Attention to detail

JPAU

"Cabin stewart" drives me batty. Rarely are stewards named Stewart.

I was reading a Norwegian Star review today; the author said some of the specialty restaurants were "portentous." I assume he or she meant "pretentious," but I was having a good time picturing some friendly hostess saying, "Good evening. Welcome to Le Bistro!" And then...spooky music swells in the background as the hostess breaks into a maniacal laugh.

I agree. Also "mute" when they mean "moot". :rolleyes:

Also today with text messaging, spelling isn't as important as getting the message out fast. Sometimes our fingers can't keep up with our minds. These are changing times and the older folks notice the mistakes in grammer and spelling because our methods of learning were a bit different. Just ask your "DH, DD, or DMIL". Perhaps the "OP" did not consider this!

That is exactly the case. Also computers have had a big influence on the generation of people who have grown up with them. I think we rely on spell/grammar checker to look after our mistakes and, in some cases, I've seen some pretty weird substitutions that thing spits out!

I haven't had children in school for a while now so I don't know how much emphasis is put on proper grammar and word choice. Speaking for myself, in the 'old days', grammar was drilled into us.

That is exactly the case. Also computers have had a big influence on the generation of people who have grown up with them. I think we rely on spell/grammar checker to look after our mistakes and, in some cases, I've seen some pretty weird substitutions that thing spits out!

I haven't had children in school for a while now so I don't know how much emphasis is put on proper grammar and word choice. Speaking for myself, in the 'old days', grammar was drilled into us.

Spell checkers do more harm than good in many cases. People get a false sense of security, fail to proofread, and completely miss homonyms and homophones. As for grammar checkers, they're often arbitrary or use "rules" ("Never start a sentence with a conjunction," "Keep a sentence under X words," "Never split an infinitive," etc.) that are meant to be flexible or are at least arguable depending on context. Software programs dealing with complex language issues can never offer more than simplistic answers...no substitute for really learning this stuff.

Grammar taught in schools???:eek: Ask your children about sentence diagrams. Get a good picture of the blank look you'll get back.:rolleyes: Sorry, I'm getting on my soapbox. I need to calm down. Where's my medication?:p

I just find when I read something, whether on this board or elsewhere, I find it hard to take the person seriously when they can't put together a sentence properly or use improper grammar. I don't mind the odd typo and spelling error that much. When people are in a hurry those things happen and I'm sure I've done my fair share. It does bother me when they don't know which is correct.

I recently hurt my back and was investigating a chiropractor who was advertizing a device that sounded like it might be a cure. When he sent me his literature, it was full of 'do you wanna's' and 'you are gonna' along with a spelling error in every paragraph. Some sentences weren't even complete. I was so amazed that someone who is supposed to be 'professional' could not take the time to put together a document any better than that if he expected me to put my back in his hand. Needless to say, I did not go to him.

I'm sure I've officially entered the 'grumpy old lady' club!:eek:

Apologies to Beachchick – it was in fact Pride Of Aloha (a ship my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed) upon which we sailed not PofH as I mistakenly typed (so much for my title). The intent of my missive was not to slander the occasional typo and goof, but rather to point out that seemingly the more negative the review, the worse the spelling and grammar. By contrast, the more honest the reviews seem to be, the better they seem to be framed, composed and typed. I hope I didn’t offend anyone, however, if we don’t protect our language, we will surely lose it. BTW, I do enjoy and appreciate the reviews and insights and look forward to our next cruise (SPIRIT). Finally feel free to mock my use of commas - it's a weakness of mine, but I'm seeking counseling. Enjoy your next cruise!

Archived