Island Princess Alaska Pics

rnjoel

Well, finally got all our Alaska photos uploaded. There's LOTS of them, but I tried to label the albums, so if you're interested in a specific port, you can pick and choose....

We were on the land tour starting in Fairbanks on June 12 (came in a few days early), and on the southbound Island Princess starting on June 19.

If you have any questions, please let me know!!

Here's the link: [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/ronzillafl/1[/url]

Happy Sailings!

Thanks for the pictures, Joel and Ron. They were great, the labels were really helpful. My Mom and I are taking the Island Princess northbound on 9/4..... seeing the pics was a great preview.

It's my first cruise and my Mom's second, we can't wait!

-- Sarah

• 8 months later...
Thanks Ron & Joel,

Great pics, we head out in 3 weeks and I only hope we are as lucky with the weather as you seem to have been. Having seen your pics I'm really glad we opted for a cabin with a balcony as it seems that you got lots of use out of it? Breakfast on the balcony sounds great. Any other tips on must see things to do in Alaska?

And I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

How was the Salmon Bake in Pioneer Park? Good food? You had pics of the melting ice house, what else is there to see in Pioneer Park? We'll be in Fairbanks on the solstice June 21, so I think there will be some special activities also.

I saw you had breakfast on your balcony - how cold was it? How about for dinner one evening - temps okay to be comfortable eating out there?

What did you think of the Mt. Roberts tram? You got some good pics and mentioned hiking - a good choice?

TIA for your reply.

Hi ceejay!

I don't mind answering your questions at all! I'll take them in order...

The Salmon Bake in Pioneer Park was great! Good food and, believe it or not, good wine! We visited the park itself earlier that day, and were kind of disappointed. Not a lot to do there. But we went back that evening for the bake....glad we did!

The ice hotel was at Chena Hot Springs, about an hour outside of Fairbanks. We were in Fairbanks for 3 days prior to the land tour due to frequent flier airline tix...so we spent a day visiting Chena. Great place!

We were on the cruise portion of the trip during the solstice, so we missed the festivities in Fairbanks. But I hear they're fun.

We did have the champagne breakfast on the balcony. It's offered the morning that you sail in Glacier Bay. (I'd say that it was a MUST DO!) It was a little chilly, but with a sweatshirt and the blanket you can get up on the pool deck (free, just sign it out and bring it back), it was very comfortable. In fact, the ONLY cool/cold days we had during our two weeks in Alaska, were in College Fjord and Glacier Bay. Otherwise, it was HOT! We were there right before the fires last year, and the temps were frequently in the 80's and 90's!!! We even had to stop and buy t-shirts, since we didn't bring any!!

Ron did the Mt Roberts tram in Juneau while I shopped for souvenirs for friends, but he thoroughly enjoyed it! He had only a short time up top, since we 'toured' with Capt Larry that day. But he said the views and the hiking were fabulous!!

Any other questions, just ask!

Happy Sailings!

Archived