Ecstasy-Only Thread! Ask questions and post info. here!

pbeachbum

I also seem to remember a cage that you can hit golf balls into a net up in that area. That was 4 cruises again so I admit to being a little fuzzy. I think Iv seen ping pong on all the ships. Most kids that age love the Kids Activities so much you dont see them out and about unless they are in the arcade areas. I wanted to try the slide but never got to try it out. They shut it down every time it rained and when we were in port, which was 100% of the time when I was trying to get on it. The slide into the pool is manned at the top so they let that guy go into ports I guess and he doesnt have to stand out in the rain, so the slide never opened.

As you can see, we had the top deck where the pools are, pretty much to ourselves though. lol. I was just dissapointed they close the slide into the pool just because its raining or when they are in a port.

Its too bad we cant all go on the same cruise and meet though, wouldnt that be fun.

Sherry,

Hotels - They can run the gamut in Galveston, just like any other city. If you HAVE to stay on the Seawall expect to pay a premium for that. We have stayed at the Commodore & The Ramada Inn that is close to Steward beach. Would not personally recommend either one of those. We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn & Casa Del Mar (love this one but it can be pricey) There is a HO-JO that is real close to the pier, no water, that is not bad at all.

Dress - I may get flamed for this, but if Carnival stuck to the "dress code" half the dinning room would be empty. We are taking our 8 YO Grandson in August and he will be wearing slacks. But I have seen many people wear much worse than shorts in the dinning room and the staff said nary a word about it.

Roll Call - Most of the shorter cruise roll call boards don't do real well. Not really sure why, but that seems to be the case.

Ernie

I was not saying a child needed to dress to the 9s, just wear some long pants and do the least to follow the code at that age so they didnt stick out. Most kids dont want to stick out. I assumed most children had some long pants, not saying go out and buy a bunch of clothes for one cruise.

Have him take one pair of long pants to wear to dinner each night. He can wear them to the dining room and then after dinner he can hang them up and change into something else.

Someone else's dress has never bothered me one bit. I think little kids look cute in short sets!

I just supplied the FAQs from Carnival's website.

Hey fellow crusiers. I have a question about the back of the boat cabins, the ones a the very back of the boat, for example U226. Is there very much engine or water noise? We are thinking about a cruise in August and just looking at cabins that are still left to choose from.

Thanks for your help ;)

Are jeans (in colors other than traditional blue jean) acceptable in the dining room if you wear them with a nice shirt? (for women)

Carnival only specifically states NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. Casual resort wear is acceptable.

It does not mention jeans. That means that jeans are acceptable except on formal dining nights.

Actually, Carnival does say slacks which are not jeans.

I stand corrected...

They do specifically mention slacks as casual resort wear, but still do not list jeans as items that are not allowed on casual evenings.

I've heard this is a very good service from many people here although I've never personally used them.

If you're flying in the day before, I recommend Galveston Limo. Very reasonably priced and reliable, they also pick up and drop off at both airports, as well as pick up after the cruise at the port. Best thing is you can purchase round trip "tickets" when they pick you up and you won't have to worry when you disembark.

Flying in the day off, I'm sure carnival offers transfers.

Just a little FYI if your not familiar with Houston/Galveston, Hobby is closer to Galveston than IAH its approx. 45 mins to Galveston from Hobby (depends greatly on traffic though). Hotel wise, Hotel Galvez is my favorite,however it is pricey so we usually priceline a hotel in Houston (usually get a 3 star near the medical center area for $50) and drive down to Galveston the morning of our cruise. There's a target on the left side of the highway just as you cross onto the island for last minute purchases. If you have extra time and kids to occupy Moody Gardens is awesome! The Aquarium there is a must see!

As a Galveston local, if you drive into Galveston, once you're on the Causeway, get into the right lane. Take the first exit (1C, Harborside/Teichmann Rd.) and take a left under the freeway. You'll go over a couple sets of railroad tracks, continue on through the rather "industrial" area. You'll go up and over 51st St (light), once there, if you look ahead and a little off to your left, you'll see the ships. Continue straight. Find your parking somewhere between 36th St. and 25th St., or drop off your luggage at the pier and go park, and take the shuttle back. It's nuts outbound from about 9am-10:30am, but inbound is not bad at all. It'll save you time! FWIW, lettered streets run east-west, roughly, and numbered streets run north south. The port is on the north side of the island, from 36th St (that's industrial area) to 20th Street. Hope that helps! :)

Hey fellow crusiers. I have a question about the back of the boat cabins, the ones a the very back of the boat, for example U226. Is there very much engine or water noise? We are thinking about a cruise in August and just looking at cabins that are still left to choose from.

