Vatican Tour Guides

We’re thinking of using the HOHO bus in Rome, but might want a paid guide for the Vatican.

How does one arrange this – and can it be done in advance to mitigate a long wait in line?

About how much would it cost?

Thanks, :)

I emailed Angel Tours, based on what I have read on these boards, for our trip in July. Look on their website, all of the prices are there. Angeltoursrome.com I loved the site! I think it's 25 euros for adults, plus admission to the Vatican Museums. To me it will be well worth it not waiting in line in the hot July sun! Hope this helps!

I have read alot of posts that say not all companies are allowed to guide us through the vatican/churches/museums... can this company guide is through all of these places?

I emailed Angel Tours, based on what I have read on these boards, for our trip in July. Look on their website, all of the prices are there. Angeltoursrome.com I loved the site! I think it's 25 euros for adults, plus admission to the Vatican Museums. To me it will be well worth it not waiting in line in the hot July sun! Hope this helps!

Yes their web site is very nice. BUT, I believeyou still have to wait in line for your tickets. I am pretty sure. If you go directly through the vatican and book, you can skip the line.

Following tours are available:

- Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel

- Vatican Gardens

- Vatican Gardens and Sistine Chapel (groups only)

GUIDED TOURS FOR INDIVIDUALS:

VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (2 hours)

The tour itinerary takes visitors through the most significant cultural and religious areas within the Vatican Museums: the Pio Clementino (classical antiquity), the Geographical Maps and Tapestries Galleries (Renaissance art), the Raphael’s Rooms and The Sistine Chapel.

From March through October:

from Monday through Friday at: 10.30am - 12.00am - 2.00pm; on Saturday at: 10.30am and 11.30am

From November through February: everyday but Sundays at 10.30a.m.

Rates: full fare € 23.50; reduced € 18.50

The above rates include admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

VATICAN GARDENS (2 hours)

The guided tour of the Vatican Gardens is also a glimpse of the Vatican City State, the smallest independent state in the world: Journey through natural settings, historic monuments and works of art that span its 2000 year history.

From March through October: at 11.00 am on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

From November through February: only on Saturday at 11.00 a.m.

Rates: full fare € 12.00; reduced € 8.00

GUIDED TOURS FOR GROUPS

VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (about 2 hours)

Every weekday with advance reservation

The above rates include admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

VATICAN GARDENS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (3 hours)

Everyday except on Wednesdays and Sundays, with advance reservation

Rates: full fare € 26.50; reduced € 17.50

The above rates include the admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

Rates: full fare € 13,50; reduced € 9.50

The above rates include guided tour service and headset.

HOW TO RESERVE

It is necessary to book in advance by fax.

Bookings are valid only if you receive our fax confirmation to be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit.

For guided tours of individuals, an advanced booking is needed from one month to one week to the date of the visit.

For guided tours of groups, an advanced booking is needed from two months to two weeks to the date of the visit.

USEFUL INFORMATION

Tickets have to be purchased the same day of the guided tour.

Meeting point and departure is from the Guided Tours desk inside the Museums.

To avoid any queue, all visitors, individuals or groups booked with this Office, are entitled to enter through the main gate of the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano. Facing the Vatican Museums Entrance door, the line on the right is specifically for reserved guided Vatican tours.

We suggest to arrive at least 15 minutes before schedule.

Reduced rates for pilgrimages and school groups: on the day of the visit a letter with the heading of the parish signed by the local Diocese or with the heading of the school signed by the Principal must be presented at the Guided Tours desk.

This office requires to receive at least three days before the visit a list with the names of all partecipants. Lacking to receive this last document, the visit will be not allowed.

All the reservations, dates and departures time may be changed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances related to activities of the Holy Father.

Cancelled guided tours may be rescheduled.

Visitors not attired properly will be refused admittance.

II there is no written replay from our behalf, the booking is considered not valid.

OFFICE FOR GUIDED TOURS

Fax reservation : 06 6988 5100

Check out RomeWalks.com. We did a walking tour of the Vatican with them. They only allow a maximum of 10 people in the group and you have a private guide the entire time. It's a long tour (about 6 hours) but worth it.

Following tours are available:

- Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel

- Vatican Gardens

- Vatican Gardens and Sistine Chapel (groups only)

GUIDED TOURS FOR INDIVIDUALS:

VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (2 hours)

The tour itinerary takes visitors through the most significant cultural and religious areas within the Vatican Museums: the Pio Clementino (classical antiquity), the Geographical Maps and Tapestries Galleries (Renaissance art), the Raphael’s Rooms and The Sistine Chapel.

From March through October:

from Monday through Friday at: 10.30am - 12.00am - 2.00pm; on Saturday at: 10.30am and 11.30am

From November through February: everyday but Sundays at 10.30a.m.

The guided tour of the Vatican Gardens is also a glimpse of the Vatican City State, the smallest independent state in the world: Journey through natural settings, historic monuments and works of art that span its 2000 year history.

