Need advice on which NZ/Australia cruise to take

wblevin

I promised my kids we would go to Australia when my youngest graduated HS. She is graduating in June so I am looking at a cruise the beginning of January - 8 of us going. Three ships are doing this itinerary - HAL - 14 day and Celebrity 14 day both doing NZ to Sydney; and Princess 12 day doing Sydney to NZ.

HELP - need pros and cons of the different cruises. I am really leaning toward the Princess 12 day and going out 4-5 days ahead of time to see a bit more of Australia. Question is, what would I be missing by doing the 12 day vs. the 14 day cruises?

My parents have friends on Kangaroo Island - they insist we should spend two days minimum there at their sheep ranch and touring the island. I know I am packing what should be two separate vacations into one, but I always try to make the most of what I can ;) And who knows when and if we will ever get back to that side of the world. Other suggestions on what we MUST do on the limited pre-cruise time?

Question is, what would I be missing by doing the 12 day vs. the 14 day cruises?

Other suggestions on what we MUST do on the limited pre-cruise time?

Can you give some idea of what the itineraries are?

Personally, I would always recommend a month in Sydney before or after the cruise ...

We did the 12 night Sapphire Princess cruise in Feb, it was great:) , everything was perfect. The difference in the itinerary for a 12 or 14 night cruise usually means ports of Napier and Wellington. Personally no big deal if you miss these ports.

As for 4-5 days in Aus. before hand...forget Kangaroo Island, you will loose a day each way travelling between Sydney and Kangaroo Isl. There is no direct flights, you would need to fly Sydney to Adelaide (about 2-1/2 hours flying time) then get a connecting flight to the Island. Besides there are much more exciting things to do Australia than Kangaroo Island (no offence to those that live there).

You must remember that Australia is about the same size as the USA geographically speaking, so travelling times between major cities is large.

Honestly you could easily spend your 4-5 days just in Sydney alone.

You need to do a bit of research on whats available to you and what you would like to do.

Here is a link to Sydney to get you started.

http://www.sydney.com.au/

Good luck with your travel plans, if you see something you would like more specific info. on let us know we'll see what we can help with.

Cheers

Mark

If you want to go in Jan. '08 you better book ASAP. Mercury is almost booked up for all the cruises. The pricey suites and verandahs were gone in the first month for my 1/20/08 cruise. It started booking last Oct. We booked an OV in Jan while on Mercury to the MR and there weren't a lot of OVs left either. The price on our cabin has gone up $330 since Jan. 30.

I don't know how fast the other lines are filling up their cruises, but probably at a similar rate.

I would go to Kangaroo Island if you have friends living there. The wildlife in that part of the world is amazing and I have met many U.S. citizens who have loved their time on that island. Also, it would be interesting for you to spend time on a working farm down under. It is harder to get there as you do need the two flights but then again they may link up and you may only lose a morning or afternoon each way.

It just depends on one's priorities. Sydney is a wonderful city and I would give it at least a couple of days before or after your cruise to see a few of the sights. If you aren't thinking of going to our far north whilst here, then spend the time visiting your friends.

On both the 14 and 12 day trips you do get to spend a day in our wonderful city of Melbourne, and I believe you get to see either Hobart or Burnie in Tasmania. Visiting three so different cities will give you an insight into the different ways that we live down here.

Jennie

Ohhh too much to see in too little time. Would love to spend a month down under, unfortunately, we wouldn't have jobs when we returned - lol.

So general conscenses is that Napier and Wellington are not that big of a deal to be missed if I can tack two more days onto seeing Australia?

Kathie - thanks for the heads up - I did actually call yesterday to book the 1/9 Sapphire - not positive that we will go yet, but was shocked that there was VERY limited space left - I only got an ocean view cabin vs. a balcony cabin that I am waitlisted on.

Aussie Gal - we love the wildlife and also thought it would be worth the trip to Kangaroo Island. The other thing we were thinking about doing is the penguin beach by Melbourne - is that worth an extra stop on the way back up to Sydney to see them? I realize the cruise does Melbourne as well, but don't think we could get the penguins in in that short stop, and would like to see Melborne too.

Wendy,

The fairy penguins are a wonderful sight to see but they are a long way from Melbourne. They are on Phillip Island and only come back to their burrows at sunset, so in February they would appear around 7.30pm. It is a good one and a hours trip down there and then there is the return journey back. It is a long way for a short visit if you are stretched for time.

