Need honest opinions about Godfrey's...

RzrLens

I am thinking that he might be our best option and just want opinions of people who have used him. I sent my DH some info on all of the tour guides (he's currently overseas so we have to do everything by email:() and he thinks he likes Godfrey best. Just want to know what has been your experience and if it is worth it or if you would do something else. Thanks!

We used Godfrey a couple of years ago and enjoyed him. He was very pleasant, stopped at several locations and took us to Sapphire Beach. He wouldn't take us to Magen's.

I guess it depends on what you would like from the tour director. Godfrey is personable, but not loud, doesn't play music like Sunny Liston does. Last year we went on Sunny's tour and didn't have the number of tourist stops that Godfrey had, but I think now both might be doing the same tour.

Godfrey doesn't answer his email within a day or two so that was a concern for me. I guess if we were to do Godfrey again, I would ask if he still stops at other than the main overlook and the top of the mountain and then to the beach. If he says that those are his only stops, I guess it doesn't matter if you do him or Sunny. If he says he goes to other places, I would definitely book him.

Just for your information the reason we changed to Sunny was that we heard he played music, and he did do that. We had other problems with him as far as being picked up. If both do the same tour, I guess it's a toss-up.

Katie

There are MANY local taxi tour guides on St. Thomas. Just come downtown and speak to them and get their prices that day. No need to book in advance. Unfortunately, they are all over the place - wish there was just one taxi dispatching locale.

Very confusing as the taxis just cruise all day - and the gas is expensive there!

There are MANY local taxi tour guides on St. Thomas. Just come downtown and speak to them and get their prices that day. No need to book in advance. Unfortunately, they are all over the place - wish there was just one taxi dispatching locale.

Very confusing as the taxis just cruise all day - and the gas is expensive there!

How much are they, and can you trust leaving your valuables with them? I have a very expensive camera that I take with me on vacation, but can't bring it ashore to the beach. I don't feel comfortable leaving it with someone who is a taxi driver as opposed to someone who others have left their stuff with and not had any problems. Also, what is the price of the taxi tour guides? Godfrey is only $50 for 2 of us for the entire day. Those are my 2 concerns. If anyone has done the taxi tour guide and left valuables with them or knows prices, please reply, as I would love to hear your input.

I was there 3 months ago and 4 of us choose Godfrey, go to godfreytoursvi dot com for more info. He offers a very nice tour with options from which you may chose. You may chose to go shopping and for either 1, 2 or 3 hours and he will then pick you up and begin your tour. If you wish he will place your packages, camera etc. in the cab and lock it up while you are at the beach. We chose to go to Coral World and he gave us discount coupons worth $4 each reducing the tour price there to $14 each. There were 2 or 3 beaches which you could chose to go to as well. After that he will pick you back up again and return you to the ship. It was a most interesting tour of the island and well worth the price. We would most definitely use him again.

Randy

We definately reccommend Godfrey. We were originally booked to do the Best of St. Thomas tour with Princess but heard alot of great things about Godrey. We checked out his website and really liked what we saw..and his price was half of Princess'. (same tour) . We did Tour # 1. and opted for 3 hrs of shopping before seeing the island. Another plus ...his the open air safari bus that fit just the right amount of people.

He really does an EXCELLENT job and we were extremely pleased with his services. I read another post that said Godfrey didin't get back to them right away..o it took a couple of days. Because our sail date was 2 days before we booked, we asked him to confirm our reservations when we made them. He confirmed that evening. I don't think he confirms unless you ask him too. Either way, you will not be stuck without a ride to anywhere you want to go. There are a ton of tour giudes around.

P.S the taxi's in St. Thomas are pretty much safari buses and pick people up along the way. So if you decide to do this route..it may take you longer to get where you are going for the simple fact of having to pick/ drop people off at various locations.

Here are photos we took from our tour with Godfrey:

http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/1196385

Those are amazing photos! Thank you for sharing. One question though... is all you saw Mountain top for stops other than the beach? I was under the impression he goes to some of the pirate castles, drakes seat, etc. as well as mountain top.

When we did Godfrey a couple of years ago, he made a few stops, but I think that now there is one stop that is a photo opportunity and then the stop at Mountaintop. The reason I say this is that last year we went with Sunny Liston and those are the places we went. From what I have seen posted, both do the same tour.

