Just back from Spirit 7-31 sailing

DevinScott

I posted more pictures for your viewing pleasure. I chose the best from the 1st half of the trip. I'll do more tomorrow. I changed the titles and mentioned which ones are from the ship. I included 1 glacier picture that wasn't zoomed to give you an idea of how close we were. Any brown specks you see around the icebergs are seals.

I'm on the "freebie" plan also, and was able to do 30 or 40 a day until I reached my maxium #. So far they look pretty good! Keep going!

You can always create multiple users. I have 3 users and therefore have about 750 picts posted.

We're on the 8/21 Spirit trip. How long was the catamaran tour of Tracy Arm? I read somewhere that it's 5 hours? Just wondering, since we are traveling with our 20 month old and he probably will not tolerate a 5 hour excursion.

I posted more pictures for your viewing pleasure. I chose the best from the 1st half of the trip. I'll do more tomorrow. I changed the titles and mentioned which ones are from the ship. I included 1 glacier picture that wasn't zoomed to give you an idea of how close we were. Any brown specks you see around the icebergs are seals.

DevinScott, thanks for your beautiful pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing more. It looks like there was a lot more ice at Sawyer Glacier than when we cruised there the first part of July.

bbcruiser, the Tracy Arm excursion is indeed about five hours long. I don't know if a 20 month old would tolerate it well or not. Do you think he'd fall asleep in the boat?

zimmerjulie, thanks for the advice, but the digital photos had already been downloaded to a computer's harddrive (the actual memory cards were reformatted afterwards) and then the harddrive ended up being reformatted in an unfortunately timed accident...there's nothing left anywhere...:o

We were starboard in cabin 10053. Have a great trip! I suggest taking the ship tour (I think they were at 1:30 and 2:00) on embarkation day. We learned where everything was and how to read the color coding on the carpet to know which part of the ship we were in.

We bought a new digital SLR camera with a telephoto lens especially for this trip...took tons of photos -- even caught the North Sawyer glacier calving -- zoomed in on a humpback and her calf out of Prince Rupert -- nice photos of bald eagles and harbor seals -- not to mention all the amazing mountains and waterfalls and rainforest....and then promptly deleted them ALL by accident when we got home!!!

Oh well...I guess photos are never as good as the memories anyway! We'll just have to go back someday!

So what kind of camera did you have to take those beautiful pictures? What you have came out really nice! Great job!

So what kind of camera did you have to take those beautiful pictures? What you have came out really nice! Great job!

We brought a Nikon D70 digital SLR camera and a telephoto lens, plus a little Nikon Coolpix 4300 for when we didn't feel like bringing out the big camera. The detail in the photos is actually much higher, but the website couldn't handle all the data, so the posted photos are actually grainier than the originals. We really were impressed with the D70 (just got it a couple days before embarkation, so this was our first time experimenting with it!).

We used an Olympus C-740 that we bought just before the trip. They also have an upgrade, I think C-750, but we were happy with the 740.

For all those of you who brought digital cameras, did you just bring enough cards for all your pictures? Or were you able to put them on a CD at a reasonable price in port? We have an Olympus Camedia which uses a smartmedia card. We are thinking of bringing our laptop, but am concerned about security in the cabin and really don't want to lug an extra piece of luggage with us. Thanks for your info.

We brought a couple of memory cards, plus a laptop computer so that we could easily download the photos onto a hard drive and re-use the memory cards. At one point we had about 700 photos on the hard drive -- it's amazing how many photos you end up taking, since there is so much beautiful scenery. We also used rechargable batteries for both our cameras.

The laptop wasn't too much of a pain to bring; we felt comfortable leaving it in the cabin all day.

Looked at different on-line agencies this past week and the only rooms available for our 9/18 cruise are suites. The price has doubled for our balcony room since we booked so it looks like we are going out with a full ship and a bargain to boot. YEA, I love it when that happens.

Hi, woodz: come join the message thread for the Norwegian Spirit Sep. 18 sailing I've been watching the room availability as well - it does show signs it's going to be a full-up sailing, doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booking a penthouse suite for 6/25/05 & this category is new to me. Does anyone know whether the queen size bed will convert to 2 twins? I am travelling with my sister. Does the wet bar have liquor provided? What exactly are the duties of the butler? Someone says he shines shoes. Is that correct. Does he iron clothes after taking them out of the suitcases? What amount of a tip would be appropriate for the butler? Anything else you can add would be appreciated.

I was on the same sailing (7/31 -- I posted a review separately) and took the Juneau excursion by catamaran to Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer glacier. I'd highly recommend this tour -- you get a lot closer to the glaciers than if you stay on the ship, and it's really something else to be in such a small boat totally surrounded by all the icebergs and harbor seals. We saw both the North and South glaciers calving -- huge chunks of ice (the naturalist on board said one of them was about the size of a four-story building). The boat is warm and there are plenty of indoor seats and wrap-around windows, so you never even have to step outside to get a good view. It doesn't leave Juneau until about 1 PM so you still have time to do other things in the port before you leave for the glaciers (you end up reboarding the Spirit out in the Tracy Arm later in the afternoon).

Sigh.. I'm on a budget.. how much is this tour? I'm determined NOT to experience buyer's remorse.

Archived