Upgrades

Shawns6t6gto

Just curious I am booked on the Caribbean princess for next Sunday, What are the chances of a upgrade. When I booked in January I was asked by my travel agent if Princess offed me a upgrade would I be interested. I said that we would. We are on a balcony on the Aloha deck. Just wondering if this is common.

Shawn

Upgrades to a different category do still happen, but are not as common as they used to be. The question asked about accepting an upgrade is common practice as TA's, or booking direct with Princess, need to check a box to say you will accept an upgrade if one comes along.

Most upgrades anymore are given to a higher category, but in the same type of stateroom as you booked. Balcony to a higher balcony category, mini suite to a higher mini suite category, and so on.

It would be great if you received one, but I would not count on it in any way.

Best of luck though!

Here little upgrade fairy, here little upgrade fairy, come out, come out where ever you are!;) :D ;) I always hope for one and sometimes wishes do come true! Not often it's true but when it does, heaven!:cool:

I think ..... generally the lower your catagory the greater your upgrade possibility .... just makes sense.... you have more room to move up. ;)

Most of our upgrades have come when we booked an inside guarenteed.

Just curious I am booked on the Caribbean princess for next Sunday, What are the chances of a upgrade. When I booked in January I was asked by my travel agent if Princess offed me a upgrade would I be interested. I said that we would. We are on a balcony on the Aloha deck. Just wondering if this is common.

Shawn

Since your sailing is so close, I doubt if you'll be upgraded :( . But you never know... When you get to the port you may find a "last minute" upgrade :) ! Also, you have a very nice cabin and location. If they want to upgrade you be sure to check the location and what's above and below. We were offered an "upgrade" once that was under the theater. We said "no thanks!".

Have a wonderful cruise!

Here little upgrade fairy, here little upgrade fairy, come out, come out where ever you are!;) :D ;) I always hope for one and sometimes wishes do come true! Not often it's true but when it does, heaven!:cool:

This is the best post I have read all day. Too funny.

We put in for an upgrade as well for our 1/08 cruise. I've never tried that as I'm always so picky with aft balconies, but this ship doesn't have BA or BB aft balconies. So I booked a totally different kind of BA (next to the pool) and thought if we get upgraded it'd be to a minisuite or higher, if not, I'm gonna love my room.

Shawn, here's wishing for the fairy as well.

Have a great time!

Upgrades to a different category do still happen, but are not as common as they used to be. The question asked about accepting an upgrade is common practice as TA's, or booking direct with Princess, need to check a box to say you will accept an upgrade if one comes along.

Most upgrades anymore are given to a higher category, but in the same type of stateroom as you booked. Balcony to a higher balcony category, mini suite to a higher mini suite category, and so on.

It would be great if you received one, but I would not count on it in any way.

Best of luck though!

Thats not true!!! Booked a guaranteed K inside..was upgraded to a J inside and another one to an E Ocean View...10 category upgrade over the past 7 months...and I booked directly with Princess:D

Thats not true!!! Booked a guaranteed K inside..was upgraded to a J inside and another one to an E Ocean View...10 category upgrade over the past 7 months...and I booked directly with Princess:D

Good for you Manny!

Lolo

To quote my original reply: "Upgrades to a different category do still happen, but are not as common as they used to be."

I didn't say they never happen anymore, just that it is rare. Congrats on your upgrade, you are one of the lucky few! ;)

Wow, twice in 7 months, I'm still waiting for my first one:D :rolleyes:

Were they on Princess??

How does one know how full a certain ship is? I am sailing 7/14 on the Crown Princess and am curious if it is full.:confused:

There are at least three ways to see how full your ship is:

1. Call your Travel Agent and ask!
  2. Go to the Princess Web Site, find your Cruise under "Find and Compare Cruises, then go through each category to see which ones are wait listed, GTY only, etc.
  3. Call Princess and ask (they may tell you something; probably less info then you'd get from your TA).

I'm using method #2 to check our cruise coming up in June. We're in a an AA Mini, and we're hoping for an upgrade to a full suite. There are still a few minis available, but there are more full suites available. So, there is still a chance. We're hoping for something really good to happen about 30 days or less prior to our cruise!:)

To quote my original reply: "Upgrades to a different category do still happen, but are not as common as they used to be."

I didn't say they never happen anymore, just that it is rare. Congrats on your upgrade, you are one of the lucky few! ;)

I agree, especially one week before sailing as the OP said. Its happened, but chances sound slim to me too.

I was referring to the second part of your post...see above..I deleted the rest of your post as to not confuse what I was referring to.

My up grades where from inside to Ocean view... so I still say your statement is NOT true..ther are not just given in the same category!

mandotsan-Notice the highlighted word in my original post. I didn't say it never happens anymore, just that MOST upgrades are to a higher category in the same type of stateroom. I hate to nit pic, but I made sure when I posted that to allow for those few that do actually get upgraded to a better type of stateroom. There are always a few exceptions when booking a cruise. It does happen, and I am glad you received yours, it just isn't as common anymore as it used to be. I honestly hate to see passengers that book say an inside cabin and read others comments about getting these wonderful upgrades and when they don't receive one, they are disappointed. Yes, some do still receive those 'once very common' huge upgrades, but not like they used to. It is rare these days to receive those upgrades from inside to outside or outside to balcony cabins. Best of luck to all, and hopefully we will see some of those rare occurances in the near future, like yours, for CC members.

Shawn

It has been our experience that the upgrade fairy visits us most often a significant amount of time before the cruise, often shortly after booking through the intervention of the TA down the hall (back in Colorado). Out of all our cruises we were upgraded once at checkin at the dock, and that was on Sea Princess from one class of balcony cabin to another (see date below).

The most common upgrade for us is within class (e.g. outside partially blocked view to outside unblocked). Less common is from outside to outside balcony. We have never booked inside cabins with the hope of being upgraded to outside because I would not be happy with an inside cabin.

The moral of the story is

Book a cabin that you are satisfied with, and will be happy with during the cruise. If you are visited by an upgrade fairy sprinkling cruisy dust, then consider this an added blessing. But don't ever count on it, as there are 1000+ other passengers hoping for a visit by the fairy.

Have a great cruise.

Originally Posted by Toto2Kansas viewpost.gif

Yes I did understand what you said when you said "Most upgrades anymore are given to a higher category" My issue was with the part that I highlighted "but in the same type of stateroom as you booked. Balcony to a higher balcony category, mini suite to a higher mini suite category and so on."

I took that to mean that they don't upgrade you from say an inside to ocean view or a balcony to a mini suite. I just stated that they do!..I went from an inside to an ocean view...with all due respect that is NOT "the same type of stateroom".;)

So if you do get an upgrade and booked directly through princess, how do they notify you? by email or phone or is it just updated on the cruise personalizer? Do they give you a time frame to decide on it or do they just give it to you?

At least for us I called her weekly...at her request..the notifications came by email. I must add that our Princess Cruise Vacation Planner worked very hard for us..and to show her our deepest appreciation we sent her an Edible Fruit Arrangement directly to her office in Santa Clarita CA.:D

At least for us I called her weekly...at her request..the notifications came by email. I must add that our Princess Cruise Vacation Planner worked very hard for us..and to show her our deepest appreciation we sent her an Edible Fruit Arrangement directly to her office in Santa Clarita CA.:D

Hi Manny and Dorthy!

Larry

Archived