Attention to detail

JPAU

I sometimes looks at these reviews with a sceptical eye. It seems the more negative the review, the more likely it is to be rife with misspelled words, poor grammar and improper punctuation. Quite to the contrary, the more positive reviews seem to to well thought out and written. Does this mean the better educated voyagers understand that we're on a cruise and NCL is not the Ritz Carlton? I'm a relative novice to civilian cruising with only SKY '03, PoH '05, SUN '06 (no complaints thus far) and SPIRIT coming up in '08, but can tell you the service, food and atmosphere are far superior to my US Navy cruises. Comments made on the spot to the crew do more good than complaints weeks later. It's a vacation, and taken as a whole, quite a bargain, so enjoy.

I sometimes looks at these reviews with a sceptical eye. It seems the more negative the review, the more likely it is to be rife with misspelled words, poor grammar and improper punctuation. Quite to the contrary, the more positive reviews seem to to well thought out and written. Does this mean the better educated voyagers understand that we're on a cruise and NCL is not the Ritz Carlton?

Most times, it can mean that 'normal' people are here to research cruises and to help with questions others may have, and most of the negative blurbs with outrageous things, misspelled words, poor grammer etc., are from people who I suppose just can't figure out what to do with their time.:rolleyes:

I'm a relative novice to civilian cruising with only SKY '03, PoH '05, SUN '06 (no complaints thus far) and SPIRIT coming up in '08, but can tell you the service, food and atmosphere are far superior to my US Navy cruises.

I love to cruise and I love the sea, but our last cruise on the Dream left out of Houston and we spent a few days sightseeing. The USS Texas is not a ship I'd like to spend much time on. Interesting to see, but I never would have made it on that ship.:)

I think some people are never satisfied... some people expect everything to be perfect and unfortunately bumps in the road/ocean will occur and usually it is what you make of it. Some people have legitimate problems too. I always say you cannot take one view or issue and apply it to entire ship or cruise line or anything... that being said when something does go wrong; the customer service around it is what will make you forget it or never forget it!!!!!

I believe both types. I have been on cruises that were much better than I expected, I have also been on cruses that I found disappointing in certain areas, haven't you? Yet, I have never been on a bad cruise. We have so many cruise line and destination choices available I believe most people can find one that suits them.

I think some people are never satisfied... some people expect everything to be perfect and unfortunately bumps in the road/ocean will occur and usually it is what you make of it. Some people have legitimate problems too. I always say you cannot take one view or issue and apply it to entire ship or cruise line or anything... that being said when something does go wrong; the customer service around it is what will make you forget it or never forget it!!!!!

I'll agree, customer service is important. Then again, some people aren't appeased with a simple, sincere apology. Some passengers will not be satisfied unless the customer service representative cuts their wrists and bleeds to death.

Some people will not accept no as an answer, nor accept the customer service representative initial offer.

I'll agree, customer service is important. Then again, some people aren't appeased with a simple, sincere apology. Some passengers will not be satisfied unless the customer service representative cuts their wrists and bleeds to death.

Electricron, you are a wealth of information and graphic imagery :eek:

It's occurred to me that perhaps they won't be satisfied until they get a refund or at least get their service charges removed. I wonder how many of the negative reviews are from bitter souls who weren't successful at either?

Read on another thread, "ultimately it's up to you to have a nice cruise." I think most of those people who write negative reviews are "glass is half empty" personalities. It's an imperfect world, so you'll have an imperfect vacation. I'd look for trends, if everyone is saying it's dirty, broken down, unsafe, etc, I'd be hesitant to go. If I read about the occasional lost luggage, missing reservation, broken closet drawer, I'd accept that these thing happen. But people who just complain that they didn't get towel animals and mints on their pillow at night, I think just booked the wrong cruise- they want a private yacht with the best crew that money can buy.

JPAU: Okay, I know this is a quibble, but in the interest of "attention to detail," how did you cruise on PoH in '05 when she wasn't put into service until mid-06? Did you mean PoAm/Al or did you mean '06 for PoH? (Just curious.)

beachchick

JPAU: Okay, I know this is a quibble, but in the interest of "attention to detail," how did you cruise on PoH in '05 when she wasn't put into service until mid-06? Did you mean PoAm/Al or did you mean '06 for PoH? (Just curious.)

beachchick

Some folks were on her in June 2005 :D :D

113204845_NCLPrideOfHawai002.jpg.19d5f1ded52b494f550f2ee91ffc77e8.jpg

I'm a relative novice to civilian cruising with only SKY '03, PoH '05, SUN '06 (no complaints thus far) and SPIRIT coming up in '08, but can tell you the service, food and atmosphere are far superior to my US Navy cruises.

ROFL!!!! :D

That comment reminded me of my Dad.

Do they still serve the ice-cream first in the buffet? ;)

If my dh were to type the review, it would be rife with misspelled words, poor punctuation, and horrible grammar. His typing is atrocious, and it would take half a day for him to type a positive, glowing paragraph.

But that doesn't make him less educated.

I can dance circles around him when it comes to words, grammar, typing, reading, etc. But he dances circles around me when it comes to math, history and science. That doesn't make me less educated, either.