We were disappointed with the tour part because we didn't really do a tour like we did on other islands. I do have to say that if you go downtown, then to a beach and back, you probably would spend about the same amount of money in cab fare, so with going with Godfrey or Sunny you just get to see a little more.

Enjoy.

Katie

Those are amazing photos! Thank you for sharing. One question though... is all you saw Mountain Top for stops other than the beach? I was under the impression he goes to some of the pirate castles, drakes seat, etc. as well as mountain top.

Aside from Mountain Top we stopped at some overlooks where he spoke a bit about the island and what we were looking at. We could get out of the vehicle at those points but there wasn't a lot of walking to do. Mountain Top is your basic tourist trap but it's worth going there for the view.

We did the tour in 2003 and his offerings may have changed somewhat since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on Godfrey's website, "On our Historical Tour of the island, we don't just drive, we have ten (10) stops." But it seems like they only stopped 3 times? I want to get out at the castles not just drive by them....I guess I need to email the tours and ask them directly, where they stop and hold them to it on the tour.....

Thanks!

I found this on Godfrey's website, "On our Historical Tour of the island, we don't just drive, we have ten (10) stops." But it seems like they only stopped 3 times? I want to get out at the castles not just drive by them....I guess I need to email the tours and ask them directly, where they stop and hold them to it on the tour.....

Thanks!

I asked him that over email. This is my question:

I have one more question... are the locations listed on your website still the stops that you make during your tour? I was interested in going to Mountain top, and Bluebeard and Blackboard Castles, which are listed, but I didn't know if you stuck with that schedule during every tour. Also, do you go close to the 99 steps? Sorry for all of the questions. Again, thanks for your quick reply.

This is his response:

This is Godfrey, the 99 steps are located right in downtown lead to Blackbeards Tower. we dont visit Blackbeards tower anymore because they charge a FEE of $12.00 dollars per person to get inside. we stop and overlook it the tower. we cover all the places listed on my web.site.

So, I assume that we would stop on the tour at all of the places. I am an avid photograph taker, and I will want to get out for pictures. Let me know if he responds differently to you if you ask.

• 3 weeks later...

We have used Godfrey twice. This is a great tour for the money. Godfrey is pleasant enough. You get to shop, tour and beach for 25 dollars you really cannot beat this price even for the transportation, just don't expect a private tour guide, you whiz by alot of the sights. I think we stopped for photos at a look out where you could see the harbour then went to Mountaintop which has tourist shops and an overlook where you can see alot of other islands. then he drops people off at Coki Beach then Sapphirefor a few hrs of swimming.

This is basically a ship's tour with a nice guy for a good price.

We will probably do it again in Nov.

I have used Godfrey twice and enjoyed his tour both times. I also like him because you pay him at the end of the tour. I heard that Sunny Liston wants you to pay by PayPal when you book. I would use Godfrey again. He was on time and had a sign with our names on it so we could find him easily and he was well worth $25 pp.

• 5 months later...

Just got back from our cruise... Godfrey was AWESOME!!! Well worth the money, and DH even said he would be willing to pay more just because it was so great! The picture stops are PHENOMENAL and I have breathtaking pics to prove it! We chose to be dropped off at Saphire beach and LOVED it. We both fell in love with St. Thomas and are hoping to return soon. If you are thinking about booking with Godfrey, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed!!!

We have done Godfrey's tour twice. If you want to store things in his truck while you are shopping or swimming, he will lock it in the cab part with him. That is what we did. When we got back to the cruise terminal, we took our things our of the cab. He has a regular front seat; the customers sit in the back separated from him. He uses the back seat speakers to talk to you. We have never had any problems with leaving our tote bags with him.

Just got back from our cruise... Godfrey was AWESOME!!! Well worth the money, and DH even said he would be willing to pay more just because it was so great! The picture stops are PHENOMENAL and I have breathtaking pics to prove it! We chose to be dropped off at Saphire beach and LOVED it. We both fell in love with St. Thomas and are hoping to return soon. If you are thinking about booking with Godfrey, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed!!!

Can you post some of your pictures from the tour? What locations did you stop at?

Archived