Locking luggage?

CBCit

I'm sure many bags pass thru the airports that are locked and never bothered. But I thought the policy was to either leave the bag unlocked, secured with plastic tabs, or use TSA approved locks, so that the bags could be inspected randomly. It was my understanding that they would cut off all locks except the TSA approved locks if that particular bag was to be inspected.

We use the plastic tabs things that are easily cut off and replaced, as well as baggage straps in case the zippers fail.

So using a TSA-approved lock is fine for the cruise check-in? We don't have to fly, but I'd still like to lock our luggage for the check-in process... Is it TSA or Princess that actually "checks" everyone's luggage? Thanks OP for asking this! :)

We've used the TSA approved locks for the last several years. They have been fine on all but one occasion......that was when I was checking-in at the airport in Miami for a post-cruise homeward bound flight. There the contract employee who was manning the baggage inspection station told me that I would have to unlock the bag because he didn't "have time to mess with the locks". So I unlocked the bags, stood there with the bags until he did a really superficial job of checking them, and then re-locked them. In any event, I like to have the bags locked when it goes into the baggage processing area, just because it means that a thief will have to take a few extra seconds to get into your bag versus someone else's bag.

Flying or cruising, we don't use locks at all. We use the plastic ties (double) and a luggage strap around the middle.

Pia

Pia - we use the nylon ties, too. They are cheap, reliable, and you know right away if anyone has been into your case. They are good to use in your hotel room, too. We have never had any problem with them with security people.

Cheers,

Dee

We've always use tsa approved locks--some of them have a window that shows if the lock had been unlocked--I wouldn't put unlocked bags outside the door.

It really surprises me how many people think that you are NOT to lock bags when flying.

Nancy:D

Are you referring to luggage left in the hall to be picked up on the ship??

What would they be checking for????maybe I misunderstood your comment.

If you mean't at the airport--they can open them if they wish.

Nancy:D

Does checked luggage have to be unlocked like when flying?

No, when boarding and disembarking they strongly suggest you lock your luggage! You don't have to use TSA locks (unless you're flying); you can use any kind of luggage lock. If ship security wants to see something in your luggage they'll call you to come open it.

When we drive to the port we use the locks that came with our luggage. When we fly, we use the TSA locks.

Pia - we use the nylon ties, too. They are cheap, reliable, and you know right away if anyone has been into your case. They are good to use in your hotel room, too. We have never had any problem with them with security people.

Cheers,

Dee

Our last cruise, TSA removed the plastic ties (left a card inside stating they inspected the luggage) and sent the luggage on it's way without replacing the plastic tie. This time I bought another TSA lock so both of our checked luggage have locks on them. (We orginally had two locks but one was a plastic combination lock and it broke right before we cruised. Now we have two metal combination locks.)

BTW, if you do use the plastic ties don't forget to keep a pair of clippers in your carry on so you can get into your own luggage!

Our last cruise, TSA removed the plastic ties (left a card inside stating they inspected the luggage) and sent the luggage on it's way without replacing the plastic tie. This time I bought another TSA lock so both of our checked luggage have locks on them. (We orginally had two locks but one was a plastic combination lock and it broke right before we cruised. Now we have two metal combination locks.)

BTW, if you do use the plastic ties don't forget to keep a pair of clippers in your carry on so you can get into your own luggage!

Not long after Sept 11 I flew from Sydney home to Auckland, not thinking I had thrown my favourite metal comb that I had owned for many years across the top of my luggage. It was one of those ones with the long handle that we used to use to tease our hair with. My lock on my case had been chopped off.

A couple of years ago we flew from Auckland to Sydney to join the Pacific Princess, I made DH put plastic ties on our cases. We got to the hotel and guess what, we had nothing to cut them off with. YOu can not fly with clippers. Fortunately the hotel room had a packet of matches and we were able to melt them off. Believe me the Old Boy was really cross with me :eek:

We always use the plastic ties, and pack clippers in the outside zipper pocket of the checked luggage. That enables us to get to the clippers and cut the plastic ties off.

We carry two of them; one in an outside pocket of each case. You never know when an itchy handed employee will decide he needs one. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that you should lock your luggage (if you want to) and if there is a problem, they will call you to come down and open it. :cool:

locking your luggage is always a good thing I guess, provided you use the TSA approved lock or nylon ties. My sister locked her luggage using neither...and yes they did call her down to open her bag. It was a royal pain. Use the approved lock or nylon ties.

We just use pipe cleaners and twist them around the little holes that the locks would go through. I don't leave any valuable in my luggage and if someone want my dirty laundry well then I guess that is less washing I will have to do when I get home!!!:D

So using a TSA-approved lock is fine for the cruise check-in? We don't have to fly, but I'd still like to lock our luggage for the check-in process... Is it TSA or Princess that actually "checks" everyone's luggage? Thanks OP for asking this! :)

Lock em up. Cruise lines do not require TSA Locks, etc.

Archived