Cruise/tour tipping ?

pkamison

I know that tips are $10 per day per person on board as a standard - What about land portion of a cruisetour/Alalska ?

Thanks

Paula

I believe the recommended tip on our Rockies Land Tour prior to the Alaskan cruise last year was $7.50 per day per person for the tour guide and $5 per day per person for the driver. Both our guide and driver were exceptionally good and we gave more, as did most people on the tour.

Have a great trip

Suron

Thank you. We tend to tip for service but the automatic tip on the bill seems to take the pressure off. As meals are not included on the land portion I was unsure of what to do. I have found in the past that Susan B Anthony dollars are always well recieved. This year we have the new Presidential dollar coins so I may get some of them to use as extra tips.

Thank you. We tend to tip for service but the automatic tip on the bill seems to take the pressure off. As meals are not included on the land portion I was unsure of what to do. I have found in the past that Susan B Anthony dollars are always well recieved. This year we have the new Presidential dollar coins so I may get some of them to use as extra tips.

While the staff may have told you "thanks" for the SBA's or the other new coins, they will turn them in on the ship and get "real" money for their tips. Most of the banks in the Philippines (for example) won't take the "new" money from the crew. The best thing to do is to tip in $20.00 increments (more or less) with paper money that the banks outside of the US recognize.

I've seen lots of posts about tipping with $2.00 bills or "strange" coins, and have been told by our Room Stewards that these are not accepted at their home banks.

Just tip like you're at home and everyone will be happy ..:)

Archived