How much to tip kid's club counselor?

Jamrenjer

You cant just tip a specific counselor, mostly tips are pooled, so remember...your specific counselor is receiving tips from other parents of children in different age groups. Also, we loved it when parents also gave us a bottle of wine, or a bottle of rum, vodka, etc. as crew arent allowed to bring booze onboard. We would all meet in the crew bar on the last night of the cruise and celebrate another cruise finishing...just a thought.

Wow... I'm really impressed that the kids club is free. When I was at the Atlantis Resort, they had "Discovery Kids Camp" for $90 a DAY! (9-5) and $40 for half day (9-noon or 1-5).

There are work groups onboard a cruise ship that are much more entitled to be felt sorry for than YC's. As a young, norwegian officer I got to know quite many of them (some VERY well :) :) ) during my three years with NCL, and they were mostly young canadian girls (GREAT girls, btw :) ) doing something different after college, and at the same time having a good time. And I never heard them complain either.

Room stewards, waiters, butlers etc from other parts of the world support their families with their income. And we're not talking just the immediate family here - brothers, sisters, cousins get their share too.

But don't get me wrong - the YC's are doing a great job, and are mostly fantastic people.

I completely agree with you that their are positions onboard that are horribly underpaid and much more overworked other than Youth Staff, but waiters, cabin attendants, etc. make a lot more money for their 80 + hours they work. I am talking in the grand scheme of the entertainmnment staff, you cant tell me crew staff works harder than youth but they (and dont need a college degree)get paid much more. Like I said before, its the same way society treats teachers and social workers, everyome wants you take take great care of their kids but no one wants to pay you for it. (BTW the last time I was on ships the cleaners and laundry were getting paid $600 a month for 80:( hr work weeks...now that is sad.)

you cant tell me crew staff works harder than youth but they (and dont need a college degree)get paid much more.

The captain doesn't need a college degree for his position either but I think everyone will agree that he should have the highest salary:)

Honestly - I agree with you that the pay for YC's should be more. They should make the same as hosts/hostesses as they also have other cruise staff duties than taking care of the children.

I am a teacher at the moment. It is increasingly difficult to find a permenant teaching job here due to a falling birth rate, so I am heading off to do youth staff come June. I have worked hard for the past 5 years getting an Honours Degree and feel that that should be rewarded.

It seems to me that the cruise lines reward this by perks...including being allowed to make use of the public areas of the ship/allowed watch the shows etc, instead of cash.

Also consider that certain positions (including youth staff) must pay for their own flights, visas, uniform, medical before even setting foot on a ship.

Im sure ANY little extras from guests would be MUCH appreciated.

Archived