Instead, when you are in Melbourne, there is a well kept secret that you can find penguins at our St. Kilda pier which is quite close to where the ship docks. Here is a link all about them.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=188

Of course you go there and not see them, whereas down on Philllip Island they are always present.

Jennie

Wendy,

If you research the possibility of seeing penguins, you'll find that most of the tours in both Australia & New Zealand are only during the evening. That doesn't work when on a cruise. However, I too wanted to see penguins so when we were in Dunedin we visited Penguin Place which has a very interesting tour. The parent penguins are out to sea during the day, so you won't see them. But the chicks (babies) are left behind on land and you will see some of them if you go to Penguin Place. We also went the beginning of January, 2007.

• 1 month later...

My DH & I want to go to Australia & NZ. We have no time constraints so when do you think is the best time of year to visit? Also we are deciding between cruising (friends did a Princess cruise and loved it) or doing a land tour. I know a cruise website is probably a bad place to ask about a land tour but what do you think? It seems like we would see a lot more on a land tour since the one I'm looking at spends 3 days in Cairns, 2 in Alice Springs, 1 at Ayers Rock, 3 in Melbourne, 3 in Sidney, 2 in Christchurch, 3 in Queenstown,1 in Rotorua, 2 in Auckland with an optional 2 night extension to Fiji. But we do love to cruise and my DH is not quite as fond of flying as I am and the land tour does a lot of flying.

Thanks for any advise/help/tips you can give me.

St. Louis Sal

If you have no time or $$$ constraints and want to do in-depth touring, then the land tour may be the best if you can talk your DH into all the flying.

We are doing the Jan. 20 Mercury Syd-Auk 14-night cruise. The ship doesn't sail until the day after boarding, 1/21 and we are coming in a day early, 1/19, so we will have the better part of 3 days there before we leave. We are staying 2 extra days in Aukland, leaving in the evening of the 2nd day so we will have the better part of 3 days there, too. We feel we should be able to hit most of the highlights and see plenty of wildlife wherever we go and that is fine for us. We really like the cruise experience and don't like the constant packing/unpacking of long land tours. On Mercury, which we sailed to the MR last Jan, we know we will have fabulous food, service and entertainment besides the sights. It's the best of both worlds for us.

I would have loved to book the 5-day land tour that goes along with this cruise, but the cost was way too much.

My best friend and I are booked, on the Sapphire Princess sailing out of Sydney on Jan 9 for 12 days.

I am Canadian she is from Sydney. It seems like a good cruise for us! How old are your kids? I would book soon, we booked a couple months ago already, and for the heck of it I was checking to see what travelocity was charging and they don't seem to have any cabins left for the January 9th cruise.

I promised my kids we would go to Australia when my youngest graduated HS. She is graduating in June so I am looking at a cruise the beginning of January - 8 of us going. Three ships are doing this itinerary - HAL - 14 day and Celebrity 14 day both doing NZ to Sydney; and Princess 12 day doing Sydney to NZ.

HELP - need pros and cons of the different cruises. I am really leaning toward the Princess 12 day and going out 4-5 days ahead of time to see a bit more of Australia. Question is, what would I be missing by doing the 12 day vs. the 14 day cruises?

My parents have friends on Kangaroo Island - they insist we should spend two days minimum there at their sheep ranch and touring the island. I know I am packing what should be two separate vacations into one, but I always try to make the most of what I can ;) And who knows when and if we will ever get back to that side of the world. Other suggestions on what we MUST do on the limited pre-cruise time?

Hum, That's a tuffie. However, if you are interested in the younger people in your party, you may want to consider Princess....If that is not of a major concern, HAL and Celebrity are both Great! Just know whatever you do, move soon...because many of the sailings are getting very full which mean availability may not be of your prime choice...

We are on the Princess 2/2 sailing.

PinkSuit

I have just this week booked the Sapphire Princess cruise out of Sydney on January 9th 2008 with my daughter who will be 18 next week. She is finishing high school this year too, so this is a special cruise just for her - she has 4 brothers who we will leave at home in Sydney. This cruise is strictly for the girls!!! It would be great to have some other older teens on board. It will be the summer school holidays here in Australia & New Zealand, so I expect there will be many families cruising with us.

As for where to go and what to do, the options are vast & varied, and all depend on the time available.

Albino Mosquito, I'll see you on the roll call.

