Live from the CB: It's norovirus!!

bethcollins

Yep, that's right folks, the dreaded norovirus has joined our cruise. Sometime this morning the extra precautions went into effect. We saw workers in hazmat suits in the hallways of Lido deck fumigating some matresses from an inside cabin and several crew members have told us about the outbreak. My Dd called the front desk to see how prevalent the virus is, but they refused to confirm that there were any reported cases. I was on the Star just three weeks ago, and I have to say that they are much more lax on the CB as far as requiring passengers to use the hand sanitizers. I realize that they don't kill off the virus completely, but don't we all want to know that everything that can be done is? I can't understand the need for secrecy. We would like to know just how severe an outbreak it is. I'll try to check back in later if I get more info.

Beth

Yep, that's right folks, the dreaded norovirus has joined our cruise. Sometime this morning the extra precautions went into effect. We saw workers in hazmat suits in the hallways of Lido deck fumigating some matresses from an inside cabin and several crew members have told us about the outbreak. My Dd called the front desk to see how prevalent the virus is, but they refused to confirm that there were any reported cases. I was on the Star just three weeks ago, and I have to say that they are much more lax on the CB as far as requiring passengers to use the hand sanitizers. I realize that they don't kill off the virus completely, but don't we all want to know that everything that can be done is? I can't understand the need for secrecy. We would like to know just how severe an outbreak it is. I'll try to check back in later if I get more info.

Beth

Please keep us posted.

Well all you can do is keep yourself and your family as healthy as possible. Wash hands long and often with warm soapy water AND when in port, treat yourself to some wonderful local papaya :D There is an enzyme in Papaya that is wonderful for the stomach and digestive system. Just a little herbal tip ;)

Papaya shakes are delightful :p

Happy Sailing,

Anne

We just got off the CB Sunday and didn't see any norovirus activity but that sure does not mean it was not there. As a precaution we wiped down our room from top to bottom & used that clorox spray on cabin door, balcony & drawer handles. We also tried to stay away from the buffets and also used the gel a lot. Hope you guys stay well--just wash often and you should be fine :)

Not to hijack the thread, but I have norovirus questions:

Is norovirus primarily contracted during shore excurions in foreign countries or from cruise passengers bringing it onboard upon embarkation?

Would a person possessiong reasonable sanitation habits (wash hands always after using the restroom, before eating) need to worry about contracting it?

Not to hijack the thread, but I have norovirus questions:

Is norovirus primarily contracted during shore excurions in foreign countries or from cruise passengers bringing it onboard upon embarkation?

Would a person possessiong reasonable sanitation habits (wash hands always after using the restroom, before eating) need to worry about contracting it?

in this case, because the ship just left Lauderdale on Sunday evening, it would have been brought aboard by someone at embarkation

on the matter of your second question....take all the precautions you can, including using sanitizers after going through the buffet and before eating your food.....

One added precaution. Don't use stair handrails unless you HAVE to. That is one major place it gets passed from person to person. Also don't rely completely on the gel. Wash your hands a LOT.

Yes...we did have it on our STAR cruise April 14-21.

We heard about it on Wed. By Thurs, they were in high gear

to prevent it from getting worse. All we heard was...alot of people were sick. We saw signs that they were fogging Deck 7.

We couldn't touch anything in the buffet. Everything including the plates, silverware and food/beverages was handle by staff only. No one could touch anything.

That prompted us to eat our breakfast in the dining room for the remainder of the cruise which we actually found that we liked better.

I thought the crew did a great job and appreciated them doing that.:eek:

Beth

The day we were to embark on the Star, we were delayed at the airport. One of the tour people there told us that there were a "number" of passengers who had become ill on the cruise and that the ship was being thoroughly disinfected. No other information was forthcoming and I was very nervous about touching anything on the ship when we first arrived. The hand sanitizers were being very carefully manned at the buffet and the other restaurants and for the first several meals at the buffet, servers had to serve everything. After the first day or so, things became much more lax and we went back to serving ourselves at the buffet. This caused some confusion among our fellow passengers who had no idea why such things were so stringent those first days. Good luck with your cruise! I know how the idea of possibly becoming ill made us super cautious and more than a little nervous.

