Where does the Constellation dock in Warnemunde?

Try the following link to the Rostock/Warnemunde cruise ship terminals. Just look at the list and find your ship and you will see if you dock in Warnemunde which is P1-7 or the Rostock Seaport terminal. Our Constellation docked on June 25, 2004 and we were in the Rostock Terminal. This terminal is still quite a long way from Rostock, about a 20 minute drive.Sometimes the Constellation docks in Warnemnunde. You will have to check and see. We rented from Avis which was a rip off. We saw some links on this board about Avis meeting you at the dock. I made my reservation with Avis and they confirmed they would pick us up. However, after we were picked up and taken to the rental agency in Rostock they informed us it was a 22Euro charge each way for the ride. All this after waiting one hour for this ride. We were extremely disappointed. We saw Hertz and Sixt rental cars-people seemed to be more satisfied with these agencies.

We were so looking forward to our visit to Germany as my husband is 100% German, but will say this port was the least favorite of all 9 ports of call. The people in this area (former East Germany) were not very friendly and seemed rather put off that they had to deal with American tourists. I will say we encountered the opposite at all other ports where people were so happy to help and serve. If I had to do it all over again, I would go to Berlin. We just drove around the countryside and visited Schwerin and Gustrow.

http://www.cruiseport-rostock.com/en/anlaeufe/anlauefe_2003.asp

We docked in Warnemunde - Constellation (July 3 departure) and it was a short walk to the train into Rostock. We would have been lost with my very very limited German (40+ years ago) but someone helped us buy a ticket good on the train and the tram for all day and I think less than 8 euros (I think total).

Rostock was intimidating but worth the ride. Very few people spoke English and noone took US dollars (unlike the other ports where most did even though the ship said they wouldn't). We hadn't exchanged money on the ship (a mistake) and I had to pay a hefty fee to change some money at Deutsche Bank. We ate at the place with the golden rooster and the food and beer were great. When we returned we walked all over Warnemunde -- just like a typical ocean beach town (think Seaside, OR; Long Beach Island, NJ) and ended up having a delicious inexpensive dinner at a little "shack" on the way back to the ship.

Hope this helps. I wish I were going again NOW!

We were on the June 19 sailing of the Constellation and docked in Rostock. Celebrity provided a free shuttle into town. It's interesting that the next sailing went into Warnemunde. I wonder what determines where they dock....

We were on the same July 3, 2004 cruise as BBA. As she said, we docked right at Warnemünde - very convienient.

The Warnemünde section of my journal is below.

-----------------------------

July 12, 2004, Warnemünde, Germany

$1 = 0.821 Euro

- Docks at 7AM, leaves 8:30PM

- Around 8:30 we walked to the train station (5min) and purchased a return ticket (3.10€ each) to Rostock. We purchased the tickets directly from the conductors, who were standing by the train. Walked from the Rostock HBA station to the Steintor area (about 10-15 blocks). The conductors had advised us that our tickets included all transportation for 15 minutes after our arrival and that we could use the tram to get to our final destination. The TI at Rostock told us to take the Number 5 tram to Steintor but we decided to walk instead.

- My wife was amazed at the local's front yard gardens. Many were filled with large lavender plants and flowers everywhere. Germany had the most flowers encountered anywhere on this trip, and not only at street level but also in windows and balcony railings.

- Along the way to Steintor we visited the Marienkirche church to see the big clock. It is two big clocks that include date, month, etc., on a circular dial and the time above. We couldn't read any of it, so we couldn't really deduce the time from it.

- Afterwards we strolled along the pedestrian streets and shopped a bit.

- We ate a “Bratwurst Mit Curry” that was wonderful. No bun - you pick up the long bratwurst with your fingers and dip into the curry. It included a very good baguette that you also dip into the curry. We copied the locals at our stand up table to learn how to properly eat it.

- We walked back to the train station and utilized an Internet Café next to the station. 30 minutes for 1.5€ ($1.83). My wife purchased coffee for both of us while I sent emails. The coffee was strong but good and they provided the little cookies that Delta Airlines serves. While walking to the station, we stopped in a bakery and purchased two of the best Danish pastries that either of us has ever eaten - wow!

- Around 2:30PM we returned via train to Warnemünde. The ship is so close to the train station that we dumped our purchases and then went to the beach boardwalk area of Warnemünde, walking North to the beach. My wife collected beach glass and waded in the Baltic Sea. She said that the water wasn't as cold as she expected considering the cold air temperature.

- We ate dinner at a fish restaurant "Warnemünder Fischerhaus" along the east shore of the Alter Strom. We split a nice salad and brat herring (fried herring) with potatoes and onions, which was preceded by wonderful fish soup. My wife had white wine while I had a Rostocker Beer. It was a pleasant meal with friendly staff.

- After returning to the ship around 7:30PM, we went to the Reflections lounge to watch the departure. The people of Warnemünde, were all gathered to watch us sail out and were waving and singing. This was genuine, not staged. A sailing ship barley got out of our way in the sea lane - it seemed that we would collide and the Warnemünde Police boat had to pursue the sailing ship to get it to move - a close call, or so it seemed. The ship's horn blew for at least ten minutes.

- We caught the tail end of the show and then, while walking through the store area, discovered that someone had purchased the icon that we were thinking of purchasing.

- Warnemünde and Rostock were very enjoyable - clean, modern, safe feeling - general joy. However, almost no one speaks English, which can make some transactions a bit more difficult.

Archived