Shay

I was talking about the over-the-top complainers to a man I know and he said he was a restaurant manager for many years and sometimes two customers would order the same meal. One would come and compliment him and say it was the best steak he had ever had, and the other one would storm up, demanding a refund and saying how the food wasn't fit for a pig. And his take was- this is not Chez Panisse, it's a family steakhouse. It's not the best steak in the world and it's not the worst. It's a good, solid, $12 steak. Can you reasonably go to a family restaurant and have expectations of fine cuisine? My friend said two reasons for the perpetually complaining: 1) they are people who go through life like that; and 2) they are hoping to get a free meal.

Like JPAU, I know how much I paid and I firmly believe that cruises are great value for the money. I do not expect deluxe accomodations, haute cuisine and a personal maid and footman. I don't expect the cruiseline to grant my every wish. I expect good food, a clean ship and friendly service and I have had my expectations met every time.

I also agree with the spelling/grammar points he made.

Barb

Well, I don't agree with the spelling/grammar point.

I will admit that sometimes the over-the-top horrible reviews have bad spelling/grammar, but I don't agree that bad spelling/grammar shows a person has limited education and only gives negative reviews. I've had negative things to say about some of our cruises, and I think I have reasonably good spelling/grammar. And like I said, my dh's spelling, and also my dd's, is atrocious. It would certainly show if they were posting on this board.

I would hate for my dh to see that comment.

Yeah, I am one of those people who have horrible speeling and grammer, I have 3.7 a BA in History, Cume laude, many awards etc... You guys get the point but I have really bad speeling and grammer, I have a learning disablity. So yeah please do not just catorgize people not being well educated just cause they have bad spelling and grammer.

Also I have notice that the reason why people notice bad spelling/grammer is when ever they find somthing they dont agree with they nit pick it and scrutinize it. If they agree with the stamment less likely to notice that there are few spelling/grammer mistakes. A good example would be if your a democratic and your lissoning to a debate, you will notice everything wrong with the republincans speach and think the Democrats speach was great. We talked alot about this both in Policatl Sciences classes and Socilogy classes.

Anyways point is try not to generalize so much.

I'm one of those people that find it hard to find anything wrong with vacation. I'm just excited that I'm on it.

So if I complain that I'm unhappy about something....it has to be something major. But I think the key is preparing for what you pay for. Some people spend $2000 on a cruise and expect top notch everything.

Looking at my cruise history you will see I went on Premier Cruises as my next cruise after RCI. My TA was worried. She warned me that the caliber of ship can't be compared to RCI, hence the very cheap price. I understood, went, and saw that she was right. But I still had a great time. I already toned down my expectations.

I'm not a picky eater which goes great with cruising. I NEVER had a bad meal in my opinion. My $$$, as long as I'm happy I don't care that the guy next to me complains his steak is too tough.

If I do find something wrong that I can't ignore, I just ask nicely for the problem to be fixed. The one phrase I can't stand is "This is unacceptable".

I swear people that say that think it will automatically fix everything. Stuff happens. The crew is already upset, I think it makes them happy when I tell them it is not a big deal. Think it helps remove some stress.

So pretty much short of the ship sinking I can be pretty flexible :D

beachchick

Some folks were on her in June 2005 :D :D

Just curious myself on the dates. :confused:

April 21, 2006

NCL America takes delivery of Pride of Hawaii

Germany’s Meyer Werft shipyard delivered NCL America’s Pride of Hawaii today at a ceremony in the Dutch port of Eemshaven.

Colin Veitch, NCL president and CEO; Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, Star Cruises chairman; and Bernard Meyer, managing partner of Meyer Werft, attended the ceremony.

NCL said in a statement that the ship would arrive in Baltimore by the end of this month, and after a series of inaugural events in San Francisco and Los Angeles in May, will begin sailing out of Hawaii June 5.

http://hawaii-travel-news.com/archiv.../04/index.html

I'm terribly picky about spelling and grammar mistakes, particularly spelling, so I try to bite my tongue when I see them because I make mistakes myself when hurrying.

But there are two that drive me insane. They are: I will 'loose' my job (should be 'lose'). Loose is for 'I lost so much weight on my cruise that my pants are now loose'; and 'you've worked hard and 'your' (should be 'you're', short for 'you are') ready for a cruise. Your is for 'you should book your cruise right away'.

Sorry for my pickiness (now that's bad). I won't bring it up again!:o

I'm terribly picky about spelling and grammar mistakes, particularly spelling, so I try to bite my tongue when I see them because I make mistakes myself when hurrying.

But there are two that drive me insane. They are: I will 'loose' my job (should be 'lose'). Loose is for 'I lost so much weight on my cruise that my pants are now loose'; and 'you've worked hard and 'your' (should be 'you're', short for 'you are') ready for a cruise. Your is for 'you should book your cruise right away'.

Sorry for my pickiness (now that's bad). I won't bring it up again!:o

"Cabin stewart" drives me batty. Rarely are stewards named Stewart.

I was reading a Norwegian Star review today; the author said some of the specialty restaurants were "portentous." I assume he or she meant "pretentious," but I was having a good time picturing some friendly hostess saying, "Good evening. Welcome to Le Bistro!" And then...spooky music swells in the background as the hostess breaks into a maniacal laugh.

Also today with text messaging, spelling isn't as important as getting the message out fast. Sometimes our fingers can't keep up with our minds. These are changing times and the older folks notice the mistakes in grammer and spelling because our methods of learning were a bit different. Just ask your "DH, DD, or DMIL". Perhaps the "OP" did not consider this!

Archived