what do you guys think of Norweigen majesty?

momofmeg

I found yesterday that the Majesty will be doing a few cruises to Bermuda from Charleston in late spring/early summer of 08. We loved Bermuda and want to go back and as we live in the south, we find it very appealing to take a cruise from Charleston, no flying!

I know the ship is old but I have been on old ships before, Carnival Tropicale, Pacific Princess (the Love Boat one-not the one now), and Celebrity Zenith. I enjoyed these cruises and was not bothered that the ships were old.

I have heard bad things about the Majesty-so I figured I would ask here, since the other old ships did not bother me-do you think I will be happy with the Majesty or should I fly into NY and take another ship?

Also I haven't cruised on NCL before and I was wondering since this is an older, smaller ship, does it have Traditionial dinning or personal choice dinning? thanks.

For Value and Convenience it was great ! (to leave from Charleston)

Our itinerary though was Western Carib. Our cruise was quite adventurous! 1 port cancelled, top decks closed x 3 days, rain 1 day. Very Rough Seas, although this was more due to weather than an "old" ship.

I don't think we'll be doing the very small, very old ships spending that much time in the Atlantic !! It seemed to move real SLOW !

April 08 out of MIAMI !!

NCL is pure FREESTYLE ! EAT whenever you want ! We had read about lines and wait times but we never had this problem!

I'm sure you'll enjoy!

I have a full review in the member review section.

The Majesty is an older ship. It only has two main restaurants and there can be a 15 to 20 minute wait sometimes. Sometimes you will be seated right away. The ship has freestyle dining even though it wasn't built for it. If your purpose is to see Bermuda and the ship is just a hotel and meals, you'll be fine. The Majesty does have it's good points. The staff is second to none. Everybody knows each other, its like sailing on an friend's really big yacht.

The Majesty is an older ship. It only has two main restaurants and there can be a 15 to 20 minute wait sometimes. Sometimes you will be seated right away. The ship has freestyle dining even though it wasn't built for it. If your purpose is to see Bermuda and the ship is just a hotel and meals, you'll be fine. The Majesty does have it's good points. The staff is second to none. Everybody knows each other, its like sailing on an friend's really big yacht.

As I said, I don't mind older and we like to eat early (unless in port ofcourse and we may eat off ship anyway some) so meals will not be a problem.

We were in Charleston SC over New years and saw her. We met two men that had been on her the week before and said she was miserable without air, I guess the air was turned off as she limped back to Charleston- to get her back there-when we saw her-she was docked in Charleston having repairs. But, things like that can't be predicted and even new ships have things go wrong at times.

Well I have e-mailed my TA for prices as none have been listed-so if the prices are decent she will be a go for us!

Momofmeg - I saw the Bermuda itineraries out of Charleston and am pretty tempted by them, too! I did the W. Caribbean on the Majesty last year, out of Charleston. My DH and I were very satisfied with the cruise. We liked the fact that the ship was smaller - that's fewer people, less getting lost, easier to tender out, etc.

As for the freestyle dining, we walked right up and were seated immediately for every night except one. But we're early diners, usually arriving a little before 6:00 worked out fine. We had plenty of time for a nice meal, then off to the 7 or 7:30 shows.

We're definitely going to the do the Majesty another time... just trying to decide Bermuda vs. a second pass at the Western Caribbean.... hmmmmmmm.... decisions, decisions.

Deb

Momofmeg - I saw the Bermuda itineraries out of Charleston and am pretty tempted by them, too! I did the W. Caribbean on the Majesty last year, out of Charleston. My DH and I were very satisfied with the cruise. We liked the fact that the ship was smaller - that's fewer people, less getting lost, easier to tender out, etc.

As for the freestyle dining, we walked right up and were seated immediately for every night except one. But we're early diners, usually arriving a little before 6:00 worked out fine. We had plenty of time for a nice meal, then off to the 7 or 7:30 shows.

We're definitely going to the do the Majesty another time... just trying to decide Bermuda vs. a second pass at the Western Caribbean.... hmmmmmmm.... decisions, decisions.

Deb

well I will do fine then! I like the idea of the specialty restuarant serving half price meals if you dine early also! I will be there!

I am glad that you have so many replies b/c we are going to book this cruise for next July 2008 out of Baltimore. One huge factor for is that we have five kids and this port is about 45 minutes from where we live on the Eastern SHore. We are currently booked on Carnival for next summer, but we were really dreading the two day drive there and back was not sounding at all fun!!

