. I barely made a 2:20 flight, best to give yourself lots of time.

I'll second that. There's another thread the last couple of days on best/worst ports for embarkation and debarkation - Galveston gets my vote for worst debarkation based on our one experience. It was zoo that day.

I don't remember what time it was....maybe something like..."if you have a flight at 2:00 pm or earlier...you could go to the Pursers Desk...and get early disembarkation tags"....like, white or something like that...anyhow....that's what we did last year....and had no problems making a 1:00 or 2:00 pm flight. Worked out fine. However, worst comes to worst...and say you miss your flight....HECK IT AIN'T like missing the boat....I bet your house will still be waiting for you...whenever you get home!

We'll be renting a car at IAH and driving to Galveston and leaving it there and will be driving it back after we disembark. Is it possible to rent two one-way's?

Ensure that the Front Desk knows you need to be off the ship as soon as possible. Do this early in the cruise (they will give you paperwork in your room for this). Fill it out and take it to them as soon as you get it.

We used Gulf Coast limo service both ways. It was cheaper than Carnival transfers. Family owned, Fabulous service.

gulfcoastlimo.com

We did self assist, got off about 8:00, limo picked us up at 8:30, we were in front of US Airways around 10AM. Our flight was for 12:30.

We'll be renting a car at IAH and driving to Galveston and leaving it there and will be driving it back after we disembark. Is it possible to rent two one-way's?

I have two separate one-way rentals (mini-van) from Enterprise. Much cheaper than I could find for shuttles or transfers.

Archived