Has anyone cruised to Europe on HAL Veendam

cruisingeurope

To my understanding, it's been many years since the Veendam has been in Europe - she's normally in Alaska during the summer. However, I'm sure there are many people on this board who have sailed the Baltics on HAL who can help.

We are sailing to Europe on the Veendam in June. Has anyone been on the Veendam with that itenerary? If so, do you have any comments or recommendations? Thanks!
You're not sailing to Europe on the Veendam in June ... because she's already there! :D (She leaves Venice for the first cruise of the season this Sun, the 29th.)

She's a fine ship. Are you doing the Venice-to-Copenhagen June 8, or that plus the Baltic capitals, or just the Baltic on Jun 28? We loved the Baltic ports, especially Tallinn Estonia.

We sailed Europe on her sister ship, Statendam, and had a fantastic cruise. Veendam is a beautiful ship. We've sailed her a number of times (though not in Europe) and are booked to sail her 14 days in November.

Have a great cruise.

We are sailing on the Veendam May 9 out of Venice. The only other HAL ship I have sailed on is the Nieuw Amsterdam some years ago. I loved it, and am willing to turn myself over to HAL no questions asked! LOL . I will post here after my return and let you know how wonderful it was.

I was on the 4/1 Veendam repositioning cruise to Europe. I did a brief review on this board last Friday and Saturday. We visited the ports of Ponta Delgado, Cadiz, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Civitavecchia (Rome), Dubrovnik, and ended in Venice. This was our 8th HAL cruise. We very much enjoyed both the Veendam and the cruise. Do you have any particular questions?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=540592

I was on the 4/1 Veendam repositioning cruise to Europe.

Yes, that was a wonderful cruise, wasn't it?

Veendam is a beautiful ship that is perfect for sailing to these exotic faraway ports. Of course, it's not perfect. Is any ship perfect? But the 18 days we spent on her last month will remain among my fondest experiences thus far in life.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Can someone suggest a place on the Veendam for CC folks to meet up if there are not enough of us to have a ship sponsored CC party?

Also, is juice free on HAL ships, specifically orange juice and lemonade. One of the reasons I quite sailing on RCCL is because they would only serve "juice drinks" which amounts to nothing more than papaya flavored kool-aid.

There were not a whole lot of us on the 4/1 Veendam and we had a CC meeting set up with the ship. However, if you do it on your own you might try the Crows Nest. Check with your roll call as to the best meeting time.

There is juice at breakfast. It isn't out at other times, but may be available if you ask.

Can someone suggest a place on the Veendam for CC folks to meet up if there are not enough of us to have a ship sponsored CC party?
HAL never "sponsors" meet-and-greets to my knowledge. On the Veendam for our group of 20 or so, one of the early posters on the Roll Call took the initiative to contact HAL and they provided coffee/tea/water and cookies in the Piano Bar on the afternoon of the first sea day.

I don't recommend the Piano Bar for a "meet & greet" on an S-class ship. The design of the room doesn't make for a good "flow" of people or conversation, and it tends to the dark side (no, not that "Dark Side"!:eek: ).

Depending on the number of people you're expecting you could ask that a section of the Crow's Nest be reserved, or even a portion of the Explorers Lounge.

HAL never "sponsors" meet-and-greets to my knowledge. On the Veendam for our group of 20 or so, one of the early posters on the Roll Call took the initiative to contact HAL and they provided coffee/tea/water and cookies in the Piano Bar on the afternoon of the first sea day.

your information is incorrect. Sailed on the Zuiderdam this April and HAL sponsored a wonderful CC Meet and Greet. We had champagne, Mimosas, Bloody Marys, punch, hot and cold appetizers. The Hotel Manager attended and was gracious. I've arranged a number of Meet and Greets...and must admit, it's the Hotel Manager that makes the difference on what you get. He was well aware of the CC Boards and appreciated passenger feedback. HAL could use more like him!

I was on the 4/1 Veendam repositioning cruise to Europe. I did a brief review on this board last Friday and Saturday. We visited the ports of Ponta Delgado, Cadiz, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Civitavecchia (Rome), Dubrovnik, and ended in Venice. This was our 8th HAL cruise. We very much enjoyed both the Veendam and the cruise. Do you have any particular questions?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=540592

Thanks for the informative review, Jemima! What did you do at the port in Monte Carlo? Ship Tour? Private? On your own? How far is it from where the tender drops you off to the main part of Monaco? Thanks for any information as this is our first Mediterranean cruise and we are still figuring out what to do and see! How about what you did in Rome and Dubrovnik? Sorry for being so nosy but I don't know any other way to get to know 'stuff'! :)

your information is incorrect. Sailed on the Zuiderdam this April and HAL sponsored a wonderful CC Meet and Greet.

Perhaps it's a matter of symantics. HAL doesn't "sponsor" a meet & greet so much as it's "supportive" of one. HAL doesn't set up the time/place of the meeting; it's up to the folks on the roll-call board to initiate the action.

When that has been done HAL will participate to varying degrees.

Perhaps it's a matter of symantics. HAL doesn't "sponsor" a meet & greet so much as it's "supportive" of one. HAL doesn't set up the time/place of the meeting; it's up to the folks on the roll-call board to initiate the action. When that has been done HAL will participate to varying degrees.

Well, our roll call is pretty small-maybe five or six people so far-so I'm wondering whether Hal would bother to "support" such a small group.

Well, our roll call is pretty small-maybe five or six people so far-so I'm wondering whether Hal would bother to "support" such a small group.

No, probably not, but your roll call group could always arrange to meet onboard, perhaps at the sailaway party or in the Lido, and have an informal get-together. The best feature, to me, of the roll calls is providing us with an opportunity to meet a few of our fellow cruisers prior to boarding. That way, once you're on the ship there will be some friendly faces onboard with whom to spend a little social time.:)

Exactly, Karin. The original purpose of the meet & greet was for CC members to meet each other. It's only in more recent times that ship staff has attended, or refreshments set out.

Not that having staff or goodies is a bad thing, but I always thought the idea was for those of us who have met on the boards to meet in person.

Exactly, Karin. The original purpose of the meet & greet was for CC members to meet each other. It's only in more recent times that ship staff has attended, or refreshments set out.

Not that having staff or goodies is a bad thing, but I always thought the idea was for those of us who have met on the boards to meet in person.

Which leads me back to my original post: Where would be a good place on the Veendam to meet with such a small group. I think the sail away party is not a good idea because how would we recognize each other amongst all the other party people. And please do not start with the blue leis :-)

Which leads me back to my original post: Where would be a good place on the Veendam to meet with such a small group.

I made two suggestions in post # 15 (I think; I lost count :o ).

I said that IMHO the Piano Bar is not a good idea. I would request a section of the Crow's Nest be cordoned off, or use a section of the Explorers Lounge.

I made two suggestions in post # 15 (I think; I lost count :o ).

I said that IMHO the Piano Bar is not a good idea. I would request a section of the Crow's Nest be cordoned off, or use a section of the Explorers Lounge.

Hey Thanks Ruth. Not ever having been on an HAL ship before, I feel at a big disadvantage. For example the "Explorer's Lounge" on RCL's Voyager class ships would be a terrible place to meet. But then, that's one of the many reasons I won't cruise on RCL anymore.

Archived