Marseille

In April there were plenty of cabs lined up, mostly hawking day tours. The train station/ bus depot are about 5 miles to downtown area. They charged 20 euros (but only 12 from city back), so with 4 Cruisers its 5 e. per head.

We were interested in Aix-en-Provence so took express Autoroute bus for 4 euros (1 e. over 65). The buses run evry 20 min. and took 25 minutes. When we arrived at Aix (Ex), we hired a taxi for a quick tour of all the sights (12 euros) and got dropped off at the top of town and strolled back down the hill stopping at the shops and cafes on the Cours Mirabeau. Even though it was a Sunday there was enough open to spend a delightful afternoon.

Upon returning to Marseilles we felt adventurous and took a city bus back to the ship. The bus stop is on a busy highway and was about 400 yard walk down a hill. I don't think it would be realistic to walk up this highway to find the Metro stop.

Thanks, Peter! The more I'm reading the harder this decision seems to become! I am wondering about the traffic situation since it is the last Sunday of August...could everyone in France be trying to drive home???!!!:eek: This thought is pushing us to go with a ships tour.:rolleyes:

Hi 4 cruise, looks like it is getting close. The ship will docks on the far west side of Marseille. There was a $5.00 shuttle each way into Marseille when we were there. We didn't take the shuttle. We did take the Les Baux de Provence tour which was great. I didn't know that part of France was so beautifu. (In the foot hills of the limestone capped mountain). I thought I was in Arizona except for the fact that there were olive orchards, and fields of sunflowers. This was a tour we really enjoyed and the shops were open on Sunday. This is a very touristy area and you will find many Europeans also visiting this area. I had asked another couple who toured Marseille and they seemed kind of disappointed. Just so you know the Les Baux tour is very enchanting.(Alot different than I had exspected) Well worth the tour price which was reasonable. Tim and Cathy

Norwegian Sky 5/03

Norwegian Star 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas 5/04

Thanks, Peter! The more I'm reading the harder this decision seems to become! I am wondering about the traffic situation since it is the last Sunday of August...could everyone in France be trying to drive home???!!!:eek: This thought is pushing us to go with a ships tour.:rolleyes:

We did ship tour and liked it alot. ;) Marseille is actually made much better impression on us than many people suggested. You also have two different times to choose from.

Wow....Tim and Cathy, we are really considering that tour. It leaves at 1:00 (?)and is only $45- for adults and 29- for our son!!! Makes a very good deal!

Tatka, you have been wonderful in answering all our questions on Splendour! Nice chance to thank you once again!!! I do like the fact that the Marseille tour is short! ;)

Well, now I have MORE food for thought! Thanks for helping all!

Nanette

Archived