All Things Mariner Of The Seas

No I did not, but I am from VA.

Sorry, I am from Richmond as well and my sister went to ODU and had a roommate named Deneen from Richmond who is about your age.

Just hoping that it was one of those small world moments.

Thanks for the response just the same. And enjoy your cruise on the Mariner. My family is looking forward to it.

We just returned on our 7 night Eastern Caribbean on Mariner. We got to the port early enough where there was NO ONE in line to check in inside (there was a line outside waiting to get inside the port); they didn't open the doors until 11:30 or 12, but couldn't get into our stateroom until 1. Once the port opened its doors it went quickly. Do your Seapass on-line and that helps.

We were on the Mariner this time last year, as well, but we were able to go to CocoCay this time (weather prevented it last year and had to go to San Juan). I liked the cruise director and his assistants, more than last year. One issue I have is the singing and dancing shows were the same as a year ago (I would think they would change at least every year) and I thought the lead male singer was a little underwhelming, but the dancers were good and the "special" guest entertainers were pretty good.

This may have been said above (I didn't read all of the posts). If you haven't been on RCCL before they have an adult game show called "Quest", which is fun. The seating area for the ice rink is set up in different sections for teams, and each section has a male and female leader. The cruise director in the middle of the floor will ask for particular items and the team that produces it first gets points, etc. It is fun to watch, but it is adult oriented (i.e., at the end they usually have the male participants strip down to their underwear, put on a braw and high heels and walk down as if they were in a beauty contest).

They also have a entertainer named Simeon who works as a clown but also plays the piano in the piano bar. We got to know him fairly well in some of the trivia games, and it was fun watching him. Last week was his first week as such.

I hope you enjoy the Mariner. If you have any questions not answered in the multitude of posts above I'll be glad to try to answer them.

How common is it for Mariner to miss Coco Cay and if so I hadn't heard that it would be replaced by another stop! previous poster says they went to San Juan last year, has anyone done this? We are going 8/31 Eastern - Coco Cay, St Thomas & St Martin

How common is it for Mariner to miss Coco Cay and if so I hadn't heard that it would be replaced by another stop! previous poster says they went to San Juan last year, has anyone done this? We are going 8/31 Eastern - Coco Cay, St Thomas & St Martin

We almost missed CoCo Cay last month because of winds, but we ended up being able to go about 2 hours later. They are not able to substitute that port because of the time they need to have in order to get to St. Thomaas.

DH and I are taking our first cruise ever on the Mariner -- sailing July 13th :D

I am beyond excited about the trip and I love hearing all of the wonderful things being said about the Mariner!

We're doing a 7 day cruise and I'm trying to figure out which night would be best for dinner at Chops? We were thinking of doing it on Wednesday night, but I wanted to hear other's opinions.

I have never been on RCCL but after countless hours of research I am down to Wed is the night to go to chops. I have 16 pages in a word doc of research including all the menus. Wednesdays menu is very blah to me and it seems that is a popular night to go.

why in the world did you say you'd never cruise with RCCL?

and what made you change your mind?

puzzled,

Mary

We felt the same way. We are Princess Loyalist. But, after Princess decided to leave the Caribbean we felt we needed to try different lines. So we went on Carnival (valor) and had a great time, we are trying the mariner in two weeks and in Jan we are going on HAL.

Also, all the research I have done brings me down to one thing, RCCL and Princess seem more alike than different.

What is nice is we will be able to compare Caribbean Princess, Carnival Valor and RCCL Mariner in a couple of weeks because we would have sailed all three this year.

why in the world did you say you'd never cruise with RCCL?

and what made you change your mind?

puzzled,

Mary

We definitely aren't loyal to any cruise line, but RCCL has never appealed to us until recently. It was mostly because of bad word of mouth and the fact that we thought there would be way too many people on much too large of a ship for our tastes (our previous cruise on the Crown Princess helped clear that worry). We basically thought that an RCCL cruise would be a bigger Carnival cruise with smaller staterooms. But after reading these boards we decided to go for it, and I believe we will be very happy that we did...from what I've read the Mariner will be wonderful.

Thanks again to everyone.

