Cobh to centre of Cork

kernow

We are doing a 3 day short cruise to Cork on Navigator of the Seas in June. We are planning to go into Cork and look around on our own but what is the best way to get there? Does anyone know if the ship is likely to run a shuttle bus? If not how much is a taxi likely to cost. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Julie

We just got home from the Navigator transatlantic and there is a train from Cobh to Cork. We did not take it, but folks at our table did and said it was very convenient. Don't know how often it runs or how much it is, but it is available.

We are doing a 3 day short cruise to Cork on Navigator of the Seas in June. We are planning to go into Cork and look around on our own but what is the best way to get there? Does anyone know if the ship is likely to run a shuttle bus? If not how much is a taxi likely to cost. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Julie

I googled your 3day cruise to cork and discovered that your ship doesn't arrive til 2PM on day 2 and leaves at 8AM the next day. I was disappointed, I misunderstood and thought that the ship was in port 3 days.

Just finished a 12 day trans Atlantic on Jewel of the Seas and the ship provided a shuttle bus to Cork From Cobh for a fee of $5.00 US each way per person. In my estimation it was a good deal because it was about a 20-25 minute ride.

On our Navigator transatlantic there was not a shuttle bus but the train runs right from Cobh quayside to Kent Station about 5-10 minutes walk from the centre of Cork. It cost 5.25 earos each return. There is a schedule on the Irish Rail website but they laid on extra trains because of the ship. The trains were packed but ran on time and it took about 25 minutes each way. Cork is nothing special really - Cobh itself is quite a pretty seaside town and I am sure you will have time to see a little of both.

Ditto above, Cobh is supposed to be very quaint, although I would recommend the English market in Cork itself.:)

I'll be there too! (be the one in the white dress - getting married that Saturday morning:eek: )

Thanks for all the info. If there's no shuttle bus it sounds like the train will be a good idea.

Twix'n'Wispa are you getting married on the ship? We'll look out for you.

Julie

I was on the same 12 day transatlantic as Jakedoc and I would definitely recommend walking around Cobh. We had bad weather, but still enjoyed it (and a few pints of the local stout in an Irish pub). You can do a tour from the Commodore hotel called the "Titanic Trail" or for 7 Euros you can pick up a tour booklet and do it yourself. Which is what we did and now we have the booklet as a souvenir. If you have letters to mail, the old White Star line offices (where the Titanic tenders left from) are now the post office and it cost 78 cents (Euros) to mail letters back to the US and they were there in less than 4 days in some cases.

Thanks for all the info. If there's no shuttle bus it sounds like the train will be a good idea.

Twix'n'Wispa are you getting married on the ship? We'll look out for you.

Julie

Hi Julie

We're getting married in the registry office then hopping on board! I'll be the gal in the white frock ;) (hee hee!)

Archived