Falsely advertised $100 future cruise deposit on Zuiderdam

TMJplus1

Just returned from my Zuiderdam 8-day charter cruise - had an absolutely WONDERFUL time! We stopped at HMC, Aruba, and had a memorable trip through the Panama Canal (and back). This was my 2nd HAL cruise and I am quickly becoming an HAL devotee. I will post a detailed review soon.

Of course I am now suffering from my usual bout of post-cruise depression...the good news being that I'm itching, with credit card in hand, to book my next HAL cruise! We have decided to do an Alaska family cruise in Summer of 2008. I was all set to take advantage of the on-board $100 deposit offer, which was advertised in the Zuiderdam's daily program 4 times. Sadly, though, the Front Desk informed me this was a mis-print and that there was not a Future Cruise Consultant on board the Zuiderdam. After the 3rd time the false offer was printed in the program, I went directly to the Director of Guest Relations who gave me her business card and apologized for the mis-print. She said if I called HAL reservations directly they would honor the $100 deposit offer. (I had to giggle when the "mis-print" again appeared in the next day's program.)

Well, I just got off the phone with HAL reservations in Seattle and guess what? There is apparently "no way" they can honor this. I was actually told I could have booked on board if I'd just tried harder! Well, I went to the Front Desk twice and then to the aforementioned Director of Guest Relations - all of whom told me the same thing. What more could I have done, called the Captain directly!?

I'm feeling really annoyed. The unsympathetic reservations agent transferred me to someone in Guest Services, where I left a voice mail and am awaiting a return call. I'm certainly not going to let this frustrating turn of events dampen my delight over what was a fantastic cruise...however, I admit I'm feeling pretty disappointed today in HAL. :confused:

$100 deposits are only available aboard the ships - not after one has returned home. This is not a false advertisement.

Charter cruises generally do not have HAL future cruise consultants on board - the Charter companies have their own future cruise consultants for future charters and have their own specific rules for deposits, etc.

Most of the copy for the daily cruise programs is pre-printed in bulk off the ship - special ones aren't made up for charter cruises - and only a small portion is added by the print-shop on board. It doesn't surprise me that HAL didn't have a special one made up for your cruise that omitted the $100 Future Cruise deposit program.

I'm sorry that this doesn't make it better for you - and don't know why the Front Office staff would make a promise that could not be kept. I have the feeling that if you speak to Guest Services nicely - they may be able to take care of you.

I agree with Brian. The future cruise deal has to be done onboard, either with a consultant or by calling HAL from the ship. (Sometimes there's a form you can fill out and turn in while you're onboard.) That said, the front desk should have been more accommodating to your request than they were, IMO.

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't realize (though it makes sense) that things are pre-printed. That being said, it was still misleading to have it appear in the program but not be available to any of the passengers on board. A form would have been helpful, but was not provided.

I am definitely planning to use the "catch more flies with honey" method when dealing with HAL on this issue. I think what was upsetting me the most today was the snotty attitude from the reservations agent. IMO blaming the customer is not an effective approach towards customer "service".

I think the biggest problem I'm facing right now is picking a ship and itinerary for the Alaska cruise - they all sound great! Alas, this is a subject for another thread. ;)

I think what was upsetting me the most today was the snotty attitude from the reservations agent. IMO blaming the customer is not an effective approach towards customer "service".

I think the biggest problem I'm facing right now is picking a ship and itinerary for the Alaska cruise - they all sound great! Alas, this is a subject for another thread. ;)

I agree.

Now that HAL has a call-center in Butt-Crack Utah (Idaho?) - these folks are not only underpaid but underinformed - and it takes two-three calls to get through to someone who is equipped to take care of the situation or bring it to the attention of someone else who is.

CuriousJ,

I think this is pretty lousy. :mad: First off, they advertised this not once but 4 times. You did everything you could while you were on board. The only other thing you could have done was have the Director of Guest Relations put it in writing with her John Hancock. I don't really know if this would have helped but at least you would have proof of what you were told.

I would be furious with "you should have tried harder" response. If guest services cannot help I would ask to speak with a manager. Along the way I would be collecting names. If it doesn't get resolved I would be writing a letter.

Even if it did get resolved I would still be writing a letter. No one should have to go through this. The ship should not be printing the offer, and the Director should not tell someone to call Hal and the $100 offer would be honored if this is not the case.

There are only 2 centers. The first being the corporate HQ in Seattle, and the second being the satellite call center in Williston, ND.

There is no call center in utah or Idaho, wages are the same at each location (not based on "cost of living") and it's pretty sad that someone would flame employees of a specific location without knowing the situation.

I agree.

Now that HAL has a call-center in Butt-Crack Utah (Idaho?) - these folks are not only underpaid but underinformed - and it takes two-three calls to get through to someone who is equipped to take care of the situation or bring it to the attention of someone else who is.

There are only 2 centers. The first being the corporate HQ in Seattle, and the second being the satellite call center in Williston, ND.

There is no call center in utah or Idaho, wages are the same at each location (not based on "cost of living") and it's pretty sad that someone would flame employees of a specific location without knowing the situation.

Location:* Mea Culpa - I didn't look up the PR when I posted.

Pay:* The folks in Washington aren't that well paid either...

Knowledge Base:* It's always been one of HAL's failings to get the information to the folks on the front lines.

I'm sorry that it read as a slam against the employees - but in my experience, employees can only do as well as they're enabled to.

I usually see things from the cruise line's business perspective, but this time I have to say that the charter was not a spontaneous event and someone somewhere shoulda/woulda/coulda figured out that it made no sense to advertize the $100 onboard booking when there was no one on board to take the booking.

The disconnect between Seatlle and life onboard seems to increase as time goes by.

I like the OP's approach and with some persistence, I think he/she might have some success.

Archived