Hi There,

Was on the Sun just after christmas with the bug, did not catch it, just because it is onboard with you does not mean you will get it. Apart from washing your hands every chance you get, do not put your hands near your mouth, do not eat food with your fingers etc.

Be careful try not to touch any items that can be touched by all eg handles , hand rails etc.

It does not need to take over your cruise,

have a good cruise

yours Shogun

Yep, that's right folks, the dreaded norovirus has joined our cruise. Sometime this morning the extra precautions went into effect...........

Beth

Because of the incubation period of this bug, I’m guessing you saw the results of someone who got on the ship WITH the bug.

If the pax from the infected cabin were slobs, you will start to see whom they infected on Wednesday.

We’re due to be on the CB in a month.

We were on the CB Easter week 4-8 thru 15th. The week before room steward and 2 other crew member said about 300 were sick including crew(someone on this board said it was like 115. We were delayed for about 2 hours before they let anyone board. We werent allowed to touch anything but coffee, water and tea. Every morning they would be spraying down our hallways and scrubbing the decks with those suits on. On our cruise our cabin steward said he heard that there were just 10 people sick that he knew of. Try not to use public bathrooms and wash wash wash your hands!

Suzie

Skip the elevator too--take the stairs & don't touch the railing unless you start tumbling down!! :) Also wash or use gel after opening doors. As I did see people not washing their hands last week. :eek:

I guess we have to look back to our days in kindergarten....Keep your hands to yourself, wash your hands after going potty and keep your hands out of your mouth!!:)

I did get the virus a couple years ago but I am a germ freak so I was puzzled as to how I got it. I do not use railings and never touch the elevator buttons. I am sure I got it from touching the spoons in the buffet and then eating a piece of bacon off my plate with my hand. Try to wash your hands after going thru the buffet line and try not to eat anything with your hands. I have to say eating bacon with a fork was a bit interesting. :p This time around we were even more careful, we just got off the CB on Sunday and never contracted anything. If you remember the rules of kindergarten you should be safe!! :D

Your first clue that there's trouble aboard is when the salt and pepper shakers disappear from the tables in the buffet area. When they disappear in the diningroom too, the ship is usually at code Red. We've been on several ships, several times, when "noro" was in progress. You can never be too careful. I have learned that when using a public restroom to open the door with the paper towel I've just used to dry my hands. Then again, if the ship is on alert, the public restroom doors will be ajar.

Pia

Another sign is when they stop putting a basket of rolls on your table in the dinning room and 'pats' of butter. They change to serving you rolls one at a time and the little butters that you need to peal open :( .

The pools are chlorinated, so they are not usually going to be a source. Just wash your hands frequently with lots of warm, soapy water, keep your hands to yourself, operate elevator buttons with your knuckle, use forearms, shoulders, hips, whatever to move doors, use the sanitizer gel whenever you come across it.

We have been fortunate not to contract it even during outbreaks during trips we have been on. Our neighbors, who cruise a lot, came down with Noro within 12 hours of being on board their most recent cruise. They undoubtedly brought it aboard with them, perhaps as a result of their travels to the ship.

I think it also helps to be "robustly healthy" before you get aboard. For us that means our multivitamins, a few days of Airborne before traveling, and trying to stay well-rested. I am sure some may take issue with the vitamins and Airbourne, but so far we have been lucky. We will stick with that as a pre-cruise ritual.

from my daughter, a pharmacy major:

we learned all about norovirus in microbiology. it's spread mostly

airborne b/c it causes vomiting and the aerosol can stay in the air

for a few hours. it is also spread by food handlers and is very hard

to get rid of b/c it's fairly resistant to chlorine. and, it takes a

VERY small amt to get infected (like 10 virus particles) so it doesnt

take much. you're mainly going to get it by eating though.. not so

much touching stuff.

I do agree it could be the cruise ship food handlers, they never get off the

boat (at least until their contract is up).

I do agree it could be the cruise ship food handlers, they never get off the

boat (at least until their contract is up).

I disagree, because then all ships would constantly be on alert. The crew can't afford to be sick. It's the passengers.

Archived