Pre Cruise in Tahiti at Radisson Hotel

I have been told the flight out of LA is now an early afternoon departure.

What time does it arrive?

Using Regents air program...Is there a meet and greet at the airport and then a motor coach to the hotel?

Do you need to get local currency for a two day precruise stay or are US dollars readily accepted?

If local currency is necessary...is it better to get it in LA before departing, at the airport in Papeete, or at the hotel?

Patricks 4x4 tour has been recommended.....is it best to book before arriving via internet, go though Regent, is it too late to book at the hotel upon arrival for the next day tour?

For those that have stayed at the Radisson hotel....how long a drive into Papeete. Last time I was at the Beachcomber and used the Letruck...do they go to the Radisson hotel as well?

Been told the Le Piano bar has closed....now its the Scorpio bar in town that attracks a mixed crowd, has anyone checked out this nightspot?

Last question...if the Radisson hotel busy at night or is it more on the quiet side?

One last query....early December....how much rain should I expect? Both times I have traveled to Tahiti was the second week of September......little or no rain.

Thanks for any answers to the above question.

Tom

Yes, you will be greeted at the airport and bussed or shuttled to the hotel.

You can get local currency at the airport quite easily. I suggest you get some for a 2-day pre-cruise, since you might be out and about in Papeete, or want to buy something from a grocery store (drinks, for example, at the hotel are pricey--we bought bottled water and beer for our room.)

The hotel is quite far out (other side from airport.) But there is a Le truck I believe, and the hotel also has a twice-daily shuttle into Papeete.

I think it depends on the day of the week whether the hotel is quiet or not--there were lots of locals there the one weekend day we spent there, and they have some kind of local entertainment one day a week I believe.

It sounds like you're doing the 12/12 cruise. We've thought about doing that one too, but decided December was too hot and muggy for us (we've heard.)

I am on the 12/1 sailing...my second time on the PG.

As for heat.....I love the heat and humidity so no problem there. The last time though we were sailing into the Motu for the beach day and the rain started. Ithought I knew what rain was......but it was so heavy it was like a fire hose. If there were too many days like that, all activities outside would be a mess. So I am hoping there will be some sunny days...and that this period of time will be just the beginning of the rainy season.

I also love seas days and this cruise has three...so it should be a great cruise.

Thanks again

Tom

I have been told the flight out of LA is now an early afternoon departure.

What time does it arrive? About 9:30 pm

Using Regents air program...Is there a meet and greet at the airport and then a motor coach to the hotel? I suggest using a taxi. You will get to the hotel much sooner and avoid the other 50 or so people checking in. Taxi is about $35US and most will take UD$

Do you need to get local currency for a two day precruise stay or are US dollars readily accepted? You will need some PF money. US$ are accepted in many places but not all. Credit cards for major purchases, restaurants,etc.

If local currency is necessary...is it better to get it in LA before departing, at the airport in Papeete, or at the hotel? Get PF at ATM or from hotel. Yes you will pay more % but for two days and maybe US$ 200 of francs you may need the extra 5% is not worth the hassle to get PF in US.

Patricks 4x4 tour has been recommended.....is it best to book before arriving via internet, go though Regent, is it too late to book at the hotel upon arrival for the next day tour? It is about 7 miles from downtown and not much around it either.

For those that have stayed at the Radisson hotel....how long a drive into Papeete. Last time I was at the Beachcomber and used the Letruck...do they go to the Radisson hotel as well? Yes They go out there. You need PF and exact change. They do not run very late in PM.

Been told the Le Piano bar has closed....now its the Scorpio bar in town that attracks a mixed crowd, has anyone checked out this nightspot?

Last question...if the Radisson hotel busy at night or is it more on the quiet side? Quite except when large group is checking in.

One last query....early December....how much rain should I expect? Both times I have traveled to Tahiti was the second week of September......little or no rain.

Thanks for any answers to the above question.

Tom

BTW ask for a top floor room facing the beach.

J

Just a comment or two. If your flight is at 1 p.m., you'll arrive around 6:30.

If you have a 2-day pre-cruise, I doubt if there will be 50 people arriving all at once. We had no big crowd when we arrived for a 1-day pre-cruise, there was a little shuttle bus with one other couple in it.

This is great getting first hand info. The last trip I stayed at the Beachcomber and really liked the hotel...but got in really late. As a result you dont really get anything out of the first day on the island.

This time the Radisson hotel......its was $100 USD less than the Beachcomber, hope it is nice.

I will ask for the roon on the top as J recommended...if they will give it to me as a single traveler.

Gee.....if I get in before 7pm.....then I can get a shower, change of clothes and venture into the hotel bar and harass the bar staff.

Next moring I plan to tour the island most people dont do. Patricks 4x4 looks about right so that will be on the schedule the second day of the 2 day precruise. Then that second night into town to see whats going on. I want to find out where the crew goes that night as the ship will have already pulled in from the previous cruise to overnight. I want to break the isc or meet crew I remember from my previous sailing if they are still around. It also helps to get some insight as to whats going on in the ship.

Since I will be flying out of LAX on a Thursday I wonder how full the plane will be. My plan is to pay the upgrade to business class when I check in if there is room. Last time they charged an additional $600 to upgrade one way. It is pricey but much less than booking it upfront.Hear it has gone up to 700..... If no space, more money to spend during the trip. Heaven knows I will need a rest by time this trip comes around.

If you have any more info...please pass it on.

Tom

I wouldn't mention this if time were short or budget were tight, but since you're talking about eight months from now and since you can afford to upgrade on ATN....

Are you really sure you want to stay at the Radisson? Think Intercontinental hotels vs. Radisson hotels in any city in the world, and it's no different in Papeete. The facility isn't as attractive; the service not as efficient; the location farther from town; the choice of restaurants reduced by 50% (there's only one restaurant/coffee shop); the beach is noisy and crowded with local kids.

The $100 you're saving over two nights isn't worth as much as you will lose in terms of enjoyment. Not saying the Radisson is bad; it isn't. Many people enjoy it just fine, because it is. But the IC Beachcomber is more than $50 per night better.

Presumably, you will have the same post-cruise afternoon at the Radisson that most people have on Regent's air program. We recommend that you wait and judge for yourself at that time; if you find you disagree with our opinion, then stay there next time. With the PG, there is always a next time.

Very good guidance on the hotel....I have been going over that thought in my mind...since I really like the Beachcomber......and that fact that its closer to the down town are is probably a better aspect. Its funny, the last trip I was booked for the Rad but it wasnt totally finished and Regent moved me to the Beachcomber...guess this time I willl move myself.

Thanks for making me think......

Well, we enjoyed the Radisson partly because of the local element. It was the weekend, and yes, the beach was packed with locals boogy-boarding, swimming, hiking. I liked that aspect. It is also a black sand beach, with the most amazing sunsets. Yes, it's out of the way, that's a definite downside. There are other restaurants available by cab.

Archived