Barcelona, london and paris street - cobblestone?

...Cobbled streets?!! - Just watch out for horse and carts too:rolleyes: We (as someone has kindly already pointed out!) also have pavements.....and motorways:eek: We are progressing well:rolleyes: Oh and also thousands of roundabouts...especially in a place called Milton Keynes. Make sure you don't try pulling a pull-along case over one of those!:p

We have managed our luggage fine in both Paris and Barcelona. In Parise we were on a side street in Marais and in Barcelona we were inside the Gothic Quarter in a pedestrian area--and manages cruise luggage fine. that being said pack as light as possible. You never hear someone say--man I wish I had more luggage!!!!

I do have a Rick Steves bakpack that I have used for short trips where I don't want to check luggage--with cruise stuff wheels rule!!!

Good to know that I can roll my luggage. :) Thanks.

What about escalators?? Does most of the train stations (Franca in BCN, Victoria in London, and Gard du Nord in Paris) have escalators?? Or do I need to carry the luggage up all those stairs??

Thanks

I can't speak for Paris or Barca, but at London Victoria main train station the platforms are at 'road level' anyway - you just get out of the train, walk along the platform, and you're into the main station concourse. That's the main-line station, not the underground, of course.

As regards London underground stations, they should all have escalators or (in a few older cases) lifts.

Does most of the train stations (Franca in BCN, Victoria in London, and Gard du Nord in Paris) have escalators?? Or do I need to carry the luggage up all those stairs??

At Gard du Nord many platforms are on the road level, too. All others can be reached by ecscalators or lifts.

Yet, many exits of the metro-stations do have stairs only. There is normally at least one exit with lift or escalator but it can be harder to find this one (and a very long walk) that to use the stairs.

As regards London underground stations, they should all have escalators or (in a few older cases) lifts.
Unfortunately, there are still quite a lot of Tube stations which do not have either escalators or lifts to all levels, so that you have to walk up or down at least some stairs.

My usual advice for anyone thinking of taking luggage on the Tube is to ask: Can you lift and move all of your luggage in one go, without having to shuttle backwards and forwards? Can you carry (or roll) it several tens of yards along a flat (sometimes sloping) surface? Can you carry it up or down stairs to the equivalent of one storey? If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you will find the Tube a struggle.

Rolling luggage is little problem on escalators. Just - please! - hold on to it firmly. I have seen a fully loaded suitcase go end-over-end all the way from top to bottom of an escalator, and it was lucky that nobody was hurt.

You should find most public places/stations are well up to disabled standards and provide lifts etc when or if a moving staircase isn't provided.:)

For having been to London and Paris many times, and having used the Tube or the Metro extensively, I can tell you that this is simply not true. You will find that more than 50% of the stations either have very little facilities or none at all when it comes to disabled people. Granted some have lifts or escalators, but somewhere you must always navigate stairs. Study the tube or metro maps carefully and you will find very few disabled-friendly stations.

Unfortunately, there are still quite a lot of Tube stations which do not have either escalators or lifts to all levels, so that you have to walk up or down at least some stairs.

Here is the london underground map - and as many have said there are very very few stations that show as disabled accessible

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/colourmap.pdf

Archived