From March through October: at 11.00 am on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

From November through February: only on Saturday at 11.00 a.m.

Rates: full fare € 12.00; reduced € 8.00

GUIDED TOURS FOR GROUPS

VATICAN MUSEUMS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (about 2 hours)

Every weekday with advance reservation

VATICAN GARDENS AND SISTINE CHAPEL (3 hours)

Rates: full fare € 26.50; reduced € 17.50

The above rates include the admission to the Museums, guided tour service and headset.

Rates: full fare € 13,50; reduced € 9.50

The above rates include guided tour service and headset.

HOW TO RESERVE

Bookings are valid only if you receive our fax confirmation to be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit.

For guided tours of individuals, an advanced booking is needed from one month to one week to the date of the visit.

For guided tours of groups, an advanced booking is needed from two months to two weeks to the date of the visit.

USEFUL INFORMATION

Tickets have to be purchased the same day of the guided tour.

Meeting point and departure is from the Guided Tours desk inside the Museums.

To avoid any queue, all visitors, individuals or groups booked with this Office, are entitled to enter through the main gate of the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano. Facing the Vatican Museums Entrance door, the line on the right is specifically for reserved guided Vatican tours.

We suggest to arrive at least 15 minutes before schedule.

Reduced rates for pilgrimages and school groups: on the day of the visit a letter with the heading of the parish signed by the local Diocese or with the heading of the school signed by the Principal must be presented at the Guided Tours desk.

This office requires to receive at least three days before the visit a list with the names of all partecipants. Lacking to receive this last document, the visit will be not allowed.

All the reservations, dates and departures time may be changed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances related to activities of the Holy Father.

Cancelled guided tours may be rescheduled.

Visitors not attired properly will be refused admittance.

II there is no written replay from our behalf, the booking is considered not valid.

OFFICE FOR GUIDED TOURS

Fax reservation : 06 6988 5100

Has anyone on this board actually been SUCCESSFUL booking directly through the fax number above? I tried it a number of times tonight and the call would not go through. All I got was an opator recording saying: We're sorry. You're call did not go through. Please try it again". I tried many times but same results. Is the fax number above ALL I need to dial or are there additional numbers I do not know??? Help, please!

I think I found my own answer! To dial a fax to Italy from the US add 011, then the country code (39) then the number. So the COMPLETE fax number for the Vatican tours is: 011 39 0669885100

I just faxed for my reservations. Now to see if they fax me back!

I think I found my own answer! To dial a fax to Italy from the US add 011, then the country code (39) then the number. So the COMPLETE fax number for the Vatican tours is: 011 39 0669885100

I just faxed for my reservations. Now to see if they fax me back!

We were successful in getting a reservation this way. I included my email address in my faxed request and they confirmed the reservation by email within a few days.

Thanks Susan. Wish I had thought to include my email in the fax I sent last night. Sure wish we could have just sent an email to begin with! It took me HOURS last night to figure out exactly what to dial for the fax! I have my phone dedicated to fax (we only have one line) until we hear back from the Vatican Tours and that is rather inconvenient as I have no idea how long this will take, so we are just not answering any calls and the other end hears the fax beep! We have a cell phone too so told people we know to call that number. Hope I get a return fax from the Vatican Tours before too long! If not, I will try to send it again, your way. I send very few faxes and this is an old machine. Hope they can read it!

I have faxed the Vatican three times and have not received a reply. It has been over a week since my last attempt.

Don't seem to be having much luck. Any other options anyone can offer?

Yikes!:eek: That is not good news, Rabbit of Caerbannog!! How exactly did you word your successful fax, Susan-M? You appear to be the only one on here that has actually received an answer back from the Vatican Tours.

Just a word of warning for booking the Vatican this was by fax. We did this last year and did it months out and we did not hear back from them till about three days before we were due to fly. They had us scheduled to start the tour 9:30 am on the morning we landed in Rome and we were coming in at 8:30 am so we were able to fax them back and got it moved to 10:30 am which part of my party were able to go on (the other part were to tired to go after the plane trip). I am taking another party back this June and I again faxed them months ago and I hope to hear back from them a couple of days before we depart.

Just a word of warning for booking the Vatican this was by fax. We did this last year and did it months out and we did not hear back from them till about three days before we were due to fly. They had us scheduled to start the tour 9:30 am on the morning we landed in Rome and we were coming in at 8:30 am so we were able to fax them back and got it moved to 10:30 am which part of my party were able to go on (the other part were to tired to go after the plane trip). I am taking another party back this June and I again faxed them months ago and I hope to hear back from them a couple of days before we depart.

Yikes!:eek: This is tough when you don't have a dedicated fax line and have to switch back and forth. We are flying out 10 days from today. Hope Vatican Tours gets back to us in time! I will send another fax tonight and make sure to include my email address so perhaps they can send a response that way as a previous poster stated.

