Hips, Butt & Thighs - Help

I'm new to this forum and so glad I found this section. The information and encouragement I have seen so far is great!

Background - Due to genetics I will never have small hips, butt &. thighs.

I'll soon turn 45.

About 3 years ago I lost about 50 pounds by eating low carb and doing water aerobics 2 - 3 times a week.

About 6 months ago the place I did water aerobics shut down and I haven't found another place to go.

I've gained about 10 pounds mostly in my problem areas.

So, does anyone have any specific ideas to target these areas and tighten and tone them?

Thanks for your advice already!

Pilates works great. You can find good Pilates workouts on DVD, or take a class, if available in your area.

I second the step aerobic exercise. It's really good for the hips and thighs, as well as general fitness. Again, you can use a DVD or tape.

Light weight training--I use dumbbells and elastic bands--also help build muscle to replace fat.

I too have the same problem area. The only thing that has helped is squats, step aerobics, and sitting like you are in a chair, only without one against a wall OUCH! However, they work. I have never exercised much, but for the last 4 months I have attended a step class 2 X per week and a weight class 2 x per week. I am finally much smaller than I have been in years. It can happen.

walking lunges are really great for the thighs. My favorite though is to take a chair or a weight bench. step up step down (just like step aerobics,except you are stepping alot higher) do this 10-15 times on the same leg then repeat on the other leg. I usually do 3 sets on each leg. you will definatley feel it the next day.

I love the idea of sitting against a wall... I am going to have to try it. For a different reason I am working on increasing my upper back strength. I stand with my back to a wall, bend backwards with the hands over my head and use the wall to support me as I do this backbend.... Seems to me I just have to get closer to the wall for this exercise!!.....Amazing what walls can do for a person!!

Tip: What not to do One time I did this backbend against a closed door and the door popped open... Just about killed myself!

Hubby went out of town for 5 days last week, I worked out at home (trying some of your ideas) everyday and ate mostly salads for lunch and dinner. I'm down about 4 pounds. Now the trick is to keep it up with him at home. The 4 pounds has made me more motivated!

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
My personal trainer said target exercising does not work. You must work your whole body, not just problem areas. Ok, I must go to bed now, feeling slightly hungrey.:(

That is true, but you can also work harder on your problem areas. My trainer has me doing extra weights for my triceps because they are a problem area and it is working. He also has me doing extra work on the bike and elliptical to help my legs. I've lost a 1/4 inch in my thighs in two weeks so it must be working there also.

I agree with what's been said. My problem is I have bad knees. I can't do step aerobics anymore. Can't run.

I have a stair stepper but can only use it about 20 minutes a couple of days a week and not really stepping as high as I should on it.

Sadly I think the problem areas mentioned get harder to change once you're past 40. I'm 44 and since I turned 40 it's been very frustrating.

I'm glad it's working for Princess Ethel.

Archived