hiring a driver for the day

tyson

Lisa (or anyone else)-

I will be on the Navigator of Seas coming into Cozumel and RCL says it shore time is 10-7. Will I be able to book the private driver for 10:00 or should I make it 10:30?

Thanks

Katie

We met Gerry at 11 ship's time. Since this was our second time with him we knew exactly where we wanted to go, so we worked out the time that way. The first time we met him at 10 (ship's time) and he took us to the local grocery store, on a tour of the homes and nice neighborhoods in Cozumel, to the ruins (this was a tour we paid for and spent about an hour there), then to the Tequila factory (a definite stop! Costs $10 per person and you get a margarita and a great tour with samples. We did this one again this year!), then around to the east side of the island where he will stop for pictures at Coconuts if you want before lunch at Playa Bonita (another must do- we ate there again this time. The shrimp and margaritas are wonderful!). There are many picture opportunities as you head back around the island that Gerry will recommend you stop at, as well as local shopping areas you can go to as well. This time we had him take us to Mr. Sanchos beach club where the girls and I got massages and my husband had 2 more margaritas before taking us back to the ship.

If you've never done anything other than a beach or shopping in Cozumel, I would highly recommend the 5 hour tour of the island with Gerry. It's a terrific way to see the island.

We met Gerry at 11 ship's time. Since this was our second time with him we knew exactly where we wanted to go, so we worked out the time that way. The first time we met him at 10 (ship's time) and he took us to the local grocery store, on a tour of the homes and nice neighborhoods in Cozumel, to the ruins (this was a tour we paid for and spent about an hour there), then to the Tequila factory (a definite stop! Costs $10 per person and you get a margarita and a great tour with samples. We did this one again this year!), then around to the east side of the island where he will stop for pictures at Coconuts if you want before lunch at Playa Bonita (another must do- we ate there again this time. The shrimp and margaritas are wonderful!). There are many picture opportunities as you head back around the island that Gerry will recommend you stop at, as well as local shopping areas you can go to as well. This time we had him take us to Mr. Sanchos beach club where the girls and I got massages and my husband had 2 more margaritas before taking us back to the ship.

If you've never done anything other than a beach or shopping in Cozumel, I would highly recommend the 5 hour tour of the island with Gerry. It's a terrific way to see the island.

Agree with this assessment. We did similar, without the tequila stop, as we did a tequila stop in PV a year prior. I would recommend the grocery stop for beverages and snacks, as Gerry will provide a cooler and if you want cervezas, you can also get ice at the grocery (MegaMart) to keep them cold. The MegaMart is a good place to get some souvenirs as well for the kiddies back home. They had some cute kid's outfits at very reasonable prices.

We had a great tour at San Gervasio with a Mayan guide that Gerry secured for us for a few extra $'s . Having the guide really made touring the ruins worthwhile.

Have a great time!

:confused: Now it's my turn to be concerned. I emailed Mike on the 7th and again on the 12th and still have not heard from him. I used the address cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com and have checked my spam folder. Does anyone have any ideas? We are hoping to use Gerry on February 17th.

Hi - this is the exact same problem I am having - see my post "difficulty contacting Gerry". I reserved Gerry last year but now want to finalize arrangements for the end of Feb. Maybe Mike is out of town. I will try again in a few days. This is my second time with Gerry and I didn't have this difficulty last time and was wondering if there was a problem with Mike or Gerry.

I am having issues as well. I used Mike to contact Gerry in Aug. 2008, but he was already booked and we used Lazaro for the day. We happened to meet up with Gerry too, and promised that we would book him the next time we were in Cozumel, even though we had a great day with Lazaro. I contacted Mike a few months ago to book Gerry for this coming summer, and he sent me an email asking me to confirm what time we wanted to meet. I replied several times, but have not received any response back. Now that the cruiseline changed the order of ports, I need to change the date (that I never really received any confirmation for). I sent another email earlier this week, but haven't heard anything back. I am wondering what is going on as well...which is why I keep checking this thread.

When we reserved Gerry last year, Mike gave me his cell phone number to call in case we had any problem making port (Gerry's cell can only accept calls locally). It would be an international call, but if anyone wants to try to contact Mike by phone here's the number her had given me:

011 521 987 564 0437

About 3 years ago, we had lunch in a restaurant on the beach. They served incredible seafood on mirrors. It is right at the edge of the surf on the uninhabited side of the island.

Does anyone know the name of this place as we would love to return. Thanks in advance for any information!

I haven't heard a thing. I am strongly considering a change in plans for that day. I wish that I could contact Gerry directly. I am so disappointed that Mike is no longer setting this up for us. I wonder if something has happened with his health.

That is odd....

Mike usually gets back with us in a matter of days.

Did he tell you why he had been out of contact? For me it has been months. I guess I'll try one last time.

Double check the email address:

cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com

Also, double check your Spam file...sometimes his replies have gone there on my computer for some reason.

No problem with email or spam box as I had also wondered.

Mike said he had been away with no internet connection.

We did this last week and I thought I would share my experience. I had read on another board about using the vans at the pier marked "Island Van Tours." We were planning on using them, however we found out that these were 15 passanger vans. The minimum you could have on the tour was 5, but it was just DH and I. They did allow you to buddy up with others, but we really wanted to do it ourselves.

We then decided to just hire a taxi, and I had heard about the $20/hour rate. We tried talking to a taxi driver, but he was very certain that people do NOT hire drivers to go the other side of the island.

By this time I was becoming very frustrated because I was set on getting away from the crowds. We then stood in the taxi line for a long time until we were able to get an English speaking driver to agree to take us. However, he was very clear that $20 an hour was not an acceptable rate and would not budge on $140 for 5 hours. We just wanted to get our day going that we said fine. He did extend our time which was nice, so it really ended up being close to 6 hours.

I just wanted to warn you that it may be frustrating if you don't set something up ahead of time. It was a zoo of people trying to get taxis (we were at International Pier, so that may have made a difference). It's very frustrating when you think you're being charged too much too. In spite of the rough start to the day, we did have a very nice time. If you want to know about any of the stops we made, let me know.

can u recommend some places to see, for family of 5, kids 11 and under? thanks

I emailed him - adielrenan@hotmail.com - but there were phone numbers and another email address on the post I previously mentioned. We are a party of three and the price he mentioned to us was $80/person for 6 hours. Price includes some admissions and beverages.

Thank you for the info! I emailed him earlier today so I guess I will have to patiently wait for a response.:rolleyes:

quote=LoveRoadTrips;27655670]I just booked with a driver named Adiel. I found his name on a post in the Cozumel my Cozumel forum.

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble but glad to hear you have managed to book someone else. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Although I heard from Mike last week I have not had a reply again to the follow up questions so communication at the moment is certainly frustrating.

I was having a hard time contacting Gerry/Mike also. I have not heard anything from him in over 2 weeks :confused: and we've used him twice in the past. We really enjoyed our time with Gerry, but I couldn't wait any longer for a reply. Soooooo......I too booked with Adiel. I sent him an e-mail at adielrenan@hotmail.com and he responded within a few hours......so we will be booking with him. Thank Adiel. :D