I have HUMP CABIN and EXTENDED BALCONY photos

Hello everyone. I was on the Jewel of the Seas last week and I stayed in hump cabin 8088 with my family of three. I know that many people always have questions about hump cabins, so I took as many pictures of the cabin and the large balcony as I could. This is my first time trying to do webshots, so I hope it works out. The cabin was fantastic!!! The balcony was as almost as big as the actual room! The location could not be beat: the elevators, centrum and explorer's court were steps away. We never had to use a hallway. The sound proofing is amazing. It would be almost silent in the room and someone would open the cabin door and it sounded like a concert going on in the centrum. A very very faint music could sometimes be heard, but if you didn't try to hear it you couldn't. I can not say enough about this cabin and the cruise. If you have questions about the room I will be happy to answer them. I recommend to everyone to try to get a hump cabin on a future cruise on a Radiance class ship. There are seven similar rooms on each of the Radiance class ships, so good luck for future bookings. You won't regret it! http://community.webshots.com/album/558694198IjvlAP?start=0

Thanks so much for the pics. I will be in room 8086 next yr. I can't wait. I am really glad to see that the balcony is glass. Did you notice the room next to it (8086) Heard it was a little smaller, but still bigger than a regular balcony. This will be my first hump cabin, and I'm sure that's all I will want after this.

Hello everyone. I was on the Jewel of the Seas last week and I stayed in hump cabin 8088 with my family of three. I know that many people always have questions about hump cabins, so I took as many pictures of the cabin and the large balcony as I could. This is my first time trying to do webshots, so I hope it works out. The cabin was fantastic!!! The balcony was as almost as big as the actual room! The location could not be beat: the elevators, centrum and explorer's court were steps away. We never had to use a hallway. The sound proofing is amazing. It would be almost silent in the room and someone would open the cabin door and it sounded like a concert going on in the centrum. A very very faint music could sometimes be heard, but if you didn't try to hear it you couldn't. I can not say enough about this cabin and the cruise. If you have questions about the room I will be happy to answer them. I recommend to everyone to try to get a hump cabin on a future cruise on a Radiance class ship. There are seven similar rooms on each of the Radiance class ships, so good luck for future bookings. You won't regret it! http://community.webshots.com/album/558694198IjvlAP?start=0

Thank you SOOOO much - we have a similar one on the TA cruise December this year on the Brilliance - Deck 9 - and it's so great to see how large it really is.

Fran in Toronto

SugarNSpice8104: I did notice room 8086. It is a little smaller than room 8088 because it is a more curved shape at the railing, but at the least, it is double the size of a normal balcony. It had two lounge chairs, two regular chairs, a small table and great views. Because of the curve it looked a little crowded with two lounge chairs instead of one, but it is still very large and well worth it. You won’t be disappointed, the location and balcony are great.

The Big Booper: Yes, I got my pictures retrieved, and I now know, as you said, you can never have too many backups.

love2vacation: We had the new bedding, but while it was pleasing to look at, the duvet was to warm and too heavy for the Caribbean climate. We had to have it taken off the bed after the first night. I am used to duvets being soft and fluffy, but this one was thin and weighed a ton. The mattress was comfortable and there were plenty of pillows, but the duvet was so heavy it felt like the mat they put over you in the dentist’s office when they take x-rays. No joke! The cabin steward removed it and put a blanket on the bed in its place. My son said the pullman was so hard he would rather sleep on the floor. I tested it out and it was as solid as a rock. QM2 still has my vote for best bedding at sea.

Nothin' But Sun: There is only one pullman bed in the cabin, but there is a sofabed as well, which is not shown on the deck plans. Check the deck plans to see if any similar cabin holds four people. These are the similar cabins on the Radiance class 1056, 9078, 9092, 8088, 8102, 7094, 7108

Some of the best photos I have seen....a lot of thought has gone into them. We have 9078 on our upcoming Caribbean cruise and so we really appreciate the effort you have gone to to give us a complete overview of the cabin and balcony. Excellent....

WL x:D

I have just booked 8088 for our September 2008 Radiance 14 night Ultimate Alaska . I have heard great things about 8088, but I am a little dissapointed to see that it is completely covered and enclosed. Do you get any sun on this balcony. Would an aft balcony have been better , as in Partial cover and partial ly open. I ignored the aft because travelling north and south I thought the side would be better.