My concern was how small the ship is and the activities availabe for our kids.

The interniary for Charleston is up on NCL......

From all that I have read this ship is old, but the crew is wonderful....you get so many opinions on the food...I hear Bermuda is beautiful....so hopefully the small ship wont be a concern.

Take care,

Sandi

DH and I both loved the Majesty and the wonderful crew and staff, and it's so nice not to have to fly to the port. Hope you enjoy your trip if you decide to go.

Jackie

I loved looking at your pictures of the majesty. Can I just say that your room looked amazing!!

THanks!!

Sandi

We don't have kids, but the kids we saw were having a great time. The beaches in Bermuda are beautiful and there is a lot to do and see. We went from Boston in June and we had very smooth sailing. Flying with 5 kids can get pretty expensive, and I wouldn't look forward to the 2 day drive either.

We thought the food was very good on the Majesty also. The kids will love Piazza San Marco, aft on the pool deck. They have pizza, burgers, hot dogs, salads, fruit and sometimes steak and other goodies. Great place for a quick lunch or snack. They also made crepes and waffles to order for breakfast at one of the poolside stations.

There are menus and pics in my webshots link below in my signature.

Jackie

I loved looking at your pictures of the majesty. Can I just say that your room looked amazing!!

THanks!!

Sandi

Sandi,

Glad you liked the pictures. I didn't post all of them since I tend to take too many. :D

The room was great and I got it for a great price. It was $400 less per person than they wanted for the AB's. I'm not sure why!!!

We really did have a great time and met some very nice people. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jackie

We don't have kids, but the kids we saw were having a great time. The beaches in Bermuda are beautiful and there is a lot to do and see. We went from Boston in June and we had very smooth sailing. Flying with 5 kids can get pretty expensive, and I wouldn't look forward to the 2 day drive either.

We thought the food was very good on the Majesty also. The kids will love Piazza San Marco, aft on the pool deck. They have pizza, burgers, hot dogs, salads, fruit and sometimes steak and other goodies. Great place for a quick lunch or snack. They also made crepes and waffles to order for breakfast at one of the poolside stations.

There are menus and pics in my webshots link below in my signature.

Jackie

Thank you so much for that information! Our daughter was looking forward to swimming with the dolphins.....trying find a good replacement for that!! :(! I really like the idea of sailing down the chesapeake since that is where we live...and all the pictures that I have seen of Bermuda, they are beautiful!!

Thanks!

Sandi

I am glad that you have so many replies b/c we are going to book this cruise for next July 2008 out of Baltimore. One huge factor for is that we have five kids and this port is about 45 minutes from where we live on the Eastern SHore. We are currently booked on Carnival for next summer, but we were really dreading the two day drive there and back was not sounding at all fun!!

My concern was how small the ship is and the activities availabe for our kids.

The interniary for Charleston is up on NCL......

From all that I have read this ship is old, but the crew is wonderful....you get so many opinions on the food...I hear Bermuda is beautiful....so hopefully the small ship wont be a concern.

Take care,

Sandi

How old are you kids and have they cruised before??? If you have older kids just make sure they know there is no basketball court and the arcade is a joke. You will be spending most of your time off the ship so it's not a big problem just make sure they know what to expect and they'll be fine. My kids love the Dawn but say their best cruise was on the Majesty.

Sandi,

Glad you liked the pictures. I didn't post all of them since I tend to take too many. :D

The room was great and I got it for a great price. It was $400 less per person than they wanted for the AB's. I'm not sure why!!!

We really did have a great time and met some very nice people. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

FUnny you would say that about the pictures....I was thinking to myself, how did they only take 24?? When my husband and I went on our first cruise last year to Alaska I think we took like 200....gotta love the digital cameras! I have no idea what type of rooms we will do....since it is with kids it will be the economical rooms, currently on Carnival I have and OV and the inside room across the hall...we will probably do something like that agian.

Or if we hit the lottery we will book the one that holds 7 people for a mere $35K!!

Sorry to keep asking quesitons on someone else's thread!!

Thank you!!

Sandi

How old are you kids and have they cruised before??? If you have older kids just make sure they know there is no basketball court and the arcade is a joke. You will be spending most of your time off the ship so it's not a big problem just make sure they know what to expect and they'll be fine. My kids love the Dawn but say their best cruise was on the Majesty.

