How much to tip kid's club counselor?

Jamrenjer

I know everyone has a different opinion-- but I wanted to ask what one might normally tip a kid's club counselor? Any and all answers appreciated. It seemed to us- on the last night of the cruise-- not many of the parents were leaving them tips, and we thought that was kind of rude, as they really do a great job. Are their wages good otherwise? Thanks in advance:)

We were on the Dawn and loved the kids crew. We left them $100.00. I also noticed that not many parents were leaving tips. It is sad that people would do this. I hope they liked it as I have no idea how much to tip them either!

Since they are "tipped" employees they don't earn what they would shoreside so tips are greatly appreciated and unfortunately many parents don't tip or tip low. I would consider how many hours I used Kids Crew, how many children I left there, and what $ amount per hour, per child, I want to tip and tip accordingly. They also pool their tips.

Maybe we have missed them---but have never seen alot of posts/threads about how much to tip them... we noticed they had a little bucket out etc.-- but as stated earlier-- not many were tipping them... Still haven't found how much they make in wages. I guess it isn't any of my business, but it would help me the next time-- in determining how much to tip.

:)

Maybe we have missed them---but have never seen alot of posts/threads about how much to tip them... we noticed they had a little bucket out etc.-- but as stated earlier-- not many were tipping them... Still haven't found how much they make in wages. I guess it isn't any of my business, but it would help me the next time-- in determining how much to tip.

:)

The answer is easy, how much would you pay a baby sitter to watch your kids for one night? Then multiply that number by the number of days you use their services. At least tip more than what you would pay a baby sitter for one night.

Youth staff gets paid the least out of the "entertainment staff" onboard-roughly $1300-1600 a month...sad huh? considering you need have a BA in a related field as well as CPR first aid trained

Why is that "sad"? The staff are choosing to do this. It is a market economy, and they are accepting of this as their wage (supplemented by tips). We were talking with one of the staff (a lovely young woman from Canada). She signed on for a contract year knowing the experience would be great on her resume, and looking forward to a year of hard work + adventure. She had more than decent accomodations, and even cleaning staff for her room (she tipped them). It was her choice!

Thanks for the replies.... I guess it is all relative-- and which angle you look at. Obviously those who do it-- know ahead of time what they are getting into so to speak. As mentioned, some probably do it for a year or two for the experience etc. We will continue to tip-- according to how often we use their services. I was just trying to make sure they were not paid such small wages as waitstaff etc... thanks again for the info.:) Happy cruising!

Thanks for the replies.... I guess it is all relative-- and which angle you look at. Obviously those who do it-- know ahead of time what they are getting into so to speak. As mentioned, some probably do it for a year or two for the experience etc. We will continue to tip-- according to how often we use their services. I was just trying to make sure they were not paid such small wages as waitstaff etc... thanks again for the info.:) Happy cruising!

And some use it as an entry level position for a career onboard. Julie the CD on the Spirit worked in the kids club on the Star, then CD staff, then Assit. CD on the Dawn, Acting CD on the Dawn, and now a full time

I usually tip $50 for the week. That's for 2 kids that I take to kids club usually only for the evening session 7pm-10pm.

They are salaried employees - They make their salary plus room and board and have lots of time off to enjoy the sunshine and the ports. Its not a terrible paying job for someone with an education or liberal arts background considering their living expenses are paid.

This is a question and not a recommendation for anything but Isn't this what automatic tipping is for ... to compensate ALL crew members?

That said we usually go with the automatic and if the service is satisfactory we supplement the tip.

This is a question ... not looking to get into a debate.

This is a question and not a recommendation for anything but Isn't this what automatic tipping is for ... to compensate ALL crew members?

That said we usually go with the automatic and if the service is satisfactory we supplement the tip.

This is a question ... not looking to get into a debate.

The auto gratuity is not for everybody! Just restaurant waiters, waitresses, cabin stewards, and front desk personnel. Bar waiters, waitresses, and bar tenders have the 15% auto gratuity added upon the bar bill.

Kids Crew, Spa personnel, concierge, and butlers don't receive any auto gratuities, since they don't provide a service to everyone. You should tip them extra separately.

Trust me, I worked onboard 2 different cruiselines as youth staff for 3 years and it is sad that youth gets paid less that cruise staff, AV, dancers, etc. and none of these other positions require a college degree, its the same way society looks at teachers, social workers, etc. Just my opinion. BTW...you would be surprised how many people dumped they kids all day, would be late picking them up, not picking them up on port hour days, etc. It was a fun job but we were always amazed how some parents just dumped their kids for the entire vacation with us.

Your insight is quite good for this thread. You must have an opinion about tips since you worked on two cruise lines over three years.

What are fair tip amounts?

I assume you enjoyed working with the kids. I am a responsible parent and do not do the things that you expressed. I will have to say that I have to force my kids away from the kids club since they love it so much.

Thanks

Aloha-

I aways appreciated being tipped, however I never expected it b/c the norm of youth staff is to NOT be tipped at all. Just remember, that when you do tip a specific couselor it is all pooled together and split by the entire youth staff. But a $50 tip is defenitely appreciated by all.

Thanks for your input maui07. We had tipped to a specific counselor-- as the other one, unfortunately was very aloof and quite rude. We thought maybe she was just having a rough day, but throughout the cruise it continued off and on. Oh, well-- just had wanted the tip to go to the specific counselor.... Thanks for your reply.

Archived