I have HUMP CABIN and EXTENDED BALCONY photos

wakelover: Hi. We sailed on QM2 back in 2005 for 8 nights and we have a 14 night holiday "voyage" booked on the QM2 for December. The QM2 is our favorite ship to date in every way. The people who say it is not all that it is cracked up to be either expect way to much out of it, are extremely hard to impress, just want to complain, think that the penthouse at the Ritz isn’t big enough, would rather be partying on a Carnival ship, or just want others to think that they are too good for the famous Queen. I know this is a generalization, but really, the QM2 is in a class of its own. Other luxury lines may have even better or more personalized service or food, but you can’t get the kind of grand opulence from a small Seabourn or Silversea yacht that you can from the massive QM2. The ship and the ship’s services, cabins and amenities are fabulous. The “segregation” onboard is sometimes misunderstood. If you didn’t know it existed you never would have known about it onboard. Here is my analogy: On all cruise lines, when you pay a big sum of money, you get a big room. On Cunard, when you pay a big sum of money, you get a big room AND better food. Now, the Britannia class, which is what we stay in, has great food; the best I have had on any cruise line. So, it is not that you have to stay in the Grills to get good food. The Britannia class has excellent food, and the Grills have the best food at sea. Take your pick. Outside of which dining room you eat in and the Queen’s Grill Lounge, which is like the concierge lounge on RCL, everyone shares the rest of the ship together and everything the ship offers. As far as dress goes, Cunard is definitely more formal than RCL, but not too formal. Both of our cruises are in the Caribbean on QM2, which is slightly more relaxed than transatlantic. We thought it was great that formal dress is actually enforced in the dining room on Cunard though. Last week on the Jewel we thought it was hilarious that some men think a pair of kaki pants and a button down shirt is formal. I highly recommend the QM2 to anyone with an open mind who wants to take part in a valued tradition. It is really hard to describe the QM2, it's just so mind boggling. Wow that was long winded…:)

SugarNSpice8104: The balcony door that I took the photo of is in the locked position. It turns 180 degrees. When you have the handle pointing upward it is locked, downward it is unlocked. I think it would be hard for a 3.5 year old to unlock the door. Also, there is a child safety lock on the door near the top. I am surprised I saw it because it is recessed. When you pull it outward it overrides the main door handle. You can use that for added security because there is no way a 3.5 year old could use that lock. No worries! :D

Thanks for the great photos. We had 8088 on the Brilliance Caribbean a

while back and the same cabin on the Serenade for our Oct. '05 Panama

Canal transit. Brought back great memories. We've got 8086 on another

Canal transit in '08 (this time East to West, San Juan to San Francisco).

You're correct about the sound. Heard nothing of the elevators, and we

had to strain to hear any music from the atrium. The lounge chair

parallel to the railing was perfect for sun, and we had shade if we

wanted it by sitting back just a little. I think my favorite photo I took

was of the sunrise on the Pacific looking forward from the balcony.

Great views. I recommend the port hump cabins to everyone I can.

Thanks, again,

Barb & Jim

QM2-

My husband and I have cabin 8088 on the Radiance for March '08 for an Eastern Caribbean. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have 8086. Soooo excited and I absolutely loved seeing your pics.

Just wish we could talk RCCL into removing the partition between the two cabins. What an awesome party site that would be.

Had ANYONE ever gotten RCCL to open the cabin dividers. We were on HAL last November, had three cabins all in a row, and they opened our dividers. It was a great place to sit out for evening cocktails and appetizers before dinner.

Nancy

ndlamrow: It is not that the dividers are able to be opened, it is that they cannot be opened. Unfortunetly there is no door between the balconies like on other ships, the divider is a solid panel. You are right though, if there was a removable divider it would be an awesome party site. On the bright side, 4-6 people can easily use balcony 8088 at the same time.

• 7 years later...

I know your post about cabin 8088 was back in 2007, but when I tried to view the webshot photos I didn't see them. We booked this cabin on the Brilliance for next year. Is there anyway I can see your photos? I would really appreciate it! Thanks! I hope you'll see this message! :)

Your photo's are great, thanks for sharing them with us.

Could you share how you saw the pics? Webshots, as it was in 2007 doesn't exist. It was sold, renamed to Smile, which went under and now is back as Webshots but a merged version of the old and the new. I had a premium subscription and all the photos I had before had to be removed or they would be lost.

Thanks so much for the pics. I will be in room 8086 next yr. I can't wait. I am really glad to see that the balcony is glass. Did you notice the room next to it (8086) Heard it was a little smaller, but still bigger than a regular balcony. This will be my first hump cabin, and I'm sure that's all I will want after this.

You will enjoy your 8086 balcony.It's pie-shaped, and way larger than a standard balcony.😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Bummer...when I clicked on the link the photos didn't come up...just a home page for webshots???

We are is sort of a hump cabin on Jewel...1560 so would love to see them.

What am I doing wrong?

For those interested photos of Cabin 8088, I did a Google image search and found some. I like the way the bed is configured. I'll be sleeping on the side closest to the bathroom and door--the side I sleep on at home. :)

• 5 weeks later...