Cancelled Flight from Vancouver: Check schedules!!!!!!

Host Caroline

I check my flight times etc. every month till a month out and then every week... booked return from Vancouver last August... found out today that my one-stop return getting me home at 11:10pm. on disembark day had been changed to a THREE-plane change itin with 18 hour layover in Vegas getting us over 24 hours later! Fortunately was able to change to a "livable" schedule with only one stop. There has been a flight completely cancelled that departed Vancouver around 12:40..

Checking flights periodically is good practice BUT in this case if we had not checked it could have been the 2-day prior "confirmation" of flights that was first hint of this mess.

A word to the wise is sufficent?

And, when there is a significant airline-made change to an itinerary, passengers have the option of accepting it ... or, without paying any penalties and change fees, select more acceptable flights.

Exactly... forgot to point that out and thank you! BUT if you don't regularly check your flights (esp when booking far far out) you may have limited options for changing the flights. You should not have to pay any change fees, etc. for changes like this.

A similar thing happened to me last week! We had booked non-stop , R/T flights from Las Vegas to Vancouver and back, last year on America West--booked it on-line with them. The flights are in May and had America West prefixes.

In the intervening months, U S Air bought America West (or they merged) and last week I called US Air to confirm the flights. Of course, US Air had no such flight numbers any more and the representative informed me of the new flight nunbers AND the NEW itineraries: LAS to PHX to YVR and the same itinerary, only reverse on the come-back. Instead of a 2.75 hour journey each way, the time had increase to over 6 hrs each way--doubled the travel time. They had not notified us at all even though they had my email address.

I started some research and found non-stop Air Canada flights for about the same price, so I called US Air and they cancelled our flights with them with a full refund, no hassles, to their credit. So now we are booked with Air Canada, and even though the flight up leaves at O-dark-thirty in the morning, at least we will have most of the arrival day to sightsee around one of most favorite cities, Vancouver! :)

Archived