Thanks for your help ;)

We were three cabins from the aft on the lowest deck on a recent cruise and you get that little bit of vibration only when you are pulling into a port or out of it? I think those are the thrusters I read. Its not bad or for very long.

Im pretty unpicky about cabins though, I just like to cruise, so a little bit of ship noise doesnt bother me unless it goes on and on.

Well. after a trip to TRU, I got the 10 yo to Kohl's to find him some dress pants and I hit the jackpot. We found 3 pairs of "Chaps" pants marked down to 3.90 each!! So we now have him within the "dress code", lol! And did not break the bank on pants that will probably be worn on the cruise only.

Hotels--I am so tired of looking for a hotel, anybody live nearby with an extra room? You won't notice the 6 of us there, I promise:D After 9+ hours of driving, we will be ready to pass out! If I find something that is within the price range we are looking for then the reviews scare me away! I will check into the Howard Johnson that was mentioned. And no I don't have to stay on the Seawall, just noticed that was where majority of hotels were and I get leary of hotels that are out by themselves on side roads. Since I do not know anything about Galveston, I did not know what roads or parts of town to avoid. I have seen it mentioned to stay in Texas City, but not many of their hotels have favorable reviews. So there again....

Sherry

I will be packing my 8 & 10 yr old boys 2pr of docker style pants for the 5 night cruise. On formal night, we add a sportcoat and tie and they fit in just fine. On the other nights we reuse the cacky's and hope they don't spill anything on them.

onewildrice......where are you driving from? We drive from East Texas and it is 6 hrs. to the port. We drive 4 hours the day before and stay at the Comfort Inn in Huntsville on I-45. Get up the next morning, have breakfast and drive 2 hrs. to the port. Sure breaks up the trip for us.

Hi EastTexans,

I noticed we'll both be on the Ecstasy 9/15/08, I booked yesterday. Me, DH, & 2 DS will be driving from Missouri. DH & I cruised in Oct. 06 and absolutely loved it, so we wanted our DS 23 & 15 to check it out too.

Sharon

Sharon.....I'm so excited! I started a "roll call" and so far we are the only ones over there. Go check it out. Where do you live in Missouri? DH is from Independence and his sister and all of her family are still in the area.

I couldn't find the roll call, probably just me! We're from Springfield, MO which is in the SW part of MO, a little north of Branson.

It's going to be a long wait until 9/08, but if the time keeps going as fast as this year seems to have gone it will be here before we know it.

I am so glad I've got a cruise booked, it's so exciting!! The hard thing now is not to drive everyone around me crazy!

Sharon

We are coming from Fort Smith, Ar. There will be 6 of us, my family of 4 and a friend and her son. Since there are 3 adults to drive and we have the DVD players for the kids to watch, we are going to try to make it all in one day and get it over with.

I checked out the Howard Johnson that was mentioned earlier, but no pool. Deal Breaker for the kids with us. Can't seem to make them understand they will have a pool for the next 5 days. Hotel/Pool is one word to them.

[quote name='dcwms']Hi EastTexans,
I noticed we'll both be on the Ecstasy 9/15/08, I booked yesterday. Me, DH, & 2 DS will be driving from Missouri. DH & I cruised in Oct. 06 and absolutely loved it, so we wanted our DS 23 & 15 to check it out too.

Sharon[/quote]

Iv sure love to join you, but we have the Conquest booked 9/7/08, always seems like I wind up with overlapping cruises I want to do. OK well I guess we would get back the 15th, but thats still too much to commit to I meant.

question for you recent ecstacy cruisers!!! In the bathroom photos I have seen in some folks pics what looks like those dispensers in the shower with shampoo in them. Just wondering if it's shampoo in one and conditioner in the other of was the other one a body wash? my husband has really dry skin and he finds that body washes don't make his eczema bother him too bad. Them he might not have to pack his wash and just use the one on the ship? Thanks for your help!!!

:rolleyes: Is there a formal night on the 4 night cruise? What night is it? We have booked 12/6/07 for my "birthday" present and it has already gone up in price. For once I had good timing. We got a past passenger up grade to the Empress deck. Anyone else going on that date?

[quote name='randykaye']question for you recent ecstacy cruisers!!! In the bathroom photos I have seen in some folks pics what looks like those dispensers in the shower with shampoo in them. Just wondering if it's shampoo in one and conditioner in the other of was the other one a body wash? my husband has really dry skin and he finds that body washes don't make his eczema bother him too bad. Them he might not have to pack his wash and just use the one on the ship? Thanks for your help!!![/quote]

Shampoo/Conditioner combo and the other is body wash!

Archived