Please let me know your thoughts on this

MortgageChick: The balcony is covered, but it did not make the room appear dark or in a tunnel as some people fear. Plenty of light came onto the balcony and into the cabin. If you are looking to get a suntan while on the balcony, especially in Alaska, you might have a little trouble. About one third of the balcony was covered in direct sunlight in either the morning (before 11:00am) or late afternoon (after 4:00pm). While the sun at these times is not as strong as in the middle of the day, you can still put a lounge chair parallel to the railing and lay in the sun. We liked the fact that the balcony was covered because we always had some shade to sit or read in. According to our tablemates, their regular balcony baked in direct sunlight most of the afternoon, making it and the cabin very hot. When you are in the cabin it is not necessary to use the shear curtains to keep out the sun, so you can enjoy sea views from inside. On a cruise a couple of years ago our cabin seemed to always have direct sunlight, and we had to choose between using the shear curtains during the day or wearing sun glasses inside the cabin. The huge balcony is definitely worth it, sunlight or no sunlight. The only thing we didn't like was that the balconies on all the Radiance class ships, with exception of the suites, do not have lights on them to use at night. We sat outside every night, but just left our curtains open to let light outside. Now for the aft balconies: I have never stayed in one but talked to a couple who was staying in one on our cruise. They told me that they would not recommend it because they could feel the ship move all night. Also, I think that the when you stand above the aft balconies, you can see the people standing at their railings. Cabin 8088 is 100% private, and the location is perfect unlike the aft balconies. We never had to use a hallway. I hope this helps you to decide. I am sure that you will love 8088 and its convenient location.

Hi QM2 - we are quite pleased that we get the option of the shade for our Caribbean cruise....:D May I ask, was there a partition door to the balcony as my folks are next door to us....I know the chances of there being one are slim, and the chances of opening it up are slimmer still..but I just wondered! Thanks again for the great pics:D

QM2 - Thanks so much for the photos! My friend and I will be in Cabin 9092 aboard the Jewel in November and I've searched far and wide for pix of the balconies on the hump cabins. Your photos are super!

I didn't realize though, that the balconies are enclosed.:( But after reading through these posts, I think the benefits outweigh the idea of an "open air" balcony! Rain or shine, we can still enjoy the view. And I'll be sure to bring along a booklight so I can read out there at night.

I'll be taking pix of our cabin and balcony and will also post them when we return in case anyone cares to see them.

Cindy

wakelover: I am sorry to say that there are no partition doors between the cabins. However, the balcony is so large that you and you folks could easily enjoy the extended balcony together. On the last night of our cruise we invited a couple whom we sat with at dinner over for a drink on the balcony. If you need more seating, the balcony could easily hold another regular chair or two, or you could just sit on the lounge chairs. The three of us plus the couple had plenty of room to sit / stand and walk around a bit.

copnlpn2: You are right. The benefits definitely outweigh the flaws, if you can actually call them flaws. The balcony still had an open air feeling and you can still enjoy a nice breeze, just not in direct blazing sun. Enjoy!

Thanks QM2 - we are quite lucky because a few months after we booked our cruise, friends decided they wanted to come with us. Not only did we manage to get them a cabin....but we got the identical one to ours on the other side of the elevators, same deck. I cant believe it was still available....:D Seems like between us we have a lot of balcony space!!!

I am glad to hear the cabin is not too dark as when I asked about theses cabins, some said it was. My friend is a bit of a sun worshipper so I suppose she'll have to go on deck....

When I looked at some other photos, these balconies looked a bit narrower than standard balconies...is that the case or just an illusion?

It must be an illusion because the balcony is the same width as normal balconies: the width of the cabin. I would say it is about 10 feet across by 12 feet deep. (I think that would be a little more than 3 meters by 4 meters. :) ) The upper decks are best for sun worshiping.

Out of interest I assume by your screen name that you have sailed the QM2 - I have read so many reviews which say it isnt all its cracked up to be and wondered what you thought....?

We dont like the idea of a segragation, and to be honest although we enjoy formal evenings we think it may be a bit formal for us.

???:)

Thanks for the great pictures QM2. We have 8088 on the Jewel on our Nov. cruise with Cindy. I am so excited about getting that cabin. Hope to be able to snag that same cabin on the Serenade for next Nov.

Judi :)

Thank you QM2 for the great pics and explanation of the balcony. We have 9092 booked on Brilliance in Nov. and you have allayed all my fears and answered all my questions. Now if you could just make the next 7 months pass more quickly you would truly be my HERO!!!! Thanks again.