James, they specifically say 2 months out for groups and one month for individuals. I am not sure, but would you assume a "group" would be 10 persons? They really are not clear.

It also states that the first tour is 10:30am, so I guess it would be could to state if one could go earlier (if in Rome the night before) if anything is available.

We faxed our request twice since last week and we have not heard anything. maybe we'll give it another try this time with my e-mail address. it's worth a shot.

We leave in 30 days.

Peggy

Their web site clearly states:

HOW TO RESERVE

Not sure it is relevant, but you may want to send asnother fax WITHIN the one month time frame just to be on the safe side.

On the other hand, we leave in 8 days and STILL have not received a reply! I started trying to fax only two weeks ago. Took me awhile before it showed that the fax transmission was actually successful. I do not have a dedicated fax machine and have to switch it over manually to fax and receive faxes. Forgot to include an email address as I did not know they would respond to that. Sure wish THEY had one! My phone has been OFF now with fax receiving capability ONLY for more than a week and we have to tell everyone to just call our cell phone! Otherwise callers just hear the beep of the fax when calling our house!

Their web site clearly states:

HOW TO RESERVE

Not sure it is relevant, but you may want to send asnother fax WITHIN the one month time frame just to be on the safe side.

On the other hand, we leave in 8 days and STILL have not received a reply! I started trying to fax only two weeks ago. Took me awhile before it showed that the fax transmission was actually successful. I do not have a dedicated fax machine and have to switch it over manually to fax and receive faxes. Forgot to include an email address as I did not know they would respond to that. Sure wish THEY had one! My phone has been OFF now with fax receiving capability ONLY for more than a week and we have to tell everyone to just call our cell phone! Otherwise callers just hear the beep of the fax when calling our house!

Good idea, I'll send another one just to be sure. This is nerve racking. It will now be too late to book with a tour guide. We wanted to go through the Vatican though. i guess we have to just wait it out, like I said, nerve racking. Let me know if you hear.

Have a good one,

Peggy

Good idea, I'll send another one just to be sure. This is nerve racking. It will now be too late to book with a tour guide. We wanted to go through the Vatican though. i guess we have to just wait it out, like I said, nerve racking. Let me know if you hear.

Have a good one,

Peggy

The Vatican is notorious for waithing until the last minute. You may very well have a reservation even if you don't hear on time so be sure and check.

Tony at http://www.goporta.com can be a great help, call the number for their US call center and they will walk you through.

The other option is www.icontours.com They have group and private tour options, and thier scholars (guides) are incredible. Their 2 hour group tour is much better than the Vatican tour and lasts much longer in many cases, depending on the group. If their are three of you, the private "Gold Option" may even be better! Tell Angela Tom from Montana says Hi!!! They also have a Us call center @ 1.310.933.5972

You are far from too late for a great tour, so don't despair!!!!

The Vatican is notorious for waithing until the last minute. You may very well have a reservation even if you don't hear on time so be sure and check.

Tony at http://www.goporta.com can be a great help, call the number for their US call center and they will walk you through.

The other option is www.icontours.com They have group and private tour options, and thier scholars (guides) are incredible. Their 2 hour group tour is much better than the Vatican tour and lasts much longer in many cases, depending on the group. If their are three of you, the private "Gold Option" may even be better! Tell Angela Tom from Montana says Hi!!! They also have a Us call center @ 1.310.933.5972

You are far from too late for a great tour, so don't despair!!!!

Thanks!!!

Actually we booked a tour of the coliseum and pantenon through ICON, funny you should mention them.

Perhaps we'll just book the Vatican with them also, I think we'll a few $$ by booking more than one tour too.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

How true - just a quick update - we received our fax from the vatican at 4:30 am this morning ---- we leave for Rome today at 3pm!!!!!

We faxed them a couple times - the last time about 4 weeks ago - so truly don't despair - just when you think all is lost!!!!

The vatican must have a pretty good source for knowing when to send:D !!!!

How true - just a quick update - we received our fax from the vatican at 4:30 am this morning ---- we leave for Rome today at 3pm!!!!!

We faxed them a couple times - the last time about 4 weeks ago - so truly don't despair - just when you think all is lost!!!!

The vatican must have a pretty good source for knowing when to send:D !!!!

Thanks for the update. I feel better now. We faxed them again and we still haven't heard. I guess we'll know in three weeks when we are in Rome:eek: .

Enjoy your trip and please post a review when you return.

Peggy

I just returned from Rome and had a wonderful tour of the Vatican Museum with my faxed reservation. I had the hotel in Rome fax for me and when we arrived, the fax confirmation was waiting!! No glitches-except all those people in line waiting get a bit upset when they see you going right in!! Even had one independant tour guide grab my shirt to push me back so her group could get thru as she was waiting in the long line with them!! It was a great tour! and well worth the effort!

Diane

Archived