Drive time from Huntsville, AL to Mobile for our Holiday cruise?

cadburysmom

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Alabama and am planning to drive from Huntsville, AL down to Mobile for our cruise on the Holiday. Mapquest estimates it to be about a 5 1/2 hr trip. It looks like a fairly easy drive on the map. Anyone every driven this before?

Thanks!!:)

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Alabama and am planning to drive from Huntsville, AL down to Mobile for our cruise on the Holiday. Mapquest estimates it to be about a 5 1/2 hr trip. It looks like a fairly easy drive on the map. Anyone every driven this before?

Thanks!!:)

It is 4 lane Interstate all the way. That being said, our drive to New Orleans is about the same distance....is 4 lane Interstate all the way and we still drive in the day before. That's just our personal choice.

If not driving in the day before, I would advise that you leave very early. Accidents happen that can hold up traffic so allow yourself a lot of extra time.

It is 4 lane Interstate all the way. That being said, our drive to New Orleans is about the same distance....is 4 lane Interstate all the way and we still drive in the day before. That's just our personal choice.

If not driving in the day before, I would advise that you leave very early. Accidents happen that can hold up traffic so allow yourself a lot of extra time.

Thanks. So do you think it will take 5 1/2 hours?

And I agree with you. We always try to arrive the day before a cruise. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks. So do you think it will take 5 1/2 hours?

Every bit of it ... and more if you're traveling with kids. At least it's the same highway (I-65 South) until you hit I-10 East in Mobile. And then it's only a few miles to the terminal ... could not be easier.

As it was said before ... leave plenty early.

- Bama

Living in Mobile, I've driven to Hunstville in about 4 1/2 hours - but thats booking it with no stops. so, yea, 5 1/2 is a reasonable timeframe. Just beware of hitting B'ham during morning rush - sometimes it can crawl . . . If driving day of, plan to hit B'ham before 7am to be smart . . .

And allow for any construction delays.

I know going down I75 from Atlanta to FL there is always construction.

I was on I-65 from the I-459 interchange in Birmingham to the I-85 interchange in Montgomery on Saturday and there was no construction in sight.

Other than that, this is a great source for travel problems in the state of Alabama:

http://www.dot.state.al.us/internetdocs/Apps/Bureaus/Maintenance/Emergencyroadclosures/emergencyroadclosures.aspx

I'd check that the morning of my departure for the latest advisories, closures, etc.

- Bama

Hey Magic City Cruiser. I am also from Birmingham, and 5 1/2 hours is right except if you have a carload of over 40 yr old women and they have to make frequent pit stops!:) We go to Mobile from Birmingham once a year to go on the Holiday, so we know about those bathroom breaks!

Just wanted to make you aware of ongoing construction on I-65 in Montgomery. They are widing the lanes and have just started a few months ago at the bridge over the Alabama river. No construction on weekends, but be VERY, VERY careful in that area; state troopers love to hide under the overpasses and on ramps and in the grass along that area. Speed limit is 45 and you had best do it, no matter what everyone else is doing. Montgomery police have also been known to be in that area heavy, early morning is the worst time. If you see a car sitting on the side of the road, be careful, MPD runs unmarked Dodge Chargers.

Hopes this helps. I hate getting tickets!

The Gunney

So after all this time of visiting this message board and posting to it,

I FINALLY find that there are others from HUNTSVILLE on here.

Hi neighbors!

When are you planning your cruise on the Holiday. I will be

making that trip in September. :)

Archived