Motor coach vs. train Denali to Talkeetna

KnoxvilleSam

I just got a message from Princess that they oversold the train from Denali Natl Park to Talkeetna on June 10 and are giving us motorcoach instead and shipboard credit. Any opinions on this regarding what we're losing by not taking the train from Denali to Talkeetna vs. what we're gaining (a litle time and $75 pp shipboard credit).

Thanks,

Sam

I just talked to Princess about this and their rep said that the entire cruisetour was overbooked and that everyone on this particular cruisetour was being bumped from the train to a motorcoach. So that's what we're doing whether we like it or not. The Princess cruisetoor booking by the way is 10S for anyone else on this tour.

Sam

There is some nice scenery via the train, north of Talkeetna that the Parks Highway doesn't see. However, you will go direct from the Princess Denali Lodge to the McKinley lodge instead of Talkeetna. So adjust your Talkeetna plans if you had any for your prior train arrival. Has the departure time changed, you are now looking at a little over 2 hour bus ride.

We are on the RCI cruise tour that leaves Denali for Talkeetna on June 10. Will be affected also or does it just affect Princess tours.

J

RCI is completely separate with their own independent rail cars, having nothing to do with Princess.

Thanks for the heads up BQ - when I called them on the phone, Princess told me that well be leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 1300 on the motorcoach and arrive in Talkeetna at 1515 (1:00 pm and 3:15 pm for the non-military types. :))

She thought we'd go directly to the McKinley Princess Lodge but seemed to get confused about whether we could stay in Talkeetna and take an excursion and take a later shuttle to the McKinely Princess Lodge. When I added that the excursion would be with an independent (i.e., not a Princess excursion) you'd think that I'd grown a second head - "why no, we can't provide any transfer unless you're taking a Princess excursion." This is after we've paid over $7k total for our cruisetour. I think I'm going to be talking to a different Princess rep tomorrow. We really do want to take a summit flight for McKinley - or at least I do, the wife isn't too sure about those oxygen masks!

Sam

Sam - sorry to hear about the change in plans. We were originally looking at a cruisetour because the couple we are traveling with wanted to do the train. Glad we decided to go independent.

I really hope it all works out for you guys!

Sam - sorry to hear about the change in plans. We were originally looking at a cruisetour because the couple we are traveling with wanted to do the train. Glad we decided to go independent.

I really hope it all works out for you guys!

Not to worry Stired - life's too short to get too uptight about things like this. And Nancy wasn't too crazy about the oxygen mask requirements anyway. :)

Won't be long now - we'll see you in Denali - even if it is almost before sunrise. :D Let's pray for good weather and a clean view of McKinley on our shuttle buses.

Sam

Thanks for the heads up BQ - when I called them on the phone, Princess told me that well be leaving Denali Princess Lodge at 1300 on the motorcoach and arrive in Talkeetna at 1515 (1:00 pm and 3:15 pm for the non-military types. :))

She thought we'd go directly to the McKinley Princess Lodge but seemed to get confused about whether we could stay in Talkeetna and take an excursion and take a later shuttle to the McKinely Princess Lodge. When I added that the excursion would be with an independent (i.e., not a Princess excursion) you'd think that I'd grown a second head - "why no, we can't provide any transfer unless you're taking a Princess excursion." This is after we've paid over $7k total for our cruisetour. I think I'm going to be talking to a different Princess rep tomorrow. We really do want to take a summit flight for McKinley - or at least I do, the wife isn't too sure about those oxygen masks!

Sam

I will speculate the bus most certainly will stop and unload at the McKinley Princess FIRST. Take a look at a map, they are not going to go right past it and haul everyone to Talkeetna. :)

Princess does run shuttles back and forth and they certainly are correct, you won't be on any buses that are doing Princess tours. I will speculate however, you won't be able to count on getting to Talkeetna promptly as there are likely to be many people interested in going and not enough seats, causing waits for buses. If you want a flight, you are going to be safer with better use of time using the Princess tours. Sorry, but true with a 3:15pm arrival and probably through 4pm unloading and check in. McKinley Princess is very spread out if at the far buildlings- quite a hike for some people.

You probably aren't going to get any firm accurate answers from Princess, by now you should realize these people have never been to Alaska and don't have all the information. I suggested in the past, call the McKinley lodge directly, should be open next week with workers there. It's hard for me to even imagine spending that kind of money for one Alaska trip, you have a good attitude.

The only reason I posted about this was because Princess changed our schedule. I'd already planned on waiting until mid-May to call the Princess McKinley lodge regarding the shuttle schedule. And since DW isn't too keen on the oxygen mask deal, I think I'm going to look for "mild" white water rafting either the afternoon we arrive Denali or McKinley.

Sam

Archived