What gives first-time cruisers away?

Sourismom

We aren't first-timers but we always drink the daily special. And it's a safe bet that I'll be lost when getting off an elevator for the entire cruise.

D.

I agree... Its very easy to get off an elevator and become disoriented even for the seasoned cruiser!!! I get the hang of it after a while but by that time, the cruise is almost over LoL... I'm sure all those drink specials dont help the situation either ;)

Like many said, we all were first time cruisers! I recalled on my very first cruise that my mouth was in a big O when I saw the ship the very first time.

I also took alot of pictures of every nook and cranny on the ship and on shore.

I walked around oh and ahh around the ship.

If you do this, no problem!! There's no shame in being a nebwie!!!

Happy sailing!!

CRUISES

Fascination 2001

Alaskan State Ferry (back to back inside passage) Columbia 2002

Oosterdam 2004

Westerdam 2005

Miracle 2006

Maasdam 2007

Disney Wonder 2008 (summer)

Statendam 2008 (winter)

Like many said, we all were first time cruisers! I recalled on my very first cruise that my mouth was in a big O when I saw the ship the very first time. I also took alot of pictures of every nook and cranny on the ship and on shore. I walked around oh and ahh around the ship. If you do this, no problem!! There's no shame in being a nebwie!!! Happy sailing!!

Heck... I still do that :eek: and we have been on over a dozen different ships. :D

Another sure sign of a first time cruiser is one with a lot of luggage.

LOL! I brought 6 suitcases on our first cruise...1 for dh and the rest for me. :eek: Now that I am an "oldtimer" (hahaha), I try to bring only 4! :D

My first and only cruise so far was on our honeymoon two and a half years ago. It was a gift from my FIL and DH kept it a secret till the moment we got off the shuttle at Ft. Lauderdale. Silly me, was so much in luv that i didn't have a clue. When he told me this was where we too were getting off I was so surprised and so happy, when it was time to board I literally skipped onto the ship. I'm sure that gave me away :p !!! Although, I was 23 at the time which I guess made me look less like a fool??:rolleyes:

Have a great time

I must always look like a first time cruiser :)

I don't do the drink of the day, but I'm always lost and I always have a ships' map, even after multiple cruises on the same ship :rolleyes:

Me too. I'm sure I always look like a first time cruiser. I do occasionally have the drink of the day - if's it's something I'd enjoy anyway. I'm lost for at least the first few days, and I do gawk at the ship when I get off. (and "oh, look there's OUR stateroom!"):D

When it becomes run-of-the-mill and isn't just as exciting as the 1st time, we'll probably have to move on the another form of vacation, though I'm having a hard time imagining what!

Another sure sign of a first time cruiser is one with a lot of luggage.

This is NOT true! I always pack alot--I like having choices!!!! We are NOT 1st timers! It just means we are well-dressed!

I am not a newbie cruiser I have a few under my belt and my jaw still drops when I see and enter the ship. Sometimes I have to remind myself to close my mouth as it gapes open in wonder.

I don't drink really and I always buy one umbrella drink for the sail away. I may only drink a few sips and pass it on to DH but for me its part of my cruise experience.

I am also the one that wears a lanyard with her Sail and Sign card around her neck. I usually dont have pockets and it makes it easier for me to have it right there. Heck I even use it when I am in port just throw my ID in there and all I have to do is flash both sides to get back on the ship. Saves me from digging 5 mins in my tote bag for my card.

Luggage I'm getting better. I can pack for a week long cruise plus a couple of pre cruise and post cruise days in hotel in one suit case. The one thing I have learned is that if I am flying I bring a extra suitcase usually one with wheels to put in the stuff I buy on the trip rather than trying to cram it all in my big suitcase and risk being over weight. It also works great for the dirty clothes I have. I usually do laundry on the last sea day but have a couple of items left over. This way I know whats in the big case can be put away when I get home and the little case needs washed and goes directly to the laundry room.

Archived