We definitely aren't loyal to any cruise line, but RCCL has never appealed to us until recently. It was mostly because of bad word of mouth and the fact that we thought there would be way too many people on much too large of a ship for our tastes (our previous cruise on the Crown Princess helped clear that worry). We basically thought that an RCCL cruise would be a bigger Carnival cruise with smaller staterooms. But after reading these boards we decided to go for it, and I believe we will be very happy that we did...from what I've read the Mariner will be wonderful.

Thanks again to everyone.

NClprincess cruiser, Please come join our roll call. We are a great group and have a lot of fun things planned.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549238

Last year when we were diverted from CocoCay to San Juan it was extremely windy, thus the water was too rough for the tenders. I would think that would be fairly rare unless there is some tropical storm brewing.

I'm glad we made it to CocoCay this year. I took my 80 year old mother up parasailing; she loved it!

For first time RCCL cruiser, the Mariner is the best, as for the comment about Princess not cruising the caribean, I will have to check that out, because we were going to travel them again, if the price and ports were good since the Mariner is going to the west coast. Maybe will save us my pennies, dollars, thousands etc and sail on the Oasis. See all those on the July 13th sailing. I am the mother of the bride.

Does anyone have Eastern Cruise Compass/menus? I can not remember where I have seen them.

Thanks!

Jodi

I have copies of the compasses from the eastern caribean.

PM me with your email and I can email them to you . Probably early next week.

Don't have any menu's

:):)

I'm joining in on this thread a little bit late, but I couldn't resist! The Mariner is special to me because DH and I were married on her in December. It was my 2nd cruise, his first. I hope that someday we can sail on her again, but until then - we're really excited about our anniversary cruise on Majesty. :)

Thanks for the tip EBFURR...I never knew. We sail 6/29/08 on the Mariner and are taking our 20 year old son and one of the guys from his baseball team. If we can acquire these phones it would make life easier to get in contact with them. We rise early and they sleep in...

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so perhaps my question has already been answered. I am booked to cruise on the Mariner this November; have previously cruised on two other Voyageur class ships - Adventure and Voyageur. How is the Mariner different from the other voyageur class ships or so special that so many people speak so fondly of her?

Cathy

What's the best time of day to go to Johnny Rockets on the Mariner? I don't want to wait in line for too long.

Thanks for the tip EBFURR...I never knew. We sail 6/29/08 on the Mariner and are taking our 20 year old son and one of the guys from his baseball team. If we can acquire these phones it would make life easier to get in contact with them. We rise early and they sleep in...

Hi LG_CruiseDiva! We're on that sailing too. :) Come and join our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712569

Does anyone know what days are formal nights on the Mariner? This may have already been asked...and sorry if I am duplicating a request.

We are sailing on the Mariner for her inaugural voyage out of L.A. next February and will be having a wedding in Cabo San Lucas...so we are trying to determine when the formal nights are.

Thanks.

Char

For first time RCCL cruiser, the Mariner is the best, as for the comment about Princess not cruising the caribean, I will have to check that out, because we were going to travel them again, if the price and ports were good since the Mariner is going to the west coast. Maybe will save us my pennies, dollars, thousands etc and sail on the Oasis. See all those on the July 13th sailing. I am the mother of the bride.

Basically Princess has decided to leave the Caribbean from the third week in April to the start of Oct. We usually cruise in late April early may and Sept.

So that is what I mean about leaving the Caribbean.

but back to the Mariner 8 days and counting :D

Does anyone know what days are formal nights on the Mariner? This may have already been asked...and sorry if I am duplicating a request.

We are sailing on the Mariner for her inaugural voyage out of L.A. next February and will be having a wedding in Cabo San Lucas...so we are trying to determine when the formal nights are.

Thanks.

Char

I would think the formal nights would change depending on the itinerary? Since you are on the inaugural voyage, I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you.

Unless the Mariner is replacing another ship doing the same or very similar itinerary?

Hi everyone. I just want to say that the Mariner is a great ship. She was our first RCCL cruise and I loved her. Captain Johnny was great!

I agree with the poster that said the Mariner is a great ship for first time cruisers.

Archived