How much do you take?

Breezybreeze

My Dh and I are having a big conversation about this. I am making a list (and checking it twice)LOL of things to take on our cruise. Since I have been doing my homework here on CC. I have learned some very important things that are musts on any cruise. He just wants a couple of bags and one carry on. While I can pack pretty good, I also want room for the things I find at our ports that I just can't live without:rolleyes: Anyway I mentioned that I'm sure if we packed at least 3 suitcases lightly then there would be room for stuff to bring home. How many do you pack?:o

Well since this will be my husband and my first "real" cruise....the other two were only cruises to nowhere, we will be taking 2 suitcases, a garment bag and a couple of carryons. We don't have to fly since we live in NY and our ship is leaving from there, so I don't have to worry about any sort of liquid restrictions or anything else like that. :D I am probably bringing way too many clothes and shoes but I like to have a choice. :p

How much? Too much! :D I've been cutting back every time we cruise, but usually end up with 3 different sized bags for the two of us plus a small rolling bag for my carryon items. I could never get it all in just two bags! Three maybe, but it would be tight.

We take one carry on sized luggage and one that is big enough we have to check it on wheels. We have one of those bags that you carry plus my knapsack for any overflow on the way home from what we buy.

That's it for the two of us. One bag each on wheels. The knapsack for our papers I have over my shoulder. The other bag like the kind you can buy in any port with the name of the port on it, we fold up into one of the suitcases and bring for emergencies going home. Like the big wooden bowl and the 2 lb rum cake plus the 6 small ones and all that other bulky stuff you want.

We have a few cokes in the bigger suitcase we check and as they are drunk on the cruise, that adds extra room going back plus my carry on sized suitcase is expandable.

Im not much of a clothes horse though huh?

The airline allowed us 2 checked bags each, so on the way we took three suitcases (and a small rolling carryon) but packe a large duffel bag that folds flat in one. On the way back we filled the duffel with dirty laundry and checked that as the fourth bag. Made room for the liquor we bought and kept us under the weight limit for checked bags.

We usually take one suitcase each full of clothes, then one suitcase for the two of us for our other essentials, so three total. Sometimes, if we're going into port a couple of days early, we may find that we need one regular suitcase and one smaller one for each of us. We're sailing on a 4 dayer in three weeks, I'm really, seriously going to try to keep it all in ONE suitcase each, that's it! I'm done packing a ton of extra stuff "just in case", especially clothes and shoes. I try to plan a bit better now, and lay out my outfits for the days, and bring shoes that match most of them. I find on the short cruises, especially, we spend ALOT of time in just our bathing suits and tshirts.

There have been clothes I've bought for cruises, and bring home with the tags still on. I'm determined to not do that anymore! Wish me luck, lol.

We take two large suitcases and two small ones.

Roughly worked out one suitcase of evening clothes (we dress for dinner every night - with formal or semi formal clothes). Another suitcase would have our casual port and ship board clothing.

We also have a small rollie suitcase that has our toiletries, hair dryer, hair spin brush, flat iron........

The other small rollie carries a few soft (and hard) drinks on the way there and trinkets of our travels on the way home.

By the way we have met our airline limit for quantity and or combined weight (not every airline will allow an overweight suitcase) every time.

Payd:)

We take one suitcase each, with an empty duffel bag packed in one for souveniers, a garment bag, and take the fanny pack & camera case as carry-ons. We pack light, 'cause we always seem to find more clothes to bring home:rolleyes: somewhere along the way.:D

We take one suitcase each, with an empty duffel bag packed in one for souveniers, a garment bag, and take the fanny pack & camera case as carry-ons. We pack light, 'cause we always seem to find more clothes to bring home:rolleyes: somewhere along the way.:D

We do the same...

We'll be taking four suitcases, two garment bags, two carry ons and two rolled up duffel type bags for extra room on the way home.

It seems like a lot, but there are six of us going to be gone for eight days and I don't like laundry at home, much less on vacation. Also, since it's to Alaska we need to take jeans instead of shorts (for excursions, Not dining ;)) and some sweaters/sweatshirts instead of tees. Those will take up more space.

As I type this I'm thinking it's a good thing we're taking two cars to the airport! :rolleyes: :D

Hubby takes extensive camera equip in a backpack as carry on, I take large pocketbook, and a small suitcase carry on. I also pack a small pocketbook in checked luggage so I dont have to lug around the big one all the time, Then we each have one large suitcase and one garment bag with our combined formal wear (also checked)

I carry all our documents in PB and hubby carrys copies in his BP. We have had to buy a collapsable duffle to bring home souvigners. So now I throw that same one in our checked luggage too, for the trip home. Have a fabulous cruise! I am sad I dont have one coming very soon. Maybe I can talk him into a short one while I wait for our Med one. :D

We each had a medium suitcase as we packed so we could self disembark. Well everything was fine until we arrived at the airport and our bags were over the allowed weight. I think this happens alot in Florida because there was a guy just waiting for people like us and it turned out that since our luggage weighed over it was only another $35.00 each to go 1st class so we did it.:)

On the way to our cruise we pack a medium sized suitcase inside of one of our large suitcases and we pack our garment bags inside of our large suitcases. If we need extra room for the return, we have the medium suitcase, and if we have too much weight in the large bags we take the garment bags out.

For the five of us, we bring 8 bags total. :o

:D Thanks all, for your replies. I am probably taking way too many things, but not too sure what all we need and what we don't. I do like the idea of the extra duffle bag for items to bring home. We won't be flying so that is not a problem. I guess I will know better on our next cruise. ;)

Happy Cruising:cool:

Archived