nice photos of QE2

iandjm

Forgive my ignorance, but what parts of the QE2 were added on? My partner and I just booked the TA in April '08 to celebrate our 5th anniversary and can't wait to sail on her!

If you look at the 4th of Ian's photographs you will see some balcony cabins on the upper decks - these replaced a little used sports deck - and given they maintain the same roof line as the bridge integrate very well. Also on the forward superstructure is a 'box' that sticks out - this is part of the Mauretania Restaurant Galley - which used to be down escalators one deck below. This was an early addition and unfortunately led to the loss of the only forward looking public room - but overall she still looks very stylish - funnel in proportion to the rest of the ship......Enjoy your crossing!

Peter

Hi,

I was watching QE2 sail from Southampton on Saturday night and my friend took these photos. QE2 still looks the part eh! Enjoy

Ian :D

Hi Ian .... perhaps we can debate the statements on this thread onboard Constellation (you are obviously a Millennium class fan too) after Wednesday's sailing ;)

cheers

Ken

who thinks they have just about ruined QE2's original profile over the years :eek:

Thanks for the message. I've read on several of the boards that the Queen's Grill service isn't worth the extra money and I was considering downgrading to a Q3 stateroom. Is the service up there really worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Ian .... perhaps we can debate the statements on this thread onboard Constellation (you are obviously a Millennium class fan too) after Wednesday's sailing ;)

cheers

Ken

who thinks they have just about ruined QE2's original profile over the years :eek:

Hey ken, I love the 'M' class, my favourite ships. See you wednesday

Thanks for the message. I've read on several of the boards that the Queen's Grill service isn't worth the extra money and I was considering downgrading to a Q3 stateroom. Is the service up there really worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Brian

To me, yes. Although a Q3 is also Queens' Grill, and should get you the same service in the restaurant.

Apart from my first Queen Elizabeth 2 crossing, every time I have been on board I have been on the Signal Deck.

You get, for the Signal Deck cabins only, three day butlers, two bathroom boys and the night butler/steward based up there.

You get some perks that the rest of the ship don't - priority for tenders (just walk up and get on the next one, whatever the queues) and priority disembarkation.

But basically, you want it, and it's there. Very friendly and very efficient. They're all long standing crew, all of whom love the ship.

We don't have to fill in the special requests - they know how we like things.

Matthew.

(If you're on a TA, the further back the better for movement. These cabins do move - and if you're up front in 8001 or 8081 then be prepared for a rough ride if the weather is rough. I had 8018 in January - lovely room and more stable than 8001 which is the only other Q2 I've had on a transatlantic.)

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching QE2 sail from Southampton on Saturday night and my friend took these photos. QE2 still looks the part eh! Enjoy

We certainly did enjoy - both the photos as well as being so fortunate to have been on board at that particular moment! Is there any possibility that I could arrange for your friend to e-mail the high resolution versions?

Many thanks if it is possible

Captaintandemtourer@yahoo.com

Hi,

I have never seen as beautiful a photo of QE2, the last great trans-Atlantic express liner, as the bow shot you have taken. Would you consider sharing it with Cunard? If the resolution is sufficient they may want to buy it and use it. I have a contact at Cunard that might be interested in the photo. I can be reached at richard.schmidt@lacity.org. Thank you for a unique image of a great liner.

Richard

Hi,

Ian:

Were these photos taken just off of Cowes ??? Were you and your friend on one of the sailboats that we blasted with the ship's whistle ?? I was up front, standing under the Bridge all the way from Southampton to Nab Tower during our departure, and the bow-on photo looks like it could be that moment...

Archived