Blueherons - Inpromptu trip to NY

lmondrop

it turns out that I will be going to NY for a quick weekend in June for my fiancee's birthday. I have a question for you....I'm flying into Newark and I want to take the train into Penn Station. How long is the trip (20 Minutes?)? Or would taking a cab from Newark be easier? How much is the average cab fare from newark? I don't have a hotel yet...I'm going on Priceline tonight to see what I can get!

It takes a good hour to get into midtown by train. You tajke the skytrain to the station ouside of Newark and then a NJ Transit train into Manhattan. I suggest you check the airport bus for the easiest most direct way into Manhattan. The Taxi will take anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour depending on traffic. Its a flat rate depending on where they drop you in Manhattan anywhere from $45-60 plus tolls and tip.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html

I absolutely hate the Airtrain. It is a giant PIA with luggage and you still have to get a cab when you get to Penn Station if you aren't within several blocks of there.

Also, it has never taken me less than an hour. Ever. I hear people state that it only takes twenty minutes but it takes longer than that to get from Newark Penn Station to Penn Station.

I call Carmel Car Service when I fly into Newark. It is such a nice relaxing drive into Manhattan and it is only a couple dollars more than a cab.

For your hotel, check http://www.Quikbook.com and see what the rates are for The Park South. It is a gorgeous little boutique hotel.

You can also use Airlink or BlueVan which is the van service. It will take you to your door for much cheaper than a cab. I've used them before and it's very easy, but it's a shared ride so it takes a little longer then your own car service or taxi but MUCH cheaper.

I absolutely hate the Airtrain. It is a giant PIA with luggage and you still have to get a cab when you get to Penn Station if you aren't within several blocks of there.

Also, it has never taken me less than an hour. Ever. I hear people state that it only takes twenty minutes but it takes longer than that to get from Newark Penn Station to Penn Station.

I call Carmel Car Service when I fly into Newark. It is such a nice relaxing drive into Manhattan and it is only a couple dollars more than a cab.

For your hotel, check www.Quikbook.com and see what the rates are for The Park South. It is a gorgeous little boutique hotel.

I just booked the Park Souht on Quikbook for $209/night! Its my backup just in case priceline fails me..but I almost want to just stay there. It looks lovely! Thanks Blueherons!

For your hotel, check www.Quikbook.com and see what the rates are for The Park South. It is a gorgeous little boutique hotel.

I just booked the Park Souht on Quikbook for $209/night! Its my backup just in case priceline fails me..but I almost want to just stay there. It looks lovely! Thanks Blueherons!

It is a lovely little boutique hotel and they serve a big breakfast in the mornings. Fantabulous NY bagels with all kinds of breads, cereal, hot and cold meat, hard boiled eggs, etc.

Blue Smoke, which is one of the best BBQ restaurants is right behind the hotel and Artisanal the best cheese restaurant in Manhattan is a stone's throw away. Lots of great dining right there.

I stay there for the marathon every year because it is so reasonable.

Murray Hill is one of my favorite neighborhoods.

Archived