Hi,

they have never been on a cruise before...so their opinions aren't tainted yet! They will be 15, 13, 11, 6 and 3 at the time. I tend to think they will have fun. I am excited!! I know there are bigger ships with way more to do, but for the mere convience of this...it will be great.

thanks

sandi

You're welcome. Have you looked at Bermuda in the Ports of Call section yet? I'm sure you will find a lot of info there, especially things to do with kids.

I just did a search and they do have a Dolphin Quest in Bermuda.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_dolphin_quest.html

Found this also.... I believe it is the same as the link above.

For Bermuda check out http://www.dolphinquest.org. The Dolphin experiences here are located at the Southhampton Princess and 30 minutes here will cost $75/person, and the minimum age is 10. The "Encounter" here is $50/person. This same company offers Dolphin experiences at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Oahu, Hawaii.

Hi,

they have never been on a cruise before...so their opinions aren't tainted yet! They will be 15, 13, 11, 6 and 3 at the time. I tend to think they will have fun. I am excited!! I know there are bigger ships with way more to do, but for the mere convience of this...it will be great.

thanks

sandi

I think they will have a ball. Boy, you sure must be busy with that gang. ;)

The smallest rooms are 108 sq. ft. Don't have them put the beds together if you get those rooms. You will have to climb over the bed to get out.

Hi Smellytoes!

Are you ready for another cruise yet!!! :D

Glad you had such a good time on the Dawn, but sorry to hear about your internet bill. :eek:

Jackie

I love St George- did Zenith last summer -- the entrance is amazing. But we absolutely hated the Zenith. Is the Majesty as dumpy? If so, we'll pass-- even though we desparately love cruising from Baltimore.

We love the Majesty....I have been on it twice from Boston to Bermuda and stayed in CAt CC and Cat AB. Treated like a queen on both trips....Excellent staff....They remembered us from the first cruise.....Relaxing atmosphere!

I was pg the first time and the second time we brought our daughter who was 8 months old at the time......

I have been on big, small, brand new and old on all different lines and the Majesty was just a very positive experience for us.....

I'm thinking I need to sail some of these smaller older ships before they all leave the fleet! Although not smaller, we were making plans for the Norway and were about to book when I heard about the explosion. I really regret not sailing that ship b4 she was knocked out of commission!

We are sailing this summer on a little 2 night getaway to the Bahamas on a really small-old ship with another cruise line which I won't mention because you would all laugh and point at me ;)

-Monte

You're welcome. Have you looked at Bermuda in the Ports of Call section yet? I'm sure you will find a lot of info there, especially things to do with kids.

I just did a search and they do have a Dolphin Quest in Bermuda.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_dolphin_quest.html

Found this also.... I believe it is the same as the link above.

For Bermuda check out www.dolphinquest.org. The Dolphin experiences here are located at the Southhampton Princess and 30 minutes here will cost $75/person, and the minimum age is 10. The "Encounter" here is $50/person. This same company offers Dolphin experiences at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Oahu, Hawaii.

You might want to see this thread in the Bermuda forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=541703

Has some opinions on the dolphin quest in Bermuda.

Hi Smellytoes!

Are you ready for another cruise yet!!! :D

Glad you had such a good time on the Dawn, but sorry to hear about your internet bill. :eek:

Jackie

I'm very ready for another one. I have a call in to my TA. Apparently the Gem will repo to Europe during my kids spring break next year. It looks interesting. I put a deposit down on the ship and I HAVE to book something:D .

btw, that bill wasn't just his internet usage. We booked shore excusions through the ship in almost every port. We never do that so that added quite a bit to the total. But still 5,000 was quite a shock.

Oh, tell us Monte!!! We won't laugh at you.... :)

We sailed on the MTS Jason, Epirotiki Line on our honeymoon and had a great time. My parents, aunt and uncle and cousins were all allowed to board with us until we sailed. It was very small, it was really cold and rained most of the trip, but we had a great time. We left out of Gloucester, MA and wet up through the Maritimes and Saint-Pierre & Miquelon. I prefer tropical destinations, but the cruise was free... :D

http://www.nwdir.com/csc/jason.htm

Oh, tell us Monte!!! We won't laugh at you.... :)

OK but if you laugh, I'm not posting anymore ;)

Regal Empress-Imperial Majesty Line (when you only have one ship why make the lines name different that the ships name).

We're going to be in Florida anyway and this "cruise" for 2 cost us only $118 ($59 each), people say the service and food are good and we actually enjoy Nassau, so I figured "why not". I saw some pictures of the ship docked next to an RCCL ship, the Empress looks like a tender for the other ship LOL

Archived