from a brand new cruise critic...

LadyFurn

This is my first attempt at a thread so please excuse any mistakes... We are sailing on the Westerdam 12/16 and I was wondering if anyone knows when we will be able to book the shore excursions online. So far it seems to be closed because it is too early(?). We are especially interested in a cabana in Half Moon Cay. Are there any good cabana stories out there? What is your favorite color and why? I am so excited to put out this thread! Hello to everyone! Cindy:)

Hi Cindy...... I can't help you with which cabana as it has been a long time since we took one but want to welcome you to HAL CC.

Pull up a deck chair and hang around. Nice to meet 'cha.

Lady Furn, Cindy, just keep checking. It is a little bit early to book a cabana for your December cruise. For our yellow cabana on HMC in December last year, I booked in June. The yellow cabana is a ways down the beach, but we liked the privacy and fewer people. We also purchased the butler package. Now, some people really like the cabanas (me) and some people think it's a waste of money:eek:. We had a terrific day on Half Moon Cay!:)

Karin

Cindy,

Welcome! I am also a relative newbie, joining only about 6 weeks ago. Since then, I've posted more than 120 posts, which marks me as an inveterate communicator (translation: I have a big mouth). :D

You will meet many friendly people here, with collective knowledge and experience to help you. Unfortunately, I have neither with Half Moon Cay cabanas. But, there is a "search" button at the top of the HAL forum. I just entered "Half Moon Cay cabanas" and got several returns. I'm not talented enough to copy the threads to this post, but if you do the same, you should get a lot of info. It seems the tourquoise one has the most interest.

I've noticed the same problem about booking excursions on line, but I thought it was because my next cruise is still several months away. I had no problems with our Feb/March cruises. I know HAL's website just changed the way it does searches for cruises, so it may be a computer web techie update thing, and they will get around to updating the excursions soon. I hope.

Again, welcome, and see you on the fora and threads!

Dave

Wow! You people are fast! We will try the 800 number and see what they say. I will let you know if I find out anything worthwhile. Thanks for the warm welcome!

You're welcome, Lady Furn, Cindy:) For a bunch of super-annuated old fogies fit for a retirement home, we do get around ;) ! Thanks for keeping us posted; when we can't cruise, we live through those who do!!

Karin

There are some great posts on cabanas on this board. If you do a search you'll find pix and maps. We had the turquoise and loved the location. The cabanas down the beach are more private, but require more walking. I think the cabana is worth every penny!!! Great day!!! Good luck getting a cabana.

Welcome to CC!!!

My girlfriend and I splurged on a cabana on our recent Zuiderdam cruise and it was fabulous! We were in the Sky Blue cabana which is in the first group of 5 cabanas (I'm guessing on the color names): beige/taupe, dark blue, turquoise, coral/red, and sky blue.

Even though the cabana was a luxury for us, and we opted not to spend the extra $270 for the butler (but met others who did and raved about it), I would do it again in a heartbeat. (In fact, I'm at this very moment trying to convince my hubby we should go back to HMC for a vow renewal for our 10th anniversary coming up in 2 years - there is the cutest little chapel/church there.)

As for the Sky Blue cabana, we really felt it was one of the best cabana choices. It was private and off the beaten path (but still close to everything); we never felt the beach was very crowded - in fact, it gave us a chance to meet others from the cruise who were camped out in clamshells nearby. The only time we had to leave our cabana was to use the bathroom or go swimming - other than that, our "cabana guys" (the fabulous Ron and Ryan!) brought us all our drinks and food. It was also nice to have shade, and we even used the a/c for part of the afternoon. Oh, the misters were nice, too!

Here's a link to some of my HMC pics - I will have more to add when my girlfriend e-mails me her photos. I haven't had time to do labels/descriptions yet, so if you have questions about specific pics just ask me. I took a TON of cabana pics, so there should be one of just about every cabana (except Grand Cabana - I never made it that far down the beach). ;)

Hopefully this link works:

http://preview.*****.com/2ry3sf

Welcome to the Cruise Critic message board. Let us know what you think of your cruise when the time comes. I have found these two things addictive. They are (1) this board

(2) taking Holland America cruises

You can also find some information about cabanas, and other aspects of Half Moon Cay, in the "Private Islands" board under the "Ports of Call" category. Unfortunately HMC does not have its own separate board ("Private Islands" is shared by HMC, Princess Cays, Labadie, etc.), so you have to search around a bit, but the info is there. Enjoy!

Welcome!

If my rememberer is working correctly cabanas are available at the 6 month prior date, so June somethingth for you. I think most excursions follow this rule, but if you discover differently when you call them, post the factoid here and you will have added to the collective knowledge.

Have a great cruise!

Mark

My girlfriend and I splurged on a cabana on our recent Zuiderdam cruise and it was fabulous! We were in the Sky Blue cabana which is in the first group of 5 cabanas (I'm guessing on the color names): beige/taupe, dark blue, turquoise, coral/red, and sky blue.

Hi, Jennifer!

I loved your pictures of the cabanas. My daughter, purplenorway, is especially fond of the purple cabana. Glad you enjoyed your stay at half moon cay! At first, when you said you enjoyed the misters, I thought you were talking about your fabulous cabana boys!:p

Cindy

Yes, Lady Furn can call HAL's ship services at 1 800 541 1576, M-F, and get the scoop on the cabanas that way, too.

Hello...Just a quick update that we have a call in to hal but the recording says they are 2-3 days behind in answering their messages. We'll see if they get back to us. Thanks for all the replies! Cindy

Here is the number I have used to reach Shore Excursions direct:

(888) 425-9376

You might give it a try.

Bob

Lady Furn:

Eeek, I goofed!:eek:

Bob is absolutely right, and I gave you the wrong information. To get info and reserve a cabana, you DO have to go through the shore excursion department at the number which Bob gave us above. Very sorry for the misinformation. I shouldn't try to run a house and organize a family at the same time I'm posting to CC:rolleyes:. I'm not nimble enough. BTW, I loved your daughter's (PurpleNorway) review of your Oosterdam cruise!

Karin

ps Thanks, Bob, for setting me straight :-)

• 2 weeks later...

P-s-s-s-t...Great news! I just booked us the purple cabana so the shore excursions are now open for half moon cay in december on the Westerdam! Not all excursions are open for the other ports but at least we got our cabana. Happy day! Cindy

P-s-s-s-t...Great news! I just booked us the purple cabana so the shore excursions are now open for half moon cay in december on the Westerdam! Not all excursions are open for the other ports but at least we got our cabana. Happy day! Cindy

Cindy, thanks for letting us know the happy outcome! You won't be sorry you got a cabana!:)

Karin

Archived