St Louis Sal: (I'm not far from you, just over the river in Illinois :-)

We did the Syd-Akl last January on the Sapphire and it was fabulous! Have to consider as said the packing/unpacking; meals ready etc on a cruise versus all that traveling. Cruising just makes it all so easy and relaxing. But do not feel as if we see nearly as much when you only have a part of one day in a port. Did a lot of pre-planning. Had two nights in Sydney pre and would definitely recommend spending at least that much, even more. Sydney is a great place to visit.

There were not very many younger people on board last January, but there were some. Have to search them out! :-)

Debbie

• 4 weeks later...
Appreciate your insight especially on time of year. I will go look at the Sun Princess cruise. We actually like to travel in October as that is my husbands birthday.

Thanks again,

St. Louis Sal

We are booked for a HAL cruise in late Sept.2008 on the Volendam to New Zealand form Vancouver BC. We are now checking to see about spending sometime in Australia after our cruise. We live in Canada and thought we would try to see some of Australia. It seems to be a good time of the year to visit. Maybe this cruise might meet your needs for Oct.

Well - after much to-do, I have finally booked the Celebrity Mercury without the kids. In searching for the first sailing in January, I couldn't get airfare for less than $2500 from the east coast - and all FF miles were totally gone. TA ran a great deal that included airfare but for the second half of January - so this will be just the adults and all in all, this is more NZ than Australia. Kids will probably end up doing a semester abroad and we can visit them and do a land tour at that time :p So now will be looking at all the excursions to do on our own - lots and lots of planning!

• 3 weeks later...
If you have no time or $$$ constraints and want to do in-depth touring, then the land tour may be the best if you can talk your DH into all the flying.

We are doing the Jan. 20 Mercury Syd-Auk 14-night cruise. The ship doesn't sail until the day after boarding, 1/21 and we are coming in a day early, 1/19, so we will have the better part of 3 days there before we leave. We are staying 2 extra days in Aukland, leaving in the evening of the 2nd day so we will have the better part of 3 days there, too. We feel we should be able to hit most of the highlights and see plenty of wildlife wherever we go and that is fine for us. We really like the cruise experience and don't like the constant packing/unpacking of long land tours. On Mercury, which we sailed to the MR last Jan, we know we will have fabulous food, service and entertainment besides the sights. It's the best of both worlds for us.

I would have loved to book the 5-day land tour that goes along with this cruise, but the cost was way too much.

We are on the same Cruise and did book the 5 day Land Tour Arriving in Sydney on Tues Jan 15th / Wed 16th Fly to Ayers Rock / Thurs 17th Ayers Rock / Fri 18th Fly to Cairns / Sat 19th Cairns & Port Douglas (the great barrier reef) Sun 20th Fly back to Sydney to Board Ship / Mon 21st the ship is in Sydney all day

After the Cruise we spend one extra day in Auvkland and Fly home Mon February 4th in the evening 2008

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Wendy,

I'm not sure if your plans still include Kangaroo Island (personally I would recommend it) but if they do you could see the Fairy Penguins at Kingscote...definitely worthwhile!

Hi,

I noticed that alot of people booked their cruises in Jan and Feb, 2008 and wonder why?

I have booked my cruise on the Sapphire for 3-9-08. Flying into Auckland, nonstop from California and leaving from Sydney nonstop.

Is March not a good time to go to Australia...I know, I will be arriving into Sydney on Good friday and will be there during Easter Sunday. Was that a mistake to do since most shops will be closed?

J

Hi,

I noticed that alot of people booked their cruises in Jan and Feb, 2008 and wonder why?

J

Simple for me - first, I live in NJ and it is cold and miserable in January and Februay. What better thing to do than go someplace warmer for 2-3 weeks. Second, my kinds will be going back to school end of January, so will be leaving when they do.

We booked in Jan to get away from the yucky Ohio winter at least for a while. We started cruising in Jan. '02 and missed only one winter since then--winter of '06 because we took a European summer cruise instead. In '03 I was able to talk DH into doing an Alaska cruise/tour with our friends so that gave us two cruises that year. Last year right after we got home from our summer cruise, DH asked me to research MR cruises for this past winter because he missed winter cruising--go figure. If we book the Med for summer of '09 we might skip the winter again, but maybe I can talk him into a winter Carib. cruise. :)

I'm sure there are pros and cons to every month. From what I've read, March weather is not as hot.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

Archived